Exhibition advice neede.

hoovernut

My biggest piece of advice has already been mentioned but I think It's so important I'll say it again:

Clean evey wheel on every single piece of rolling stock which you are taking with you and clean evey bit of the track on the layout. Do the latter before you go and before you put any stock on the layout. It's the only way to ensure a trouble free weekend. Another related thing is to not be shy about cleaning the track whilst your operating. I tend to do it when there's fewer people in front of the layout.

Another tip about stock is to take plenty with you. I often get jibes from fellow club members about the amount of stock I take to shows. However if a loco fails I have another to replace it. Same goes for rolling stock. If anything starts misbehaving its evicted. You'll have plenty of time to problem solve at home after the show or after closing time on the saturday.

Very good point, don't bother continuing using an item of rolling stock or loco if it is causing trouble, ditch and replace! Remember that people have paid to attend the show and do not really want to see you prodding everything although people do accept there will be issues.

As I said before though, the most important thing is to enjoy it!!

Simon

I would like to thank each and everyone one for the advice a good luck. I will Report back after the show next week and if you do happen to pop by the show at bressingham come and say hello. I may look big and scary but I don't bite , well not very hard.

Regards

Mick.

I'm slightly surprised that no one yet has mentioned couplings?..... check the couplings (even R-T-R types) on each and every loco and piece of stock, because if they don't work properly - and especially UNcouple properly - they'll prove to be highly irritating to both you and the Punters....

One thing that sticks out for me is wear comfortable shoes! I have done both Warley and the Glasgow show in slippers! I also made a laminated checklist to tick off (as they are put into the van/car everytime a layout goes out, that way you know you haven't forgotten anything, unhappy memories of getting to Glasgow and realising that the lighting rig was wrapped up nice and neat, on the kitchen table in Harrogate! A trip to b & q, some 2"x2" and  2 fluorescent lights later and the problem was remedied, but it did cause a rather stressful set up day!

Chris

Yep sorry buddy this weekend is budgierygard not trains...!!

Oops!

All this advice is good to read as i have my first exhibition this weekend, setting up tomorow evening.

Looks like i'll need an Iveco Daily high top LWB at this rate!! :-)

Jack

Edit: i couldn't spell evening!

• RMweb Gold

I would like to thank each and everyone one for the advice a good luck. I will Report back after the show next week and if you do happen to pop by the show at bressingham come and say hello. I may look big and scary but I don't bite , well not very hard.

Regards

Mick.

Is this you ?

http://www.bressingham.co.uk/content/eventarticle.aspx?id=14

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with pretty much all of the above; PLUS, have some information handouts about your layout, to give to other exhibition managers who will invite you to their shows.

And a notebook to record their information.

Best of luck, and above all enjoy yourself!

Cheers, Dave.

Very good point, don't bother continuing using an item of rolling stock or loco if it is causing trouble, ditch and replace! Remember that people have paid to attend the show and do not really want to see you prodding everything although people do accept there will be issues.

As I said before though, the most important thing is to enjoy it!!

Simon

Don't just put it back in the stock box, though. If possible attach a piece of paper/card to it, with a note on how it misbehaved; Sod's Law says that if you just put it back in the box, you'll forget it had a problem, or the nature of same, and put it back into service with the defect still present. This is completely prototypical...

Do you have, or will you need some lights?

If something won't run or derails = label it and put it away.

Remember, most punters walk up, loo and are gone, so keep the action going.

Also remember that the punters will have paid good money to attend.

Finally, enjoy yourself

I have a question, how do you actually get interest in your layout, I'm not a member of a club as its very difficult with my work to commit to club nights but I would like to possibly exhibit, that's if my layout is of a good enough standard

Archived