Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

Did any Bachmann coaches ever have sprung buffers? I cannot think of any.

Certainly the Mk1's and 2's are all modelled with retracted buffers, as would be the case when running in a raft - so there was no need for Bachmann to put sprung buffers on them.

The only disadvantage this brings is when you need to have the end vehicle with the buffer heads extended, to buffer up to a loco - I havn't come across any BR extended sprung buffers in 4mm that look the part, yet ( someone with better knowledge than I could prove me wrong though ), so I've had to resort to hacking some of the Hornby 31/50 sprung buffers for the end vehicles in my coaching rafts - as per here for the time being......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/47966-southern-pride-mk2c-tso/

cheers

Andy

BTW, apologies for going off topic.....i'll get me coat........ :offtopic:

Mickey Mouse 2-6-0. 2MT...ability to work tender first. Bachmann do one.Just one suggestion.

Whatever was available I expect within reason. I've seen photos of an LMS 2P 4-4-0 and also a Mucky Duck Ivatt 4.

Hello Colin,

As previously stated, you would be safe with an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, a Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (see link) and by then, a Sulzer Type 2 (class 24 or 25).  I haven't seen many pictures of them paired with anything else until much later.

Alun

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 2mt so will use that to haul it.

Best wishes

Colin

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 2mt so will use that to haul it.

Best wishes

Colin

Don't you mean 'push' it.... That's the usual proceedure I understand, so the inspection people can see the road without a loco being in the way. 

Dave Franks.

Okay, here's the photos I promised earlier.

Straight out of the mould.

post-10324-0-07907100-1409419260.jpg

And with the head lightly polished with a 3M pad.

post-10324-0-62776500-1409419277.jpg

I will offer them drilled out for standard 1mm shank heads later but first I need to built up the stocks of the solid ones for EXPO North. 

Hope you like.

And Mike, all the buffers I saw  at SRPS were solid heads, no fabricated ones around.....

Dave Franks.

• Like 12

Mine arrived today and has been put through the workbench. Interior painted and a couple of figures added. Must get a seated Captain Kernow painted. First stage of weathering on the underframe on and wheels painted.

post-15-0-89652300-1409421402_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-37854200-1409421421_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-52014500-1409421459_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Just curious but how did the inspection team communicate with the loco driver?

I can imagine them being in front wanting to send orders back saying, go faster, slow down, stop, bring us some fireman,s breakfast and so forth....

If it was a push pull coach that would explain how but would equally demand a specially fitted loco. As far as I can tell they did not.

Maybe they used flag signals like a ship or a series of hoots etc etc. maybe some army radio kit....

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Mine will initially run with a baby deltic or class 40. Not typical I know but should turn heads at a show later this (especially as both are sound fitted!).

My first saloon tour in 1968/9 was with a Class 40 covering the Coventry PSB area.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My first saloon tour in 1968/9 was with a Class 40 covering the Coventry PSB area.

Remember seeing such a combination at BNS September 67 - D373 was doing the honours

Phil

I was wondering about regauging.  I guess I knew the wheels would be useless being split axle.  I wasn't sure about the bogie itself.  I don't like that they are cut away at the front (assuming they're the same as the Porthole) - looks weak to me.  I've got an old pair of Comet bogies that will come in handy.

Edit:  Post 189 shows the bogie is cut away.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering about regauging.  I guess I knew the wheels would be useless being split axle.  I wasn't sure about the bogie itself.  I don't like that they are cut away at the front (assuming they're the same as the Porthole) - looks weak to me.  I've got an old pair of Comet bogies that will come in handy.

John

Will the old-style Bachmann LMS bogies fit? I have a spare pair knocking about somewhere.

John

• RMweb Premium

John

The axles are short, only around 23.5mm see photo here:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3836

I suspect the older LMS bogie could be made to fit with some modification of the mounting/pivot. I considered doing that as a temporary fixed until I get around doing some sprung ones.

• RMweb Gold

And Mike, all the buffers I saw  at SRPS were solid heads, no fabricated ones around.....

Dave,

Although more knowledgable people might be along soon, I reckon from my, albeit limited, research that the original "heavy" type period 3 mainline stock had the fabricated buffers, and other lesser coaches, eg. suburbans, the one piece. Whether the LMS changed this during construction, or indiscrimate buffer swapping caused it, but there was a wider range of buffers fitted to all stock in later years..

Great news about the clipped head buffer, see you at Manchester for my Tunny bar.

Mike.

Hi Mike, The buffers I found at Bo-ness were on various coaches from Portholes to early Stanier BGs. All mainline heavy stock. Perhaps the solid bufferheads were replacements over the years. I will investigate further and maybe do the fabricated head but, what happens when someone wants sprung buffers..... An etch to put behind the sprung head perhaps - thinks?

post-10324-0-38654100-1409477444.jpg

Porthole on left and BG on right, both slightly compressed.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk

The axles are short, only around 23.5mm see photo here:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3836

I suspect the older LMS bogie could be made to fit with some modification of the mounting/pivot. I considered doing that as a temporary fixed until I get around doing some sprung ones.

I made up a pair of Bedford sprung bogies for my GUV upgrade.  Very nice I thought.  I glued sides from a Bachmann bogie to them although I would have been better off soldering some whitemetal sides.

P1010005-002_zpsbf858747.jpg

P1010012_zpsdff3ddef.jpg

The angled bodgework at one end is to clear Kadee couplings mounted under the buffer neam.

John

• Like 2

Regauging demands new bogies (due to the narrowness of the fitted bogies) so why not fit a pair of cast ones of the correct pattern. As an aside, the external secondary suspension brackets on these saloons hides whether the bogies are riveted or welded and I must admit I never really looked closely at the ones I saw.

Coachman, do you have any recommendation for the correct pattern? I have MJT cosmetic sides available.

As an aside, the external secondary suspension brackets on these saloons hides whether the bogies are riveted or welded and I must admit I never really looked closely at the ones I saw.

Is this external suspension bracket unique to the saloons? I assume you mean the add on piece that falls off the Bachmann bogies as soon as they are looked at!

Thanks

Keith

Regarding motive power for Inspection saloons, 2P 4-4-0 were used by Bescot until replaced by Ivatt 2 2-60,s. in diesel days Bescot used Cl 24/25, Cl 47, and Class 40,s, but the surprise was Bescot using some of it's Warships (they were allocated for 9 months from mid 1967) on Inspection saloon duties and D809 Champion was seen on a trip from Wolverhampton, Wellington and Donnington (Shropshire). On the Western Region Wolverhampton (Oxley) used a BR Standard 2 78008.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A word of warning folks.  I finally got around to opening mine and getting it out of the box yesterday morning to fit the detailing bits and Kadees.  Unfortunately, there was a conspicuous glue mark on one of the end windows, not visible while it was in the box.  So it's gone back to the shop.
So if you've bought one and not checked it yet, do!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phatbob (can't use quote function and can't be messing with computer settings to fix it when there is modelling to be done!). Checked mine that I picked up from Hereford Model Centre yesterday and its fine apart from some very minor glue encroachment into one window corner which doesn't worry me at all.

Interesting that Coachman has raised the ride height of his the same as the Portholes - mine sits at the same height as a Hornby Stanier straight from the box (which the Portholes didn't) and the same height as the portholes after following Coachmans tip to insert washers on the bogie pivots.

Still not keen on the new style bogies though  - there is an awful lot of play in the 'axleboxes', I think this has the potential to affect ride height as much as the bogie pivot does.