Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod
Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

58 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Current top 20 also includes ABBA, two albums from Fleetwood Mac, and Elton John...

Album charts were always a bit like that. Just that it's changed from 1950s artists to 1970s and '80s.

Even taking into consideration different formats such as vinyl, cassette, CD, download, etc. it always makes me wonder why someone who buys an album like Dark Side Of The Moon didn't buy it decades ago!

But I can definitely see a case of going to see those bands/artists that are playing if you do like them. Go and see them now as they aren't going to be there forever. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Even taking into consideration different formats such as vinyl, cassette, CD, download, etc. it always makes me wonder why someone who buys an album like Dark Side Of The Moon didn't buy it decades ago!

Certainly in the vinyl days it was not unknown to have to buy a replacement for a worn out/damaged copy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's surprising how many people, especially younger ones and non brits , have not heard

of bands and artists that we know from years ago .

There are numerous YouTube reaction videos of people hearing songs or tunes for the first time ,

here is one I came across recently . The video they are reacting to is a clever mix of the song

and a film .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I have bought ‘Animal Tracks’ in vinyl, as a tape cassette and on a CD. 

The vinyl LP had hot coffee spilled on it and developed a warp of about an inch; my sister appropriated the cassette. Hence the purchase of the CD. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think that there is also a gowing market for these 'classic' albums amoungst younger music lovers, who realize that autotune and quantization have destroyed all that is worth hearing in music. They are buying them for the first time. Almost all new music is created / repaired on a computer. I have two sons who are scratching a living as professional musicians. Both I am pleased to say, perform live and in the studio with no use of klik tracks, or pitch correction. Their music is vibrant and living as a result. No recording company will touch them because they spend too many hours getting things right, rather than fixing them in software. The eldest lad’s band was invited over to record in Abbey Road by a Danish student producer there who used them as a project in his studies. That was an amazing experience, and the result was brilliant (OK I’m not totally objective). But they did make Abbey Road history, they recorded the first Danish Language songs in the studio’s history.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I think that there is also a gowing market for these 'classic' albums amoungst younger music lovers, who realize that autotune and quantization have destroyed all that is worth hearing in music.

#1 Daughter (with a degree in Music Production) abhores the amount of compression that is put on most digital tracks for download or radio. She prefers vinyl on a turntable or CD played over an I2C connection. She has recently been found playing Quadrophenia and Dark Side of The Moon. Both from 1973 so 50-years old !!!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

I think that there is also a gowing market for these 'classic' albums amoungst younger music lovers, who realize that autotune and quantization have destroyed all that is worth hearing in music. They are buying them for the first time. Almost all new music is created / repaired on a computer. I have two sons who are scratching a living as professional musicians. Both I am pleased to say, perform live and in the studio with no use of klik tracks, or pitch correction. Their music is vibrant and living as a result. No recording company will touch them because they spend too many hours getting things right, rather than fixing them in software. The eldest lad’s band was invited over to record in Abbey Road by a Danish student producer there who used them as a project in his studies. That was an amazing experience, and the result was brilliant (OK I’m not totally objective). But they did make Abbey Road history, they recorded the first Danish Language songs in the studio’s history.

What I mean is the sales have always been steady rather than a new audience.

When you look at the charts and it says it's been in the Top 40 for 1000 weeks you do start wonder why someone has suddenly decided to buy that album rather than buying it twenty years ago!

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

Do people really go "Wow! I like that band I just heard for the first time ABBA. I really must run out and buy their album"? 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

What I mean is the sales have always been steady rather than a new audience.

When you look at the charts and it says it's been in the Top 40 for 1000 weeks you do start wonder why someone has suddenly decided to buy that album rather than buying it twenty years ago!

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

Do people really go "Wow! I like that band I just heard for the first time ABBA. I really must run out and buy their album"? 🤣

Maybe not Abba, though their material probably didn't get played on Radio One for a couple of decades. The Mamma Mia movies possibly attracted fresh followers among the previously uninitiated.

There are plenty of others to be "discovered" anew, though.  Probably a generational thing, as likely as not! When popular music questions come up on University Challenge, I've been surprised that a number of bands I considered household names seemed to have entirely passed the contestants by.

I blame "playlists", which tend to lead to folk listening to their favourite stuff over and over, whereas (some) Radio stations stimulate the widening of ones musical horizons. Something played on R6 or Desert Island Discs on R2 will pique my interest, and I'll pick up a CD in Oxfam or a cheapie off Amazon to explore further. It can be a slippery slope, but is usually an enjoyable ride!

People don't necessarily latch onto bands when they are "current", either. Although I was (fairly vaguely) aware of them in their heyday, I only really began to get into Talking Heads about six years ago, aged 65!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2023 at 15:00, Steamport Southport said:

It's a long time since I bought it, but it was a long time after it came out when I did - I wasn't even born when Dark Side of the Moon was released!

• Like 1

My enjoyment is listening to Jelly Roll Morton and the Red Hot Peppers 1923-27 recordings.  I bought an LP of these recordings in Shaftesbury Avenue in October 1962 (my first week at London Uni).  They were only 40 years old back then and I now have digitally re-mastered copies in various formats collected in the years since, along with practically everything I have been able to find recorded by Mister Jelly.  His Dead Man Blues will be played at my funeral.

Perhaps of more interest to this list is that, in the same week, the Beatles were on Parade of the Pops at the Playhouse Theatre under Charing Cross Station.  A gang of us went to hear and see them.  I still recall the looks on the faces of the session musicians sitting on the stage behind the Beatles.  They were incredulous to say the least, if not downright scornful . . .

Incidentally, the group preceding the Beatles at the top of the hit Parade was the Temperance Seven featuring Whispering Paul McDowell (sp?)

Stan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Very possible , as I mentioned previously , go to YouTube ,in the search bar type in

first time hearing and then an artist of your choice and see the results . Then come back

and tell us what you found .

• Like 2