The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Film and tv railway errors

andyram

One of my friends came out of Gosford Park really upset because the plumbing in the servants' quarters was totally wrong for the period.

Also non-railway related, one particularly bad offender for anachronisms is the recent Father Brown series. Quite apart from having been so extensively adapted that I doubt if G K Chesterton would recognise it, the 1950s Cotswolds seem to have been very advanced in the adoption of uPVC double glazing, and modern 13A electrical sockets and matching switches. On the plus side I don't recall any really glaring problems with the railway shots (although Mk1s are probably a bit modern for west-country branch services) and I did like the touch of the contents of Father Brown's desk drawers including a period copy of Model Railway News.

• RMweb Premium

Things do occaisionally get corrected.  For the last 2 years the BBC Look North Travel news from leeds has  had a pictures of a South Eastern Javelin for the rail element.  I complained some time ago saying that they didn't run anywhere near Yorkshire.   I was told that the pictures were centrally provided from London.  In the past few weeks the train picture has at last changed to a Trans Pennine Class 185, much more appropriate to Yorkshire.  Well done BBC.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Great Train Robbery (BBC 2013) almost the last scene, the interior of a cafe in Torquay in 1968 but wait, what is that outside clearly visible through the window, why yes it is a Wright bodied Volvo double decker bus in the new 2012 vintage First Group corporate livery.

And that was the least of a long list of hilarious cock ups....

Ice cold In Alex as well as being my favourite war film contains a neat bog at the end as Anthony Quayle is driven away from the bar we see a back shot of a series 2 Land Rover.

I seem to remember reading, long ago, that there is also a shot of an Austin K2 truck in which a driven front axle is clearly visible, when the K2 never came in 4WD, even for the army. Not having seen the film myself that's just hearsay though.

• RMweb Premium

Ice cold In Alex as well as being my favourite war film contains a neat bog at the end as Anthony Quayle is driven away from the bar we see a back shot of a series 2 Land Rover.

And a Morris Minor

I seem to remember reading, long ago, that there is also a shot of an Austin K2 truck in which a driven front axle is clearly visible, when the K2 never came in 4WD, even for the army. Not having seen the film myself that's just hearsay though.

It was modified for the film using the front axle from a CMP Chevrolet.

I've mentioned it before, but in the post apocalyptic movie Doomsday a fully functional steam locomotive turns up, in the middle of a Scotland which has been quarantined for nearly 30 years, without any apparent supporting infrastructure. It and it's associated rolling stock appear to be South African.

By a very curious coincidence the film was shot in South Africa...

Until I watched a programme on Yesterday, I hadn't realized that the Southern Railway was involved with the transporting of Jews to concentration camps. 

Edited by JZ

I've mentioned it before, but in the post apocalyptic movie Doomsday a fully functional steam locomotive turns up, in the middle of a Scotland which has been quarantined for nearly 30 years, without any apparent supporting infrastructure. It and it's associated rolling stock appear to be South African.

Must have been one of those from the Strategic Reserve...

steve

Must have been one of those from the Strategic Reserve...

steve

Shhh!

lonwar3.gif

Edit to add:

When I was at University I shared a house with a tremendously decorative blonde who was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, nor the quickest greyhound out of the trap.  She once came to a dinner with my Unit, & by sheer coincidence not only did by brother-in-law (an Officer in the RN) come but so did a mate in the RAF.  By even better coincidence we had that poster on the wall under one of the chairs, so we recreated the pose.

Reader, ten years later I nearly married her.  A lucky escape as someone who could watch a sizeable part of The Dambusters then ask, "is this about the War, then?" would probably not have been a stimulating life partner however good looking she was...

Edited by C&WR

Reader, ten years later I nearly married her.  A lucky escape as someone who could watch a sizeable part of The Dambusters then ask, "is this about the War, then?" would probably not have been a stimulating life partner however good looking she was...

For most "War" films like The Guns of Navarone, Von Ryan's Express, or Where Eagles Dare. she wouldn't have been far wrong: they're essentially "caper" movies set against a mythical version of the war, but the Dambusters was one of the real exceptions to that along with The Cruel Sea and a few others.

I have to say that my favourite anachronism (apart from the 141Rs in The Train but they're not glaring) in a war set in WW2  is the scene in The Battle of Britain where Ian McShane and Robert Shaw are leaving the latter's house and there in full view alongside the surprisingly modern front door is an even more modern 1970s plastic bell push. I'm not sure if a house like that in rural England in 1940 would even have had an electric door bell and quite possibly not even electricity. 

Edited by Pacific231G