Prototype for everything corner.

3 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Here's the original caption;

"With no less than four diesel brake tenders coupled behind the loco, ED No. 73115 pushes back the Chessington coal empties into Wimbledon West Yard on 25 July 1974. When you think, propelling moves such as this, across the down main, down slow, up and down sutton to reach the yard were quite common those days, today, well, it just would never happen!"

Thanks. The photo didn’t take me anywhere when I clicked it so I never saw a caption 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

The cut-out double arrow doesn't sit too well on Inter City stripes !

Or perhaps the BR arrows are fine and Inter City livery doesn’t really belong on a Class 37…

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 21:12, brushman47544 said:

Or perhaps the BR arrows are fine and Inter City livery doesn’t really belong on a Class 37…

Going to be pedantic but that’s actually ‘mainline’ livery, basically Intercity but without the branding. 

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Have we seen this before?

The Bicester Military Railway.

But it can't be real - all the locos are clean, not weathered like normal.

That's the British Army. 

If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Keeping bored soldiers busy in peacetime is a big job. Painting coal white was a good one, along with endless peeling of potatoes when potatoes and peel all ended up in the mash. Rail tracks leading into british camps in Germany would be lifted and relaid far more frequently than required.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Keeping bored soldiers busy in peacetime is a big job. Painting coal white was a good one, along with endless peeling of potatoes when potatoes and peel all ended up in the mash. Rail tracks leading into british camps in Germany would be lifted and relaid far more frequently than required.

It extended beyond the Atmy.  The former Ministry of Supply depot at Steventon/Lockinge (west of Didcot) was entirely civilian staffed in its final days and it housed a large number of 'Green Goddess' fire engines as part of a national reserve.  All of them were painted regularly and I understand from someone who worked there that the painting was more or less continuous as they started again on the first one once they'd finished the last one.  Probably an exaggeration but quite a number of the staff had nothing else to do for most of the time so they painted stuff to keep busy. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

The Bicester railway was an interesting place to wander about and see some very interesting trains going about their business ,you did wonder sometimes what was under the tarpaulins!  Alongside the A41 going into Bicester was a group of sidings where wagons were loaded and sent off to other depots  the route was towards Oxford and the rest of the UK. As it contracted various buildings were reused by new companies at one point a preserved railway was started but this had to close .The area near the prison was used for vehicle auctions for a while  also one building was used to rebuild a loco  and it was sent to a preserved railway. The network was vast and had a very good signalling system  with a good few boxes one was at a junction behind  a village on the way to Bicester and another line left here to loop round around the whole site.  A building opposite the airfield that used store uniforms is now an old car restoration centre .After the war one of the hangars was used to store captured German aircraft a 109 ,a Dornier bomber and a Focke Wolf 190 were reputed to be there plus a few others ,they all went to museums . Bicester was an interesting place to visit alas now new houses are being built on many sites once occupied by the military .Shame that the preserved railway did not make it but unfortunately it was doomed from the start with what was being proposed for the area ensured that housing was the priority so goodbye railway.The army is still there in an interesting camp where I used to deliver fish to the officer's mess accompanied by a soldier to see I did not do anything I shouldnt  !!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

The network was vast and had a very good signalling system  with a good few boxes one was at a junction behind  a village on the way to Bicester and another line left here to loop round around the whole site. 

OK, I've taken the hint and posted a couple of pics on the Signal Boxes thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, billbedford said:

It looks like a WW2 ambulance train. B12s were the preferred locos as they had just about the best route availability for their power. 

I seem to remember a photo of one on the metropolitan widened lines, on a hospital train from the kent ports - was this possible?

• RMweb Gold

B12s had good RA and, being ex-GER, also the air brakes needed for working the trains, which were fitted with them so as to work with locos on mainland europe.  Wounded men could be put on the trains close to the front, and cared for in the same bed all the way to whatever hospital they were to be sent to having come over on a train ferry.  There was no traction knowledge on those days, steam engines were similar enough to each other to permit any crew climbing on and being expected to get on with it!

On one occasion in early 1945, a B12 turned up with a hospital train of wounded Americans at Coryton, the stub-end of the Cardiff Railway’s branch in the northern suburbs of Cardiff, tender first having worked the train from Harwich and run around at Cardiff General P7.   Whitchurch Hospital is about a quarter mile from the station, and hospital staff, including registrars, turned out to push the beds, with the patients in them, the rest of the way, with most of the village turning out to lend a hand.  The event is a local legend, and a driver from my time at Canton who was a passed fireman at the time fired it!

5 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

I seem to remember a photo of one on the metropolitan widened lines, on a hospital train from the kent ports - was this possible?

Coming up-country from the Kent ports, i’d say it was probable!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Should you worry if all your lamp posts aren't upright when you take your photo? Tut tut!

DiggleBLM0265-Cropped.JPG.71ee9c25e9ab4ac3c24a5781263977b0.JPG

Diggle Station LNWR. (Small extract from image BLM0265 available in the London & North Western Railway Society's online DMS Archive.)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 03/06/2023 at 19:10, Metr0Land said:

Despite the uniform load of PCAs, this looks like the evening Exeter Riverside to Westbury Speedlink service. Surprisingly, it quite often had a pair of 50s at the front with 50149 putting in a number of appearances.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2