Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Any chance of a cheeky sneaky video glimpse of the first loco to run the full circuit?

Looking great matey!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Will see what I can do, will try and get some done later in between track laying.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks Porkie!

Track laying in the fiddleyard started today. Track laid at both ends for the pointwork from the bi directional slow line.

Here at the Dallam sidings end, the crossovers below are for allowing trains from the bi-di slow line into Dallam sidings. Once this was laid a test run was undertaken with a class 08 and 2 Farish VGAs to see how well they worked being propelled around a curve of approx 10.5inch radius. Additional wagons were added infront of the VGA to provide a load, this was to see if they would derail. They did not derail but the 08 slipped when trying to push 10 wagons around this curve. 4 were removed and all then ran ok. To be honest only 4-6 vehicles would be shunted. Here is a photo at the start before slipping.

post-6834-0-27319500-1469830939_thumb.jpg

Track at the South end of the layout, 86425 and 2 Mk2s for testing.

post-6834-0-22031700-1469831009_thumb.jpg

The 08 was given chance to stretch its legs on the bi-di slow lines with all test wagons coupled up. It took just over a minute to complete the scenic section. Hopefully post some video at some point.

post-6834-0-17617900-1469831198_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 15

Interesting to note about propelling around curves. The return curves on Burton on Trent will be rather tight (min 10.5 inches on the inside track) and I was hoping to be able to propel my hst set around those. I'm a little more doubtful now, hmm. I may end up having to form two sets, one for each direction or travel.

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol HST has excellent traction, you'll be fine. The bigger issue I find is that they're more prone to derailing when propelled, I think more weight in the dummy power car would likely help.

Layout continues to look stunning!

Hi Cav,

I think the 08 is a little light on its feet. Also the VGAs are probably causing a bit of rolling resistance due to their length, the flanges maybe rubbing on the rail due to the curve. I think your Farish HST should be fine as there should be less resistance on those curves with bogie stock.

Cheers

Simon

You are probably right. I will find out when the returns are built! If its an issue I will just have to treat myself to another set thats all :)

Edited by RBE

Hi Cav,

Just nipped into the garage and tried my 2+7 HST around that 10.5 curve and there was no issue with slipping from the power car. I even tried one of my Farish class 20's - the old type and that pushed the rake with no issues so think you will be fine.

Unlikely place to find a XC HST!

post-6834-0-39933400-1469870924_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Evening all. Well after a few late night sessions ,gone midnight on several nights, the wiring on the scenic section has been completed finally. The cab control switches and point control switches have been fitted into the control panel. This has allowed a bit of playing! I will post some video when I get 5mins!

Just the fiddleyard to complete and wire, this should not take too long to do - famous last words.

Here is some action from tonights testing.

Allertons 08703 trundles along with the trip to Arpley as 82125 speeds south with a Glasgow to Euston service not stopping at WBQ.

post-6834-0-85710400-1470177142_thumb.jpg

08703 continues on slowly down the bi-directional slow line, no signs of the push pull set now!

post-6834-0-91124800-1470177348_thumb.jpg

However RES 86425 is soon on the scene accelerating away from its booked stop at WBQ.

post-6834-0-50552500-1470177439_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 17

Absolutely superb stuff Simon. You've got the atmosphere of the WCML absolutely spot on!

Looking forward to the videos!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, I have took some video footage on my mobile, its just getting time to edit and upload. I had the Farish 87 blasting up and down the layout with its 9 Mk3 (5TSO, 1RFM, 3FO) & DVT set last night. Did not get any problems with the 87 even though I have modified the bogie spacing and fitted shorter drive shafts. A few times though, the Dapol Mk3's did uncouple at different areas on the layout with the 87 hauling. It may just be the couplings sticking up hopefully however I think I will probably fit the shorter couplings Dapol supply to close the gap.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Jeremy, I have took some video footage on my mobile, its just getting time to edit and upload. I had the Farish 87 blasting up and down the layout with its 9 Mk3 (5TSO, 1RFM, 3FO) & DVT set last night. Did not get any problems with the 87 even though I have modified the bogie spacing and fitted shorter drive shafts. A few times though, the Dapol Mk3's did uncouple at different areas on the layout with the 87 hauling. It may just be the couplings sticking up hopefully however I think I will probably fit the shorter couplings Dapol supply to close the gap.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I haven't run my 87's yet as I need to get the wheels turned down, however I will be modifying the bogies as your 87's look brilliant and much more realistic. I'll use your method detailed in this thread as guidance to make the modification. Did you 3D print the shorter drive shafts? I can't remember.

I've had problems with Dapol couplings uncoupling and I may end up using DG couplings as they tend to be more reliable, especially as I have so many turnouts for them to uncouple over!! Its ok if the MK2/MK3 set is being pushed but when it's being pulled, it's a different story altogether.The Farish ones tend to be more reliable though.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

I've had problems with Dapol couplings uncoupling and I may end up using DG couplings as they tend to be more reliable

<snipped>

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

That surprises me. We use the Dapol couplers for our steel trains on Horseley Fields and we find them almost 100% reliable. Admittedly, we have not used them on complete trains; for cost reasons we use the Dapol Easi-shunts on the ends of cuts of wagons.

Have you tried DGs? We did experiment with them about 10 years ago for our previous club layout (Ketton) but we found that they required a significant amount of fettling and would easily slip out of alignment and require readjustment. At the time we were using many non-NEM coupler older models too, and these were harder to fit couplers to.

(Apologies for briefly hijacking the thread)

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

I have had one or two Easi Shunt couplers uncouple but generally they are good. I think my few are where I have added canopy lgue to the springs to stop them popping out and I have got a tocu h too much glue on them so they dont close immediately when engaging with the next wagon.

One area that I have had major problems is that the couplers (mainly rapido types) bounce or out of level in the NEM pocket. Again this can be fixed by using canopy glue to hold the coupler level in the NEM pocket.

Once they have been set up and tweaked the Easi Shunts are very reliable IMHO. I havent used the DG couplers but I gather that they can easily be knocked out of alignment. I was going ot experiment with them until I found out about the Dapol Easi Shunts.

That's looking good. Remind us all when it gets its first outing.

Hi Al,

Thanks! Its first outing will be at the Wigan Model Railway Exhibition on the 1st/2nd October, see here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111124-wigan-exhibition-1st-2nd-october-2016/

The next outing planned upto now is Stafford in February 2018. Once Dallam returns from its first outing, work will continue on stock, detailing and any operational issues which have been highlighted over the course of the weekend.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Jeremy,

That surprises me. We use the Dapol couplers for our steel trains on Horseley Fields and we find them almost 100% reliable. Admittedly, we have not used them on complete trains; for cost reasons we use the Dapol Easi-shunts on the ends of cuts of wagons.

Have you tried DGs? We did experiment with them about 10 years ago for our previous club layout (Ketton) but we found that they required a significant amount of fettling and would easily slip out of alignment and require readjustment. At the time we were using many non-NEM coupler older models too, and these were harder to fit couplers to.

(Apologies for briefly hijacking the thread)

Cheers

Ben A.

I'll be using DGs on BoT and MD for the main reason that rapidos and Dapol easi-shunts are as ugly as hell. For me DG's offer a balance of decent looks and shunting capability. Not perfect but I can't accept looking at the rapidos or dapols when running my stock.

Well after a hectic few days getting the track on the scenic side all sorted, I thought it may be a good idea to clear up all the rubbish and material which had accumulated on the fiddleyard area.

With this done, lengths of flexible track were placed down to get an idea of how many roads can be fitted in. Track in the fiddle yard is Peco code 80, the points will be controlled with point motors to make operation easier.

post-6834-0-85422000-1470260505_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-01610400-1470260531_thumb.jpg

To give an idea of length, the train is 9 mk3's, DVT & 87.

post-6834-0-10936400-1470260556_thumb.jpg

It looks like 9 roads should fit, the longest will be for the up and down fast to allow a full length Freightliner or Intermodal rake in. Several kick back sidings will be laid at each end fed from the bi-directional slow lines, these will be around 4-5ft and be able to store some of the mail trains and trip workings. Several loops will have crossovers around half way to allow working around etc.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Great fiddle yard space, plenty room for prototypical length trains which to me shows off N gauge to its fullest.

Thanks, yes should be able to fit quite a few full length trains in there,however, long term may see an additional fiddleyard added around the rear of the lighting poles to allow further trains.

Finally managed to bag a Virgin class 86 from ebay for a decent price, £60 inc p&p. This will have the pantograph replaced, renumbered and front end detailed as 86229 was a West Coast trains loco not a XC one.

post-6834-0-43424600-1471528313_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it will be possible to renumber it to one which still had its original BR Intercity name in Virgin livery.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Managed to progress the fiddleyard today. Pointwork installed at the southend of the yard. Managed to fit 10 roads in. So far about half of yard complete. The 2 middle roads in the picture below can be accessed by the up and down fast.

post-6834-0-95840400-1471799230_thumb.jpg

Here a pushpull is joining the down fast.

post-6834-0-73280200-1471799299_thumb.jpg

As more stock is purchased/built, revisions to the fiddleyard will be made.

Now to wire this lot up!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

More scenic work undertaken tonight on the embankment between Bewsey Road and the CLC overbridge and also fiddleyard wiring. Chris called round, so I got stuck into the fiddleyard wiring, he focused on the scenics.

Virgin 86 heads north as a RES 86 hauled parcels heads south past the Dallam trip working.

post-6834-0-51400800-1472074529_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 18