Exhibition advice neede.

hoovernut

Evening all.

I have just been invited to bresingham to show my layout "Kingswood Yard" and was wondering if there was one piece of advice you could give me what would it be. As i mentioned this will be my first time showing my layout.

Thanks

Mick

DO a trial run first, even if you don't do a full set up. Say a church hall or a mates garage. A test run will tell you what you need to take with you and what you don't need.

It'll also test your vehicle loading plan, unloading plan, set up plan, stock selection and the like.

Andy.

Don't bother taking a stool, you won't have enough time to sit on it since you will be too busy operating and chatting. Use the space saved to take a few spares and every tool that you used during the construction of the layout. A gas soldering iron is jolly handy.

Yes sit down as much as possible or else you will need at least a couple of days to get over it all ,make the day a fun one and talk to the punters.Be prepared for daft questions and take a comprehensive tool kit you will need it.Food is also a requirement pies are a good bet especaly Cornish ones! But you will enjoy yourself especialy if you have a movement diagram you can flip over that will stop many daft questions and let get things right and at the end of the day run a Thomas train for a laugh and then go and have a pint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I also have a small (8 inch) fan under the layout as this time of year it gets very sweaty.

Tip 2, Track Magic, or similar.

Tip 3, Camera to record the event for prosperity.

Tip 4, Backup Operators, that know what they are doing, you will need a break.

Tip 5, Don't moan about anything, to the operators, the organisers, or Joe Public.

Tip 6, Talk to as many people as you can, especially those with Ankle Bitters.

Tip 7, Get up early and allow for delays on the road.

Tip 8 Be ready half hour before the show opens.

Tip 9, Re check the car, and its contents against a check list before you set off.

Tip 10, Re check your area before setting off home to ensure you have everyting.

AND FINALLY, seek out the organisers at the end of the day and THANK THEM WITH A GOOD HAND SHAKE.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

And bottled water...dont dehydrate.

Definitely agree with this one. Aldi do 12 small bottles for about £2.50 and they are idea to have around at shows. Lots of halls are hot and dry and a lack of water drinking gives you headaches and loss of concentration.  

• RMweb Premium

DO a trial run first, even if you don't do a full set up. Say a church hall or a mates garage. A test run will tell you what you need to take with you and what you don't need.

It'll also test your vehicle loading plan, unloading plan, set up plan, stock selection and the like.

Andy.

Do as Andy has suggested with your operating crew. This so you all know what you are doing. Two things I have found, one is feeling like a spare **** at a wedding when trying to help a mate with his train set. He knows what he is doing when setting up and taking down but no one else does. The other is having someone on your crew who thinks he knows how your layout, stock and transport should be packed, they tend not to be reinvited again.

I have done a few show's and all i can say is well done every one and there is a couple of points that i had not thought about the water and fan but most of all have fun one of the best bits of the hobby

kev

Top piece of advice from me - clean clean clean - track, wheels pickups etc. The cleaner it all is, the more likely you will get a show full of decent running.

Oh just thought, the most important piece of advice I can give is to enjoy it, exhibiting is a bug, once bitten, you will be searching for your next!!!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I would recommend having a pack of wetwipes and a pack of hankies/some kitchen roll with you.  Unless your layout is completely hands-free you're going to need to touch the stock throughout the day, and with lunch and biscuits and shaking peoples hands etc you're going to end up with greasy fingers, which will be transferred to your stock - so keep cleaning your fingers with the wetwipes.  And hankies/roll to wipe up spills etc.

Good luck!

Simon

Archived