DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

Dave already did the 86 and Mk3's when he was at Dapol,as well as probably a lot of work on the Pacer too. In N gauge anyway.

In N gauge the 81-85/87/89/90 and 92 are frequently requested but the manufacturers say electrics don't sell well.

In OO most AC electrics have been done at some stage and the Pacer is available from Realtrack and Hornby

Personally, I'm wondering who will duplicate the 37 and 47 in N....

Cheers

Mark

Too late- I've filled my wishes with NER types!

Les

Agreed, let's have a break from the GWR and SR for a year, something NER,GNR please. PSB from MREMAG.

Well, what a year it has been for new announcements! Just from The Top 50 of the 2014 Poll (00), we will be getting (or have received):

SR Air-smoothed Merchant Navy

GWR Steam Railmotor

LSWR/SR S15

LSWR 0415 Adams Radial

GWR Churchward 47xx

Industrial 0-4-0ST

Class 117

GWR Collett 14xx/58xx

SR Breakdown Crane

GWR Collett Gangwayed Coaches

BR Salmon Rail Wagon

And that’s not to forget the GWR 94xx (which was just three votes outside).

Plus the 71 and Night Owl, including duplication of two of these. I think these regions are well served.

I vote for any of SECR H, D, E, (ex-SER) Q, Q1, (ex-SER) R, O or O1 - provided that they are done in SECR livery, preferably full Wainwright lining and brasswork. Those are the classes I personally could run, but there are also the ex-LCDR classes.

From the Bachmann experience with the C class, anything in full livery will sell quite well and the H at least can be reissued in simplified Wainwright livery, Maunsell wartime livery, two SR liveries and BR black.

• Like 1

Well, I voted for NER, GER, GNR, SE&CR, LB&SCR types, to name a few; I'd love an E4(T26), J6, J21, C2X, H class etc, etc, and I have particular sympathy for the NER as probably the most obviously under-represented of the major pre-grouping companies. 

It's just that I don't see the need to snub God's Wonderful in the process, so I also voted for a 517, Dean Goods, Duke, Bulldog and Mogul because wanting something does not, in my book, equate to not wanting someone else to have the thing they want!  

Well, I voted for NER, GER, GNR, SE&CR, LB&SCR types, to name a few; I'd love an E4(T26), J6, J21, C2X, H class etc, etc, and I have particular sympathy for the NER as probably the most obviously under-represented of the major pre-grouping companies. 

It's just that I don't see the need to snub God's Wonderful in the process, so I also voted for a 517, Dean Goods, Duke, Bulldog and Mogul because wanting something does not, in my book, equate to not wanting someone else to have the thing they want!  

Personally I only vote for something I would actually purchase. I have seen, too often, people pushing kit manufacturers to produce a 'must have' then are no-where to be seen when it comes out. I do not intend to have the same attitude to the rtr boys and girls.

I have an interest in the 517 but with 155 engines  built in 14 lots over 14 years to two different wheelbases, The suggestion of a '517' needs to be more specific. If it just the almost a 48xx, I would not purchase, but if it has the inside bearing rear axle, open cab etc, everything to make NOT look like a 48XX, then I am in.

Same goes for the Bulldogs. I am quite sure Bachmann will produce a straight framed Bulldog based on the Earl, having stripped one down, it is quite obvious it has been well though out so that a new boiler/cab assembly can be fitted. (a friend has already done this with a K's boiler unit and it works well). If it this version, I might purchase just one out of loyalty/support , but I do not really need another with several K's ones in my existing fleet. If it was a deep frame 'Bird' or a curve framed, than again, I am in, infact anything that stops it looking like a retro Earl.

I would purchase several upgraded moguls. My Mainline ones have long gone for recycling. You can never have too many moguls. With too many kits and too few years left, anything new engines that reduce the build requirement for my Master Plan is welcome.

Mike Wiltshire

I have an interest in the 517 but with 155 engines  built in 14 lots over 14 years to two different wheelbases, The suggestion of a '517' needs to be more specific. If it just the almost a 48xx, I would not purchase, but if it has the inside bearing rear axle, open cab etc, everything to make NOT look like a 48XX, then I am in.

I'd only buy one if it was as running in around 1905, or could be fairly easily converted, and if it's straightforward to convert to EM. I might also buy one in as built condition, if I could convert it to P4 and I have the urge to mix the gauge on my broad gauge layout.

So that's probably me out then!

Therein lies the dilemma, but, forgive me, both esteemed forum colleagues, but declining to support a class in general because you do not know whether a specific variant of it that you have in mind may emerge seems a trifle contrary to me.  if we all followed that stance, nothing would ever get requested or manufactured!

I voted for lots of things.  Would I buy them all? Potentially and hopefully, 'yes', funds permitting, not least because my tastes extend to both Grouping and Pre-Grouping and those Pre-Grouping tastes are pretty wide!  Some may not be made in livery or variants that can be used or readily adapted to my use.  But, I took the view that the most positive and productive thing to do was to vote for what I'd like and hope for the best.

I have been in correspondence with those nice people who inherited the Ks/Nucast range and they tell me that they are considering what can be re-introduced.  I mentioned in particular a supply of Bulldog bodies for the Bachmann Earls and they were kind enough to say that would be considered.  As I am looking for mid-'30s Bulldogs, the Bachmann model's larger tender works for me, so it seems like a feasible conversion.  Would that lead me to say 'no' if Bachmann were to offer its own Bulldog body? Of course not. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is a logic to this, so bear with me.  Despite Hornby having produced a J94/Austerity, DJM produces one.  Presumably this is because the former was felt to be lacking (it's out of period for me, so I have investigated neither the prototype nor the models).

So, why not revisit the Brighton Terrier?  It turns out that the Dapol/Hornby 4mm model is dreadful; the chassis is pretty poor and the body is a complete car-crash, the model resembling neither an A1 nor an A1X.

One of each by DJM, an A1 and an A1X, plus an IOW variant, would go down a storm, IMHO.

Think of how well received Dapol's O gauge version has been.  Think of how many people you would make happy?  Light railway and industrial people who want company for the Hudswell Clarke; Brighton fans (BR, Grouping, and Pre-Grouping eras) who would have something to go with their E4s, I3s, forthcoming Atlantics, and wish-list C2Xs;  IOW fans who have that O2.  

And, who doesn't love a cheeky little Terrier?

Or a Great Western 517 Class 0-4-2T, or an old six-coupled Manning Wardle saddle tank? 

Vote for the old, interesting and small!  They got everywhere and have character in spades. 

There is a logic to this, so bear with me.  Despite Hornby having produced a J94/Austerity, DJM produces one.  Presumably this is because the former was felt to be lacking (it's out of period for me, so I have investigated neither the prototype nor the models).

So, why not revisit the Brighton Terrier?  It turns out that the Dapol/Hornby 4mm model is dreadful; the chassis is pretty poor and the body is a complete car-crash, the model resembling neither an A1 nor an A1X.

One of each by DJM, an A1 and an A1X, plus an IOW variant, would go down a storm, IMHO.

Think of how well received Dapol's O gauge version has been.  Think of how many people you would make happy?  Light railway and industrial people who want company for the Hudswell Clarke; Brighton fans (BR, Grouping, and Pre-Grouping eras) who would have something to go with their E4s, I3s, forthcoming Atlantics, and wish-list C2Xs;  IOW fans who have that O2.  

And, who doesn't love a cheeky little Terrier?

Or a Great Western 517 Class 0-4-2T, or an old six-coupled Manning Wardle saddle tank? 

Vote for the old, interesting and small!  They got everywhere and have character in spades. 

I don't model 0 gauge but I did get a Dapol Terrier and I have to admit to being rather bowled over by it. All the same, many years ago I saw a video of a Terrier being pushed along by double heading a train with an E4. It was the E4 which caught my eye so I had been well and truly softened up when the Bachmann model appeared. Old, intersting and small? Oh yes, let's have them!

• Like 1

I don't model 0 gauge but I did get a Dapol Terrier and I have to admit to being rather bowled over by it.

It's now 20 minutes since you posted that, so are you still of the opinion that you don't model O gauge? I had absolutely no intention of ever doing it back in May when I ordered the first of my Terriers, but I had a layout waiting for it (and the other one) by the time it arrived :sungum:. Buying Terriers is very risky!

• Like 1

Well, I notice that the Great Western 517 Class 0-4-2T is on the wish-list poll.  Please vote for it and please let it be made by DJM!

Sorry, not for me. I voted for things that I want (or rather wish for). If I really want something I try and find a way a bashing one. Unfortunately not always successfully, but I do try to make an effort.

G.

• RMweb Gold

It's now 20 minutes since you posted that, so are you still of the opinion that you don't model O gauge? I had absolutely no intention of ever doing it back in May when I ordered the first of my Terriers, but I had a layout waiting for it (and the other one) by the time it arrived :sungum:. Buying Terriers is very risky!

Terriers, not just for Christmas.

• Like 1

Yes but I hadn't realised how risky! A yard of 0 gauge track and a leftover controller isn't going to do it. I've been eyeing wagons, track and so on and the forthcoming black Gronk and a few Heljan hoppers tempt as well. I don't know where it wil all end. If only we could go back to the Golden Age we have just emerged from, when locomotives didn't appear at the rate of half a dozen a month. :locomotive:

Yes but I hadn't realised how risky! A yard of 0 gauge track and a leftover controller isn't going to do it. I've been eyeing wagons, track and so on and the forthcoming black Gronk and a few Heljan hoppers tempt as well. I don't know where it wil all end. If only we could go back to the Golden Age we have just emerged from, when locomotives didn't appear at the rate of half a dozen a month. :locomotive:

If you want to keep the cost down, you can buy ready made wagons on eBay for around half the kit price. They're not perfect, but the ones I've got are OK, and can be improved when I get round to it. You can make plain track to bury under cobbles or lots of gunge from secondhand Peco OO Code 100 track bought cheap on eBay, as I've done for Cheapside Yard. Or use the rail on copperclad sleepers. Pointwork is harder, but Peco flangeways are pretty close to O-MF. Mine is O-16.5, as the layout is mixed gauge, but it may be possible to rebuild them to 31.5mm. Maybe I'll try it one day just for fun! Or build them using the rail from Peco track.

If you want to keep the cost down, you can buy ready made wagons on eBay for around half the kit price. They're not perfect, but the ones I've got are OK, and can be improved when I get round to it. You can make plain track to bury under cobbles or lots of gunge from secondhand Peco OO Code 100 track bought cheap on eBay, as I've done for Cheapside Yard. Or use the rail on copperclad sleepers. Pointwork is harder, but Peco flangeways are pretty close to O-MF. Mine is O-16.5, as the layout is mixed gauge, but it may be possible to rebuild them to 31.5mm. Maybe I'll try it one day just for fun! Or build them using the rail from Peco track.

Thank you for taking the trouble to make those suggestions. The Terrier might end up working a light railway terminus or through station but it is as likely (shock horror) to end up pulling wagons round a Christmas tree, although not this Christmas. Either idea is likely to vanish if someone announces the three gas turbines in 00 or any number of other things.

Incidentally, if I were Dave, I would avoid producing anything already produced but in need of improvement, the King is a good example of how that can come unstuck. I'd also avoid anything at the top of wish lists. The risk of duplication is too high. What he needs to do is look for something relatively obscure - the sort of thing we didn't know we wanted until it appears.

I had a long and interesting chat to a member of the Bachmann staff before the London Transport Museum special trip and he said that Bachmann's response to the C class's rapid disappearance off the shelves was, "Hello! :-)" He was quite right. Although I have a C class built from a kit, Bachmann has succeeded in generating an appetite for pre-nationalisation Cs that I never knew I had. Over to you Dave!

Thank you for taking the trouble to make those suggestions. The Terrier might end up working a light railway terminus or through station but it is as likely (shock horror) to end up pulling wagons round a Christmas tree, although not this Christmas. Either idea is likely to vanish if someone announces the three gas turbines in 00 or any number of other things.

Incidentally, if I were Dave, I would avoid producing anything already produced but in need of improvement, the King is a good example of how that can come unstuck. I'd also avoid anything at the top of wish lists. The risk of duplication is too high. What he needs to do is look for something relatively obscure - the sort of thing we didn't know we wanted until it appears.

I had a long and interesting chat to a member of the Bachmann staff before the London Transport Museum special trip and he said that Bachmann's response to the C class's rapid disappearance off the shelves was, "Hello! :-)" He was quite right. Although I have a C class built from a kit, Bachmann has succeeded in generating an appetite for pre-nationalisation Cs that I never knew I had. Over to you Dave!

Not sure the King is an example of coming unstuck, as they are 2 totally different products and i am more than happy to put both mine and the DJM name to the Hattons model which will set a benchmark, the same as the Western or Blue Pullman did.

• Like 1

Not sure the King is an example of coming unstuck, as they are 2 totally different products and i am more than happy to put both mine and the DJM name to the Hattons model which will set a benchmark, the same as the Western or Blue Pullman did.

Sorry if I trod on your toes, Dave. I meant that models of the same prototype from different manufacturers are bound to split the market, even though there are some here who clearly have enough cash to buy lots of both.

• 2 weeks later...