DJM Dave

I'd like the following wagons in oo and n gauge :-

VTG FWA Intermodal wagon.

Rover Box Cube wagon.

VTG JSA Steel wagon.

MJA Freightliner wagons.

HXA Freightliner coal wagons.

KFA Log wagons.

oh, and if possibly a 9 month maximum due date from the press release to shop release. I'm still waiting for the Dapol MJA Freightliner wagons and I think they are were announced at least 4 years ago and I'm still waiting. The companies really like to build up our hope and then take forever to release them and I'm really tired of this.

Thanks.

Mathew

(Just realised I sound like a expectant mother 9 month due date........LOL)

Edited by ews60002

Understood.

While these approaches do routinely generate the numbers you are talking about, I suspect the model railway fraternity is far too small for the 'donation' model to materially produce a result, and I suspect that in the UK, 'soliciting for investments' is illegal without all the paraphernalia of a prospectus and the attendant legal apparatus - it was in the US, though the recent JOBS act has changed this substantially.  The legal overhead may be too much to deal with, though I understand that BankToTheFuture is set up for this.

It would not, traditionally, be necessary to raise the actual funds from potential buyers, only the commitment to buy, which would then allow investors sufficient confidence to supply capital. The big change from current practice would therefore be that potential buyers were committed to purchase if the model was produced to the spec originally described. Currently, virtually all pre-orders are without final commitment, which would not be enough for an investor/lender to commit. Thus, risk transfers from lender and maker to customer - if the final model is a donkey, they are stuck with it. So reputation is a big factor in calling in that kind of commitment. You are probably one of the few people with a track record that could obtain this level of commitment, and there would be huge pressure on you to get it right first time, if you ever wanted any more orders. I guess the only way is to try!

Mike

PS - I would if it was for Sheerness Steel bogie scrap wagons...................ha!

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1

Roy,

you might be lucky with the Coal Tank as there is the preserved one. That seems to be a major factor in defining what gets produced for collectors by the RTR manufacturers. The Watford Tank is, I think, much more unlikely.

As a "Watford" man, you may be interested to know that a laser cut kit for Watford Shed has been commissioned by someone I know. That would look good with a selection of LNWR locos, but it means taking up kit building.

Jol

That’s a thought

Watford shed as viewed over the fence from platform 9 across the wedge toward the St.Albans bay platform with a hint of 11 &12 and the yard beyond.

I've often fancied a bash at some of the London Road stuff.

It would be a parallel project and would take a while due to a steep learning curve for me.  Still nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Where do I find out more about this shed kit. Watford had two quite distinct 3-road sheds side by side. I don't recall anything of them personally other than asking my mother what the big round hole in the ground was for! "That's where the turntable used to be" - "What's a turntable?"- and so forth. I didn't see much of Watford Junction until 1966 when the Abbey Flyer began stopping at Garston. (And we're back on the 313s again)

Thanks Jol

(and apologies to everyone else)

RP

Edited by Roy P

A 1366 Pannier in 00 and 0.

That's the serious suggestion, now how about Hawksworth's Pacific? Fowler's compound Pacific/Mikado proposals? Coleman's 2-6-2? Riddles' 2-8-2? Just sayin'...

Even in N, I doubt whether it is sensible now for any manufacturer to bring out any model that is not DCC compatible. That may mean that some smaller locos don't make the cut until such time as we have smaller decoders, plugs, etc.

Perhaps. But if Farish can squeeze a DCC socket into an Ivatt 2MT then I think that still leaves plenty of scope for small-medium locos. A Dean Goods might be a challenge but even that is not a lot smaller than a 2MT.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave

Further to my/your comments on Quad-Arts, I phoned a friend with the information (as he is not 'RMweb-connected'). He has asked me note his serious interest here (and he knows several more 'non-net-connected' modellers who would want sets too).

If you can find a 'clever design' way to keep the vehicles tightly spaced on the straight, yet open up on 2nd or 3rd radius curves, then that would be excellent. 

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

Other than 'banging on about industrials' as Andy put it so nicely I've been thinking about DJM possibly looking at 009 scale models.

Some of this I guess depends on the success of the PECO/Heljan venture with their L&B rolling stock.

However a link with the F&WHR may be fruitful.  There are a few standardised loco designs (The 'Fairleys', the 'Englands' and even the big SAR 'Garratts') with detail differences admittedly and plenty of livery variations.  Coaching stock too is fairly standardised as well and again offers livery variation.

On a smaller scale a RTR 'Quarry Hunslet-Alice Class' offers plenty of opportunities as well.

Just a thought. :)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think one thing we need to be mindful of in making suggestions is the matter of financial liquidity for a small company.  I suspect it isn't much cheaper to develop a coach than it is to develop a loco but in order to achieve a return it has to then sell at what many folk would regard as 'a high price' but the only way to recover the investment is then buy selling in volume - which a high price could mitigate against.  All well and good if a company has a broader base or a track record (and therefore has built up some financial security/bankability) but doing coaching stock in early days, or even dmus, looks like a financially risky way of going unless it is something esoteric and quirky and will therefore work in the market area where folk are not only prepared to spend money but actually have it to spend.  And that market probably amounts to what - maybe only 1,000 or so units (as in unit of production).

So in early days carefully chosen locos where sales of 1,000 or 1,500 units can be made at c£100 - 120+ would seem to represent a more viable business model, to me at any rate (unless of course tooling is shared with variants when a wider range of variants could probably be viable in smaller individual numbers).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

I suggest and would buy an LNWR railmotor, although the GWR version might be more popular as there is now one running.

Its a train in a box, ideal for the space limited modeller, add a van to the back and you can do a bit of shunting on arrival, hours of fun.

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up a business doing 3-D printing of loco, coach and wagon bodies that will fit on existing chassis, thereby avoiding reinventing the wheel (sorry). For example, I could use at least 3 3-car class 116 sets in their original condition, which involves 3 different bodies. I'm sure there are already 3 chassis out there that these bodies would fit on, and there may also be three roofs that will suit. So all it needs is a 3-d print of the appropriate bodies, and someone to decorate them and fit them to the already-existing parts, and you have a business supplying ready-to-run items which, once they are in the catalogue, can be supplied virtually on demand.

Of course, 3-D printing may not be good enough to do this at the moment, but I feel sure it will not be too long before it is.

• Like 1

... or a 4mm scale diorama of a kitten demolishing the GPO Tower...? ;)

My tuppence worth Dave, take your pick...!

7mm R-T-R :

NBL Class 22

2251 Collett Goods 0-6-0

15xx Pannier Tank

94xx Pannier Tank

41xx Prairie Tank

GWR Parcels Railcar, streamlined or razor style!

GWR Syphon G

D0280 / 1200 Falcon

4mm R-T-R :

15xx Pannier Tank

94xx Pannier Tank

GWR Syphon G

GWR Collett 'Sunshine' stock

And in either scale, how about some modular GWR pattern station canopies and cast iron supports, similar to those still intact at Oxford (north end of the up platform) and Princes Risborough...

• Like 1

Dave,

Put me down for a couple of quad art sets, I know the answer but I still reckon your the best person to manage the Class 21 project, I can't see Dapol proceeding with these. The quad arts would also look good sat behind a 21.

Others for me:

J6

A5

Coke Hoppers

Cheers

I know... how about a range of quality British outline models................................................. in H0? 

Or even S?

(It won't happen, of course, but I've long felt that even a few items, even kits, would help people get the feel of the scale and thus increase its popularity. Okay, back on topic...)

Predictably lots of pipe dreams here, but I would imagine you want to carve yourself out a bit of a niche in the market. E.g. Heljan with prototypes, Hornsby with SR etc.

The obvious gaps in the market, which several people have hit upon, and which present a progression from your J94 are industrials and small LNER locos.

To make a realistic suggestion: the Gresley J50 0-6-0 tank. Originated as a GNR design and survived for ages having been adopted as an LNER standard. So you get liveries from pre-grouping through to BR, AND wider geographical scope than any of the other pre-grouping designs people have suggested. Additionally its a charismatic looking loco, and the only previous RTR model I'm aware of was the ancient Lima effort.

I'd love a J15 and other small LNER types but I think the J50 would be most viable commercially.

I don't know much about industrial types, but the breadth of operation (or at least plausibility) should guarantee good sales!

• Like 1