Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure what the train that appears at 3m30 in this video  

is but it’s come off the Greenford branch at West Ealing and looks like it’s formed of two GUVs, 6 Mk2 BFKs and a Mk2 BSK. ECS on its way to Old Oak Common perhaps, but from where?

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

And 100% prototypical (apart from being tinplate although it would have to be GWr engines running over it to get it spot on. (yes, the GWR dd really havea  section which was electrified using a centre 3rd rail although all GWR trains running over it were steam hauled).

Didn't the GWR have a 50% interest in the first electric stock on the H&C?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

is but it’s come off the Greenford branch at West Ealing and looks like it’s formed of two GUVs, 6 Mk2 BFKs and a Mk2 BSK. ECS on its way to Old Oak Common perhaps, but from where?

It looks like the same Class 31 that worked up light earlier in the video. I would guess that the stock has come from Old Oak and is returning there, having been turned for some reason via the Greenford loop.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Can't think why a selection like that would need turning, so, is it a stock transfer from Old Oak to somewhere north or east?

Leaves OC heading west, turns off towards the Birmingham direct route, comes off there at Greenford to head back towards OC, but then heads up to the NLL after Acton Mainline, Acton Wells towards Willesden, then on towards Stonebridge Park/Wembley or Wolverton, or around the NLL towards an ER destination. Runs that way purely to avoid an extra run around at Acton.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The first class 31, 31180, runs east light engine at the start of the video and returns west at the end hauling three fuel tanks. 31187 is hauling the mixed

bag of coaches. Could it be that train is a loaded test run after 31187 has undergone maintenance at Old Oak Common. The coaches may just be some

redundant stock put together to form a test train, sectorisation would have meant very few spare rakes of coaches would be available for such a train at 

short notice. The paintwork on both 31s looks new, but 31187 appears to have it`s buffer beam painted red oxide, as if recently repaired. 

The fuel tanks hauled by 31180 could be heading to Reading Depot.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

The coaches may just be some

redundant stock put together to form a test train, sectorisation would have meant very few spare rakes of coaches would be available for such a train at 

short notice.

I thought the BFKs might be spares or redundant from Waterloo - Exeter sets. IIRC, those rakes had two BFKs back to back in the middle but were they later reduced to one? Or perhaps they are going for a repaint in NSE livery?

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

re the train at 3m,32 I will put my money on it having started from OOC and it will be heading up the bank at Acton.  That was a standard move at one time for stock going to Wolverton.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

re the train at 3m,32 I will put my money on it having started from OOC and it will be heading up the bank at Acton.  That was a standard move at one time for stock going to Wolverton.

Thanks Mike. It was the strange rake of coaches that prompted me to pop it in this thread. 

• Like 1

We often used to go round the houses with a rake of stock on test runs when 31s, 47s or 50s came out of the Factory at Old Oak after some fettling, back then there was always a spare set of men to be able to do it when needed. Likewise taking stock over to Willesden and Wembley, for instance the Penzance sleeper stock, which was a daily turn for us at 06.00, taking it via Greenford, West Ealing, Acton Wells, Acton Canal Wharf etc, then back to Old Oak light engine.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2023 at 23:35, nigb55009 said:

The first class 31, 31180, runs east light engine at the start of the video and returns west at the end hauling three fuel tanks. 31187 is hauling the mixed

bag of coaches. Could it be that train is a loaded test run after 31187 has undergone maintenance at Old Oak Common. The coaches may just be some

short notice. The paintwork on both 31s looks new, but 31187 appears to have it`s buffer beam painted red oxide, as if recently repaired. 

The fuel tanks hauled by 31180 could be heading to Reading Depot.

Back then a loaded test run was usually 09.10 Padd - Oxford, used for pre or post major exam, or for persistently problematic locos. This was always an additional loco piloting the train loco, which if passed fit, could do the return solo.

Getting a path for a test run during the day was nigh on impossible. You need a clear run on the main between HSTs, the relief will tell you nothing mixing with the stoppers etc. One time I did a trial run on a weekday late shift, we caused mayhem on the down main when the 47 threw a main generator earth fault causing us to stop at a green alongside Southall DMU depot and request a path back to OC in limp along mode. Another occasion it was a 31that let us down, with the main generator flashing over as the driver opened up as we crossed onto the down main. Both these were light loco only, loaded test runs were rarer as they take a bit more arranging.

Taking an HST for a run was easier, and they usually were Swindon and back. Through Didcot at 132mph coasting from the overspeed cut-out is quite memorable, blink and you miss it....

Most test runs were during the night shift, light loco to Slough and back. Load simulated by using a bit of straight air brake. I did manage 3 in one night, and I think it was 6 for the week, but there was too many locos sitting around OC awaiting a run at the time.....

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Something a bit different to park in a siding awaiting attention

Mangled Motorail

There is a pic somewhere from the other end, the car at the front was a nicely restored MGB roadster which was badly damaged but I believe was repaired 

Edited by 37114
Typo
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Mangled Motorail

Now that's what I call too much weathering...............😁

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Matt37268 said:

Any idea what the story is? 

Click the pic for the Flickr page.

"Three mangled cars written off when this Motorail GUV , 96180, derailed and hit a bridge parapet between Coventry and Rugby at Brandon on 29-6-91."

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Headlights  and tail light both lit in this NIR picture.

20230704_225319.jpg.4a15bbca5d3e47d2eaf66ca6c8f7cd5b.jpg

That suggests they don't know whether they're coming or going.

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2023 at 21:20, Metr0Land said:

Mangled Motorail

Not as expensive as this one...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1