DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Can't beat a good wishlist for getting people all excited. ;)

Obviously it's coming to that time of the year Andy loves with the annual Hornby 'guess list' for 2014 releases.  Where good men join together in harmony and Christmas cheer :D

Cheers,

Mark

Hello.

From a manufacturer's viewpoint, very difficult to get a correct statistical analysis from wishlists such as these. But quite a good PR exercise.

Cant agree more, totally pointless apart from a PR aspect.

• Like 1

It's about time someone did an Adams Radial and it might as well be someone who'll make a first class job of it!   

(I don't know if this form of serious fawning flattery will work or not but otherwise it means I've got to tackle that Martin Finney kit that keeps on glowering at me........................)

• Like 1

Another vote for the M.R. Johnson 1P 0-4-4T, both boiler versions + LNWR Webb 2-4-2T + J15 all in OO.

As an afterthought, add a F4 or F5 to that :sungum: , then I might be tempted to make another model of my hometown station (Ongar).

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

Ohh, an official wishlist thread? Well how could I not?

DMUs

Class 117

Class 123

(I'd have said "Class 40" if Bachmann weren't already planing to shrink-ray theirs)

Rolling stock

Highfit/Highbar in N (which Bachmann don't seem to want to shrink-ray)

SALMON or Borail

Some decent plate (E.g. SPV) wagons

Warwell and Warflat

Edited by Vanders

Thinking on a slightly lateral thought, how about a 4DD? LNER Y10 (both of them)? 009 Farlie? N gauge P2? The Great Bear? 009 Ruston? (didn't I already mention that one Dave ;))

Edited by 69843

I would urge Dave to aim primarily (thinking N gauge here) at prototypes that have never existed in RTR form, rather than new tools of models that do already exist - there are so many gaps still (particularly steam)!

Les' suggestion of an LNER tank loco, e.g. J72 seems a good one, given your experience of small tank locos.

Cheers,
Alan

A big yes please to an S15 , a Q Class and a 700 Class Black motor. Or just one of these, I for one would snap up a couple as I'm sure would a few other southern modellers.

No glamour here but absolutely necessary for Southern Region freight and secondary services.

Thank you Mr jones. From one to another.

Yours Sincerely G. Jones

Hi,

Myself I would like to a decent priced HAA hopper that would be great along with HDA,HBA,HMA, so and so on. I would love to see a class 59 done in all liveries and variations and also the JHA & JMA Hopper wagons. Also I would like to see BBA Steel wagons I know that particular model was to be done by Dapol I'm unsure if this is still the case.

Also the HIA & MJA wagons are these still going to be done by Dapol or will these now fall by the wayside. I echo the view of the freightliner flats and RHTT sets that's quite a good idea. I think some of DMU's that have been asked for 117s and Transpennies old and new are a good idea. Also what about some Chemical tanks like the Carbon Dioxide, Acetic Acid and Albright and Wilson and Ciba Cigy tanks surly there must be a market for these and maybe a decent ready to run VEA and SPA wagons.

• RMweb Premium

Agreeing that we're talking about models built to a high standard here...

So, a 43/53XX etc mogul, 94XX pannier and 47XX 2-8-0. These should all make good commercial sense. While we're at it please keep batting the D6XX Warship along.

Thanks for sticking your head above the parapet Dave.

Trevor

Cant agree more, totally pointless apart from a PR aspect.

Er, thats the second anti-wishlist post you've made here ... you don't have to read these threads if you don't like them ... as others have said, 'tis just a bit of fun (& PR)

Speaking of which Dave, could we have a rtr Jinty in 3mm please?  I reckon they'd sell by the handful ;)

Well then, let's see.....(I'm in N Gauge)

Biomass wagon...can't get any more modern!

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/drax-unveils-high-volume-biomass-wagon.html

APT 5 Car (as Hornby did), then as sales allow, extra coaches.

Like the 3 car PEP EMU family ideas.

RHTT modules for Freightliner flats...

317-322 family of EMUs

prototype HST power cars...

feel free to agree (or not) as you wish....

Later;

STU from EGDL

• RMweb Premium

Much of my own wishlist has already been mentioned (FFA/FGA, APT-P, Classs 142 etc), so instead here's what I'd like to see from any model:

• A body that's secure for day to day use but still easy to remove for chipping and maintainance - no clips that are so tight they break as you remove the body (or even worse, the body breaks!), no tiny screws needing an angled screw-driver to get around brake rods or guard-irons.
  • A body that's not connected to the chassis by any wires.
  • A decent drive system - Kato can manage to produce decent mechanisms (with no slop in the gear train, all wheel electrical pick-up, no need to oil before use and no split gears) so it should be possible for a British manufacturer to do the same.
  • Decent soldering.
  • Colour coded wiring for those of us wanting to fit wired DCC decoders.
  • Room for a Bachmann 6 pin decoder in N gauge models. They might not be the best at powering a motor but I'd much rather fit one of these in a dummy or trailler car for £5 less than a Digitrax/Lenz/NCE equivelent.
  • NEM coupling pockets at the correct height which don't droop.
  • Paint colours and finishes that match existing items.
  • Common liveries in first batches - e.g. never did see Olive green Dogfish from Dapol and had to wait ages for sector liveried class 60s from Farish.
  • Boxes that are easy to get into and allow removal of model without damaging detail. If they fill a 9l Really Useful box neatly then so much the better.
  • Wheel-sets that don't wobble.
  • Steam locos with axles that stop the wheel quartering from slipping.
  • Locomotives without names - I don't want all my fleet to be named locos!
  • Easily removed lump of chassis metal for DCC sound speaker

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

I would like to see more 'scale' wagons. There are so many options that we still need to create more prototypical trains.

For example;

• the ex LMS 5 plank wagon D1666 50,000 built, with numerous under frame options,
  • cattle wagons - (LMS, LNER, GWR or SR) lots of diagrams with lots of potential,
  • ex GWR 5 plank open (was it the O31 or O32 that was built in large numbers?),
  • Decent milk tanks - again many different options.

I don't know how much production costs would be, but surely a simple wagon would costs a lot less to design and would sell really well if it was a decent scale model.

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 1