Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

Hi Mudmagnet,

The BRUTs platform trolleys look very nice!
I found the same problem it's always the small items that are harder to paint, the airbrush blows them away or you end up trying not to touch while brush painting. I found putting some double sided carpet tape on a block of wood works well to hold the work in place while painting or I use a jar lid with tape on top (marmite lids are even better because they're deeper so you can grip it) to hold the work firmly in place while you spray or paint it. the carpet tape has enough strength to hold your work but is quite low tack so you can easily pull it off when finish.
you can even hold them upside down and paint them without ever touching them ;)

As this picture demonstrates:

1488151_593057064076500_846995046_n.jpg

Just a suggestion/idea you might like to try.

The bridge you've built looks spot on, you've done a proper job on that one!
Cheers, Reece

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the `BG` you could always covert it to a courier van, IIRC they were converted from half brakes (there's an historical expression) and you pretty much have two BSK van ends stuck back to back. Fill in the window and door openings one end and rescribe some new door detail and away you go. It will be just the thing for those valuable parcel shipments.

Edit

I think there is one in the parcel train featured on the Redhill video a couple of pages back.

Edited by griffgriff

• RMweb Premium

Top job on the BRUTs indeed, are they all going to be used for their primary purpose (mail/parcels) or are you going to model one being used for its secondary purpose: home for the day to two spotty teenagers complete with Snorkel jackets, ADIDAS satchel and clutching their notebooks and a little instamatic camera? :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Top job on the BRUTs indeed, are they all going to be used for their primary purpose (mail/parcels) or are you going to model one being used for its secondary purpose: home for the day to two spotty teenagers complete with Snorkel jackets, ADIDAS satchel and clutching their notebooks and a little instamatic camera? :locomotive:

That's a great idea!

I had earmarked 5 for the loading platform (the 6th will end up on Orchard Road as mentiioned above).

I may have to buy another packet!

• Like 1

The Lima BG isn't 57' long, it's riding on an interpretation of the standard 63' 5'' under frame so it's too long.

Hi Mudmagnet

Here's an old solution for creating a 57ft BG. The original info came from The Model Railway Constructor Sept 1986. 

The article described how to build Mk 1 coaching stock which wasn't available commercially using the old Hornby Mk 1s. This was made easier as these coaches quickly  and easily broke down into roof, sides and chassis.

The BGs were built from 2x BSKs on a shortened chassis.

These two are very dated (late 80s) but could be improved with flush glazing and new bogies/wheels. I'll probably try this before buying anything new. 

post-13274-0-37585700-1386019151.jpg

post-13274-0-84471100-1386019194.jpg

....bet you can't see the join?...!   :mosking:

Those BRUTS look excellent. Definitely on my "to buy" list for the new layout. 

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudmagnet

Here's an old solution for creating a 57ft BG. The original info came from The Model Railway Constructor Sept 1986. 

The article described how to build Mk 1 coaching stock which wasn't available commercially using the old Hornby Mk 1s. This was made easier as these coaches quickly  and easily broke down into roof, sides and chassis.

These two are very dated (late 80s) but could be improved with flush glazing and new bogies/wheels. I'll probably try this before buying anything new. 

Alan

Those do look rather good, I tried that in my junior years (basically, cut down the side of the guard's door on both carriages, fill in one of the guard's doors & join) - sadly, in my case, you definitely could see the join.... :(

I'm still looking for a 'cheaper' Bachy BG!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudmagnet

Those BRUTS look excellent. Definitely on my "to buy" list for the new layout. 

Alan

hi Alan,

Thanks for posting the photos - they do look rather good!

I think that we may have that issue of the magazine at the railway club - so will have to do some searching ....

I'm pleased with the Brutes - recommended, although a little fiddly.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

The Brutes look good.  As an N Gauger I am often trying to spray very light components.  Like you I have found blu-tak to offer insufficient "grip", so nowadays I use small offcuts of card with double-sided sticky tape on them, and place the component on those.  The tape seems to have slightly more bite, but not so much that you destroy the component levering it off afterward!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

The Brutes look good.  As an N Gauger I am often trying to spray very light components.  Like you I have found blu-tak to offer insufficient "grip", so nowadays I use small offcuts of card with double-sided sticky tape on them, and place the component on those.  The tape seems to have slightly more bite, but not so much that you destroy the component levering it off afterward!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben,

Yes, double sided tape seems to be way to go with these small / light components.

I sprayed the ground signals, but do have a much larger piece of brass that the body is soldered to, so gives a much better 'key' for the blu-tak.

Managed to get a bit more work completed on the two half-relieft buildings that will fit behind the bridge and hoping to get a bit more done tonight.

Then, I'll make a start on the next building, which sits in front of the bridge and along the backscene.

Need to get these sorted before glueing down the bridge and then starting getting some scenary in place.

• RMweb Premium

BRUTEs look great, spent many an hour sat in one on the end of a platform in my youth :)

Likewise and I'm glad somebody else did, I thought I was just imagining it after all these years as after I made my previous post, I had a trawl through Flikr to find an appropriate piccy for some inspiration but can I find a photo , there must be one out there somewhere?

Ps sorry for a bit of thread hi-jacking :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, should have been more specific, I was referring to post #155 and I was after a photo of a BRUT being occupied by a couple of trainspotters resplendent in the fashion of the day (quite specific I know :) )

Thank you for the links anyway, loving the "final resting place", that would make a nice little cameo.

• RMweb Gold

brut brute link,,, any help?

Many thanks for the links KK

I found the Wiki link, but others are new.

Very useful info in those photos. A couple of ramps would be an interesting detail to add to the the layout, when I get round to making the loading bay!

• RMweb Gold

Likewise and I'm glad somebody else did, I thought I was just imagining it after all these years as after I made my previous post, I had a trawl through Flikr to find an appropriate piccy for some inspiration but can I find a photo , there must be one out there somewhere?

Ps sorry for a bit of thread hi-jacking :(

No problem about hi-jacking the thread - makes for interesting reading and gives me ideas!

Sorry, should have been more specific, I was referring to post #155 and I was after a photo of a BRUT being occupied by a couple of trainspotters resplendent in the fashion of the day (quite specific I know :) )

Thank you for the links anyway, loving the "final resting place", that would make a nice little cameo.

I agree - the cameo would be great to add.

Might need to get two more packets ......

• RMweb Gold

A little bit of an update.

As mentioned earlier, I made as start on the two buildings to be fitted behind the bridge.

The main body of the building being 5mm foamboard, cut to shape and glued with PVA.

Then, the windows and doors are cut out from the Wills flexible brick sheets - note, the two buildings are roughly mirror images of each other. A piece of 40thou plasticard is glued behind, having first cut out the door and window apertures. The brick coarses are filed around to bring the coarses into the window / door frame.

A suitable size opening, large enough for the 40thou section, is cut out of the foamboard. The brick sheets are then glued to the foamboard using impact adhesive.

Once this glue has dried, the coarses are filed round the external corners.

Painting of the brick then follows - a base coat is painted all over, then when dry, other tones are dry-brushed over the bricks to give a variation in colour.

The brick coarses are coloured using slightly thinned paint and lightly rubbed off the brick faces, leaving the paint mostly in the 'grooves' but also alters the brick tones.

The doors and windows are cut from plasticard and glued into the apertures. The doors still need to be painted and door furniture added - e.g. door knobs / letter boxes / house numbers.

Hope to make start on the roofs later today. Only placed roughly in position to check fit and for the photos.

I've also made a start on the next building - i.e. the one along the backscene in front of the bridge. This will eventually be a public house (The Walpole Pub, or something similar). More to follow when I get a little further.

post-7854-0-18673400-1386429199.jpg

post-7854-0-07335700-1386429200.jpg

post-7854-0-73017900-1386429200.jpg

post-7854-0-42662300-1386429201.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The buildings are looking great already. Seeing them in situ helps as well.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

It certainly helps being able to position and the photograph them. Also, helps to formulate how the scene will look as it develops both in my mind and in reality!

Building are looking really good Richard, I do like that stonework on the Bridge supports.

When can I have a play,Stafford 2015 maybe?

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andy.

I'll have to speak nicely to Colin at Stafford when I see him!!!

Hi Richard

I like those buildings, they look very well there.   I think the pub looks very tall, but may be the photo.  

Yes, the pub is tall, but the road is quite high above the track level.

There will be a set of stairs coming down to a basement and then a bank coming down to the track level.

I wanted the buildings to dominate and close in the scene at this end of the layout. Hopefully it will all come together!

Hoping to get a bit more done this afternoon.

The roof and guttering of the other two buildings will be finished today!