Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Hi,

Thanks for the comments about the vans guys! Was not sure how they would turn out but so far I am pleased with them. Had a look at a Farish HAA and think it might be easier to strip it into its seperate parts for weathering. May have a go over the weekend and see how it turns out.

Back to the layout and finally picked some more wood glue up. Backscenes and facias now glued and screwed in place on boards 3&4. Set boards 1 to 4 up and fitted the drapes to the front to see how it would look when set up.

post-6834-0-39690400-1430565478_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the wide shot of the layout - really useful to get an "overall" view like that.

Re weathering:  The vans have come out really well.  Have you tried using Mig (or similar) weathering powders too?  I use small make up brushes (a benefit of teenage daughters!) to apply very small quantities of oily black or brown deposits, even green to suggest algae growth on ends and roof.  I find that if used sparingly they can really bring a weathered model to life. 

Powders are also great for weathering the faces of wheels - I usually paint on track dirt, leave it to dry for about 20 mins, then go back and dust on some brown/rust coloured weathering powder.  Really helps - especially for clasp-braked wagons or coaches where much of the wheel face is visible.

They are also exceptionally useful for scenic weathering.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Yes got some Carr's weathering powders which I have used on some 4mm stock and some groundwork like you say. Will probably use some on the VGA van underframes, I think quite a bit will be used on the HAA's!

Regards the layout, I still need to set all 6 boards up to get a proper feel. At the minute the most that can be put up in the garage is either boards 1 to 5 or boards 2 to 6. Just not had a suitable occasion over the past few weeks to set up in the house. I have also got a spare board which will be developed at a later stage which is to allow me to operate Dallam at home but at a reduced length, set the layout up along the garage wall with 2 boards stored underneath. In the picture above, the push pull is about to pass under Bewsey Road, on the 'home' board, this will be the scenic break with the track going straight into the fiddle yard.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I've been following your thread since you started but today I decided that I would have a re-read from the beginning as its so interesting.  Your work is superb and the sense of space that you have created on Dallam is excellent.

I really like your detailing work to the Farish 87, in particular making the alterations to the bogie placement.  It would seem from your pics that you have the new placement absolutely spot on when compared to pics of the real loco.  Having gone to the efforts of all your other details on the loco I wondered if you had contemplated adding foot steps to the bogie sides?

Really enjoying your thread and looking forward to your next installment.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

Glad you like the thread. With regards to the 87, will probably look at fitting some steps on the 87 as the bogies look a bit bare without them. When I get some 90's these will need them too along with all the detail work.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Managed to get back into the garage again tonight and finally finish the backscenes and facias for boards 5 & 6, so thats them all done and fitted.

post-6834-0-26828700-1431032229_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-94473700-1431032269_thumb.jpg

Think the next main task to focus on now is to make the lids which will enable each board to be stored or transported safely.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Hi,

Managed to set all 6 boards up to get an overall feel of how the layout will progress now all the backscenes are in place. To do this resulted in the layout being set up diagonally across the garage which once set up prevents access through the side door. This door is used quite a bit to get to the tumble drier and second freezer so the layout cannot be left up blocking this door - hence the decision to have a 'home board' which knocks 4ft of the length and allows it to be set up along the wall.

Another thing which is now apparent is the weight of the baseboards with all the extra bits being slowly added. The heaviest being board 6 which has dimensions of 3.5ft x 3ft, this is manageable by myself however I am glad I did not go any bigger.

Here is the whole layout set up.

post-6834-0-59997800-1431084954_thumb.jpg

The big gap between baseboards in the foreground is because they are not connected together fully.

Not sure if I mentioned but I going to replace the warehouse as since laying track and moving things around, the length needs to increase really, so another job on the 'to do' list.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Superb mate! I love the sense of space and your full length trains will look impressive.

Thanks Jeremy, I keep thinking about the idea of late 80's  very early 90's with steel coil trains being hauled by 86/4 & 87's in multiple on their way to/from Warrington Arpley being passed by mixed liveried rakes of mk2/3's!

Made a start this morning on painting the backscenes and facias. Backscenes are being painted Eggshell white and the facias initially painted using Grey Primer. While the paint is drying, in between coats, I have been looking at the best way to construct another building for Dallam.

This is the one:

post-6834-0-37728400-1431171121_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-74909600-1431171166_thumb.jpg

Half of it is actually the old Dallam steam shed which has been extended and converted for industrial use. The steam shed part is the lower section (above the rear car on the 175). The roof line is higher on the extension. Should not be too difficult to do - I hope!

It will go on the layout roughly were my tools are at the front.

post-6834-0-87413400-1431171668_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

I keep thinking about the idea of late 80's  very early 90's with steel coil trains being hauled by 86/4 & 87's in multiple on their way to/from Warrington Arpley being passed by mixed liveried rakes of mk2/3's!

Cheers

Simon

Late 80's will allow you to run mixed liveried MK3 rakes, and also like you say, 86/87 combo's on the steel workings. Maybe have some stock for both eras!

I have to agree 100%. Get rid of those silly virgin trains liveries and do some proper trains from the late 80s!!

This is starting to shape up lovely Simon. Following with great interest!

Thanks Jeremy, I keep thinking about the idea of late 80's  very early 90's with steel coil trains being hauled by 86/4 & 87's in multiple on their way to/from Warrington Arpley being passed by mixed liveried rakes of mk2/3's!

Made a start this morning on painting the backscenes and facias. Backscenes are being painted Eggshell white and the facias initially painted using Grey Primer. While the paint is drying, in between coats, I have been looking at the best way to construct another building for Dallam.

This is the one:

attachicon.gifIMG_0602.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0605.jpg

Half of it is actually the old Dallam steam shed which has been extended and converted for industrial use. The steam shed part is the lower section (above the rear car on the 175). The roof line is higher on the extension. Should not be too difficult to do - I hope!

It will go on the layout roughly were my tools are at the front.

attachicon.gif2015-05-07 21.44.57.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Looks very different since the embankment that carrier the CLC avoiding line and associated bridge were removed.

You beat me to building the shed first, thats a project for later this year I think (but in OO).

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks for all the comments guys! Although 80's would be very nice, going to stick with 2001. Whilst looking on Youtube for clips around Warrington, I found this clip from Germany which certainly opens your eyes and mouth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRamH7LqPw

Don't think you would last long in the job if you did that over here!

Takes the meaning 'going in between' to a whole new level.
Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Don't go near the 80's - too much blue...........

Wigan 2016 debut?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Hopefully 2016, I had said it would be ready for this October but I lost too much time during the Winter.

Cheers

Simon

Well the paint has finally dried so attention can now start on bits of scenery. As mentioned yesterday, going to look at the old Dallam shed building and also the CLC overbridge which forms the scenic break at the end of the layout.

2 Intercity Executive HST trailers somehow managed to make an appearence.

post-6834-0-46884800-1431266273_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

Nice to see this coming along, the blue building used to be locker air maze and my dad worked there in the 70,s and 80's until redundancy. I was sat in the car in the car park while he nipped into work one Saturday morning and saw the APT glide past!

Happy days

Mark

Nice to see this coming along, the blue building used to be locker air maze and my dad worked there in the 70,s and 80's until redundancy. I was sat in the car in the car park while he nipped into work one Saturday morning and saw the APT glide past!

Happy days

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Yes its a shame the APT project got shelved, I never got to see it myself.

Had a look at how to do the CLC overbridge tonight. I have made the trackbed up using a scrap piece of hardboard with 2 pieces of track fixed down and cut to shape. The bridge does not cross at right angles hence the way the track has been cut.

Quite a bit to do looking at the photos I have come across.

Progress so far.

post-6834-0-29117300-1431368454_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

Thanks for the comments guys. Managed to pick up a few items today which had been reduced at Hattons, 3 FNA Nuclear flasks and a number of Super BG's. I resisted picking up another Virgin liveried 87!

This evening saw the bridge abutments being fabricated using a mixture of 20 &40 thou plasticard. Once this stage is finished, Scalescenes brick paper will be applied.

post-6834-0-54810300-1431467434_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the link, will come in useful!

Going to start back on the layout next week. Been relaxing by the pool in Fuerteventura, cold beer, Enegy 52 Cafe del Mar on my MP3 and nice clear blue sky. Unfortunately now back home and its cold and grey!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity