DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

I bet you wish you'd never started this one. . . . . but, here's mine for what it's worth

N Gauge    Q6 hauling coal around Durham till 1967

K1  ditto

V1/3 still pulling locals until 1962

G5   surprised none of the Co Durham contingent has mentioned this one yet.

• RMweb Gold

Does it have to be locos or rolling stock ( or track ) ?

What about some new varieties of embossed brickwork - garden bond, flemish bond, stretcher bond, etc., in 7mm, 4mm & 2mm, in A4 sized sgeets ?

Why wish for something that already exists?

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Building%20Materials/Building%20Materials.htm

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/embossed.php

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

With several requests for the PEP units (313/4/5 - 507-8 ) to be considered, I have often wondered why the kit makers - DC kits, Southern Pride,Bratchell - have not attempted them as they would appear to tick most boxes. I almost feel that it is such an obvious choice that the kit makers believe that as soon as they'd released it, the R-T-R one will come along. But still it doesn't. I believe I read some where that Hornby got as far as a mock up 313 but went with the 466 instead as the 313 had too many vehicles. Hmmmm!

Maybe 313s are just haunted by the ghosts of 501s

RP

Remembering the luxury of facing forwards.

Edited by Roy P

After listening to a talk from Phil Badger of Ixion about selection criteria for new models,

selecting the correct model means that it has to sell or there will not be a next model.  

It occurs to me that by having a thread such as this, a lot of ideas get thrown into the mix. It’s a little like ‘Brainstorming’ by the masses.

Someone mght trow a an idea that actually has merit.

A decent steam breakdown crane, the type made by Hornby Dublo, but to today’s high standard.

A J50 0-6-0t

For sheer novelty value - GT3

Pie in the sky - An LNER Quad Art

Edit - All to 4mm scale

Edited by Darth Vader

115 116 118 121 123 124 (leaving off MTK's renditions) 126 127 ?

My personal preference would be for any or all of 116, 119, 120 and 123 in 4mm. Given the dearth of the longer 1st generation DMUs I'm sure most of the types would be welcome.

Justin 

Problem is that it would be up against what looks as if it could be a good 64XX (and autocoach) which is coming from Bachmann.  I know the geographical distribution of the two types leaves room for both - but does the model railway purchasing market?

Mike,

I think the present day mantra is "If you make it, someone will buy it".

It does seem that people will buy what they consider to be a nice model, even if it doesn't fit within their normal model requirements. For example, how many people have bought the L&Y 2-4-2T, the SECR livery C class, COT, etc., who other wise have no interest in that period/prototype and even if there no suitable RTR coaches to go with it?

Jol

Edited by LNWRmodeller

t occurs to me that by having a thread such as this, a lot of ideas get thrown into the mix. It’s a little like ‘Brainstorming’ by the masses.

This is RMWeb, we're more into brainf*rting than brainstorming ;)

A decent steam breakdown crane, the type made by Hornby Dublo, but to today’s high standard.

Now a breakdown crane sounds like a good plan!

After listening to a talk from Phil Badger of Ixion about selection criteria for new models,

selecting the correct model means that it has to sell or there will not be a next model.  

It occurs to me that by having a thread such as this, a lot of ideas get thrown into the mix. It’s a little like ‘Brainstorming’ by the masses.

Someone mght trow a an idea that actually has merit.

I think the idea of applying some sort of selection criteria to our "pipedreams" has merit so here are some of my criteria (not all have to be fulfilled and there will be the odd wild card!):

* It has been preserved so is available for scanning and younger people, who don't remember everyday steam on the railway, may have seen it.

* It is not too large for my layout and could have reasonably operated in the area I am attempting to represent.

* It can make use of parts already produced by the manufacturer.

* Good selection of liveries, and given the present craze for pre-grouping liveries (guilty as charged!) is a pre 1923 design.

My list for next year's wish list poll is:

GWR: Saint 4-6-0 and Bulldog 4-4-0.

SR: SECR Wainwright D Class 4-4-0 & H Class 0-4-4T; LBSCR K Class 2-6-0; LSWR 0415 Adams Radial 4-4-2T.

LMS: Midland Johnson 0-4-4T, LNWR 0-6-2 Coal Tank: L&Y Class 27 (A Class) Aspinal 0-6-0; CR 812 Class 0-6-0; LMS Stanier 2-6-2 T; LMS or LNWR Push Pull Set; Standard LMS Goods Brake Van.

LNER: GER J15 0-6-0; NER Q6 0-8-0; NBR J36 0-6-0; NBR D34 Glen 4-4-0.

BR Standard 3 2-6-0 and of course the Fell! (Many thanks to all those who responded to my previous suggestion for the Fell, It has quite a following in the Derby Area and it ended its career painted Green. I know a man who worked on it at Derby Works!) Derby Lightweight single unit "Iris"

I would 't necessarily buy all these  because of my 2nd criteria, but I think there is a nice cross section there Dave for you to get your teeth into (and the other manufacturers who are probably following this thread!) Sorry not much modern image, most of them have already been done!

A couple of thoughts for those who have persevered thus far:

25 of the J36s served in France during the 1st WW and one of them, 673 Maude (BR 65243), is preserved at The Bo'ness and Kinniel Railway. Would be a great model for 2018 to commemorate the centenary of the armistice.

There are three Scottish locos in the list, please do look North of the Border!

Finally if you are at the NEC next weekend please come and inspect "The Unknown Warrior" and support the project.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

It does seem that people will buy what they consider to be a nice model, even if it doesn't fit within their normal model requirements. For example, how many people have bought the L&Y 2-4-2T, the SECR livery C class, COT, etc., who other wise have no interest in that period/prototype and even if there no suitable RTR coaches to go with it?

Jol

You have a good point there Jol (I do like to support the NRM in this way, and Steam ;) ).  However I think with the 'cooking' models there is probably rather less interest than there is in 'pretty' specials although there some folk out there who will not only buy anything but also do their best to buy everything which is new.  It then comes down to batch size and the manufacturer ensuring he covers his costs on the first batch and this inevitably means the £100 plus six-coupled tank engines (or 0-4-2T) and look already at the hint of reaction to the price of the Heljan 05 diesel shunter.

the L&Y liveried 2-4-2T is selling out fast with over 400 of the 500 made now sold - tooling costs benefit from sharing with less pretty versions so the risk is spread but i bet some of them won't be  made on significantly greater numbers and I suspect the sales of some versions will be a lot slower than the pretty one from Shildon notwithstanding it being an attractive and useful loco (but nowhere near as useful to me as a Coal Tank - for which my fingers remain firmly crossed).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Mike,

Jol

Guilty!

Many people may work out their "normal modelling requirements" from what is available when planning their layout. If the layout has a particular theme then the stock requirement will be limited to some degree. After that it's what takes your fancy. And why not? I have the models you mentioned (L&Y on it's way this week) and a few others sitting in a cabinet as if in a museum while my principle operating interest is 1960s North London suburbia. Being born in Watford in 1961, I have rose tinted view of it. But a general interest in British railway heritage means that I also have a soft spot for historical museum pieces which is what the "pretty" models are to me.

RP

Strange no one appears to have mentioned LMS 57ft non-corridor coaches (Periods I, II and III) for which there are numerous locos already available just screaming for some of these coaches to haul.

Stan

Stan,

Please see my post above on p 9. I mentioned LMS Push Pull Stock which were built/converted from period I, II & III 57' non-corridor general service stock. The first 3 were converted from 54' coaches. See: LMS Coaches, An Illustrated History by D Jenkinson and R J Essery.

Will admit that it is buried within the rest of the post!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

In N gauge steam, two obvious gaps to me are a GWR large prairie to modern standards and GWR Churchward and Collett Moguls.

I had thought that since Ixion had said they were going to produce a GWR Mogul after their Manor, before they ceased N gauge production, that Dapol would announce one after they took over the Manor from Ixion. Instead they have chosen a Grange instead, which would obviously use more common parts from the Manor.

I also thought that Bachmann would have done a replacement for the Farish large prairie by now, as it is one of their oldest models. With almost all the GWR 4-6-0s now available or announced, and small locos such as 14xx, 57xx and 64xx also available or announced, there is a gap for medium size GWR motive power. This is especially the case now the Peco Collett seems to be out of production.

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G

Is this the place to keep banging on about little industrials? ;)

Go for it!

I am sure you know that you will get 100 replies with 100 different models. Why not use that annual poll thing?

As Brian McDermott has explained, the usual annual wish list doesn't cater for industrials. You could probably make a list of 100 of them!

How about some sort of Brakedown Crane? :)

A 45 Ton job with a scale length jib please :)

How about a Hudwell Clark 0-6-0ST in 4mm - the research has already been done. Alternatively any of the Hunslet 0-6-0STs (12", 15" or 16")?

Midland 2F, Kirtley curved frame Goods, Johnson 0-4-4T?

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• RMweb Gold

Thinking on a slightly lateral thought, how about a 4DD? LNER Y10 (both of them)? 009 Farlie? N gauge P2? The Great Bear? 009 Ruston? (didn't I already mention that one Dave ;))

Yes please, a 4DD............memories of going upto London to work......