Kernow Model Rail Centre - Cornish Exclusive Wagons OO Gauge

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - Cornish Exclusive Wagons OO Gauge

Bachmann OO Gauge Delabole Slate Triple Pack
We have commissioned Bachmann to produce a batch of Presflo wagons as used by Delabole Slate for the transportation of slate dust.  The pack will contain three wagons with individual running numbers and Delafila Delabole Slate branding.  We expect to receive the models around the end of this year and pre-orders are invited.
prod_40761.jpg
 38-260Y Bachmann Presflo Triple Pack £49.95 (£44.95 pre-orders)

Dapol OO Gauge Silver Bullets Weathered
We have commissioned Dapol to produce a further batch of the Silver Bullet china clay slurry wagon.  The previous versions sold out very quickly and we constantly receive requests for further models with the excellent weathered finish.  There will be two running numbers available and these models will carry ECC International branding.  We expect to receive the models around the end of this year and pre-orders are invited.

prod_39459.jpg B850ZA Dapol Silver Bullet £37.99 (£34.99 pre-orders)

prod_39459.jpg B850ZB Dapol Silver Bullet £37.99 (£34.99 pre-orders)

• RMweb Premium

Really glad they have finally done the Delabole slate wagons! I provided them with the information on the livery and lettering a few years back and have been prodding ever since. Huzzar!

Edit

And before anyone comments on the strange letter spacing on the wagon side, it is totally prototypical and based on photographic evidence and the notes a chap passed to me at a show about 5 years ago.  

Really glad they have finally done this! I provided them with the information on the livery and lettering a few years back and have been prodding ever since. Huzzar!

Your name was mentioned (politely for once) in a conversation this afternoon as being to blame. :P

• RMweb Premium

Did they ever run in more than one or two at a time?

Two is the most I've seen in a single train but you could have 2 going one way and one being returned empty.

They were very camera shy.

Wonder if they will do the CovHop version......

• RMweb Gold

Really glad they have finally done the Delabole slate wagons! I provided them with the information on the livery and lettering a few years back and have been prodding ever since. Huzzar!

I wish I knew Chris Trevise as I'd prod him to do a new siphon for us GWR modellers. :jester: Nice wagons by the way.

Mickey,

Without going too far O/T, and not being an architect nor a historian, it seems that lime plaster and lime mortar were used in East Anglia before 1900. I don't know how long before, possibly centuries of use, or when use stopped, but the two Listed Buildings in Norfolk for which I have a little shared responsibility must have lime mortar and lime plaster specified for use in any approved repairs and restoration work. We can't just use exterior Polyfilla!

Richard

Mickey,

Without going too far O/T, and not being an architect nor a historian, it seems that lime plaster and lime mortar were used in East Anglia before 1900. I don't know how long before, possibly centuries of use, or when use stopped, but the two Listed Buildings in Norfolk for which I have a little shared responsibility must have lime mortar and lime plaster specified for use in any approved repairs and restoration work. We can't just use exterior Polyfilla!

Richard

With a little pigs' blood mixed in for that hideous pink colour you often saw on old buildings ??

Just a little more on the Delafila Prestflos.  According to The North Cornwall Railway, published by Irwell Press, the Delabole slate Co. originally transported Delafila in bags load in 12T vans. Then they tried a diagram 1.210 Covhop to bulk transport Delafila, but for some reason this was not successful, so they tried a diagram 1/272 Prestflo with more success, and five were lettered for this traffic as per the Kernow models.  Later the Presflos built for ICI salt traffic were allocated to this traffic, and at least one B888183 was lettered BULK DELAFILA. The traffic was thought to be consigned to Tonbridge.

However, to confuse matters in one recent DVD, a barely one second scene shot from a train passing Delabole, shows two diagram 1/210 Covhops in the sidings!

The Delafila traffic continued after closure of the North Cornwall line in 1966, and the traffic was loaded in Wadebridge goods shed until closure of that line to Boscarne Junction. In 1976 I visited the line, and at that time there were a number of Prestflos branded BULK SLATE, or SLATE POWDER plus some Prestwin wagons present both at Wadebridge and Bodmin General. I enclose a photograph of ex ICI Bulk Salt Prestflo B888191 at Bodmin.

Finally as an aside there were several diagram 1/272 Presflos lettered for  PULVERITE, whatever Pulverite was.  Any ideas folks?

post-8542-0-33594900-1377441823_thumb.jpg

There was a regular threesum (ohhhh arrgggg mrs!) that ran from Delabole as far as Carrick Road, where they would be reversed and then run via Carrick Moorside, Wadebridge then into Bodmin for onward transmission via the old GWR mainline.

They use to run into Devonport Dockyard, via Keyham, where the Royal Navy did something or other with the powder.

• RMweb Gold

Mickey,

Richard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pargeting

Just a little more on the Delafila Prestflos.  According to The North Cornwall Railway, published by Irwell Press, the Delabole slate Co. originally transported Delafila in bags load in 12T vans. Then they tried a diagram 1.210 Covhop to bulk transport Delafila, but for some reason this was not successful, so they tried a diagram 1/272 Prestflo with more success, and five were lettered for this traffic as per the Kernow models.  Later the Presflos built for ICI salt traffic were allocated to this traffic, and at least one B888183 was lettered BULK DELAFILA. The traffic was thought to be consigned to Tonbridge.

However, to confuse matters in one recent DVD, a barely one second scene shot from a train passing Delabole, shows two diagram 1/210 Covhops in the sidings!

The Delafila traffic continued after closure of the North Cornwall line in 1966, and the traffic was loaded in Wadebridge goods shed until closure of that line to Boscarne Junction. In 1976 I visited the line, and at that time there were a number of Prestflos branded BULK SLATE, or SLATE POWDER plus some Prestwin wagons present both at Wadebridge and Bodmin General. I enclose a photograph of ex ICI Bulk Salt Prestflo B888191 at Bodmin.

Finally as an aside there were several diagram 1/272 Presflos lettered for  PULVERITE, whatever Pulverite was.  Any ideas folks?

This was discussed about five years ago in a previous iteration of this forum; 'Pulverite' was a trade name for pulverised coal. I've put a link in here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29856

but don't know if it'll work or not.

Although concrete has been used since at least the time of Alexander the Great, most buildings in this country were put together using lime mortar. Portland cement was developed in the late 18th century and gradually took over and is now ubiquitous. But repairs to older buildings, especially listed ones, should be made using lime mortar/washes. Trouble is, not many builders know how to use it any more...

• 2 months later...

My last house was very up-market and is in one of the most sought-after streets for miles around.  It was built in 1906 and had - and unless the current owner has done something about them, still has - horse-hair bound lime-based plaster on the walls.

My current house, on the other hand, was built in the 1870's to house the families of canal boatmen and is extremely down-market.  This is what divorce does to you!  All that separates me from my neighbours are paper-thin, single-brick walls and we all have floating foundations (an architects euphemism for "no foundations at all")  Yet we have comparatively modern, gypsum-based plaster on the walls.

I deduce from this that the change-over period from lime to gypsum-based plasters took place over somewhere in the region of a quarter of a century.  Can any architectural historians advise whether the change-over from lime to cement-based mortars happened during the same time period?

I deduce from this that the change-over period from lime to gypsum-based plasters took place over somewhere in the region of a quarter of a century.  Can any architectural historians advise whether the change-over from lime to cement-based mortars happened during the same time period?

I'd have thought it was more likely that the walls have been re-plastered, and would have originally been lime. I have a fine example of a vandalised mid 19th century Welsh house, where all the lime plaster downstairs was replaced by cement and gypsum plaster*, and upstairs is a mixture of dry lining over the original lime that's in a poor state, or new gypsum plaster. Plus the outside was covered in cement too. Do you know what the mortar is?

* Except for one alcove that was filled in to make the room boringly square and modern, and damp, that I've just uncovered!

The current plaster may be gypsum-based but it is still extremely ancient, so if it isn't original it must have been applied when the original was still improbably new.

The majority of the exterior walls are rendered, rendering (groan) the original mortar inaccessible.  What little isn't rendered is 1980's replacement.

When someone says "They don't build houses like they used to" the correct response is "Good!"

The current plaster may be gypsum-based but it is still extremely ancient, so if it isn't original it must have been applied when the original was still improbably new.

The majority of the exterior walls are rendered, rendering (groan) the original mortar inaccessible.  What little isn't rendered is 1980's replacement.

When someone says "They don't build houses like they used to" the correct response is "Good!"

This might help.  What you have may NOT be 'modern' gypsum plaster but the earlier 'slap it up quick' Victorian version!

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/gypsum/gypsum.htm

If it was built with lime mortar, and without a damp course, it should almost certainly have lime plaster/render, as the walls were intended to breath. Cement and modern gypsum will seal damp in the walls. I don't know about early gypsum, as all I'm concerned about at the moment is replacing cement and modern gypsum with lime.

Archived