Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N gauge Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

DJM Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave, do you have a rough idea when the Clayton's will be available to buy yet?

Dave posted yesterday in the Class 92 thread:

"Hi from dodging Irma whist away.

Internet is scarce out here but thanks to a Starbucks coffee I'm able to send this but may not be able to reply until my return, whenever that is due to prevailing conditions."

For those not familiar, Irma is a large and dangerous hurricane having gone through much of the Caribbean and heading for Florida.

Spotted it too, it looks really good and is coming on a treat. This EP appeared to have a complete geartrain in it but not sure if there was a motor too. I'm in for two, but may be tempted by another weathered one especially if Mercig do the master. 

Very impressed...

Roy

Spotted it too, it looks really good and is coming on a treat. This EP appeared to have a complete geartrain in it but not sure if there was a motor too. I'm in for two, but may be tempted by another weathered one especially if Mercig do the master. 

Very impressed...

Roy

Hi Roy from sweltering Cozumel. Looks like Irma hit Havana (my next stop) really badly, but at least 'Jose' is now tracking northwards and will miss the islands (fingers crossed)

The 17 on Mercigs stand was a fully working, motorised model.

The bogie to underside clearances are quite fine so i will need to look at the transition for gradients.

Also i note that the bogie swing fouls the end steps so i might have the N steps as separate items in the accessory bag for the customer to fit as i think the side brackets on each step will need removing unless you have very authentic radius curves.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

It was good to see the model and certainly looked right size and shape. Just waiting for production I hope , I have several on order from Rails of Sheffield  as well.

One question are the wheelsets following on from your experiences at Dapol and be stub axle ? or the modern Farish style - as it makes all the difference  for converting to 2mmfsa wheelsets. As all the differing locos from Dapol ended up with different axle point lengths it is hard to machine to 2mmfs  Whereas Association has some lovely standard sets for Farish that are genuinely drop in replacements.

Thanks in advance

Robert

• Like 2

Hi Roy from sweltering Cozumel. Looks like Irma hit Havana (my next stop) really badly, but at least 'Jose' is now tracking northwards and will miss the islands (fingers crossed)

The 17 on Mercigs stand was a fully working, motorised model.

The bogie to underside clearances are quite fine so i will need to look at the transition for gradients.

Also i note that the bogie swing fouls the end steps so i might have the N steps as separate items in the accessory bag for the customer to fit as i think the side brackets on each step will need removing unless you have very authentic radius curves.

Cheers

Dave

Hallo.

if it is fully working/motorised, is there a clip of it running, or at least the chassis running?

I will probably get the twin pack BR Blue version, but will wait to read the crits. Anyway, looking forward to see this being released.

Hope the motor does justice to the the looks! 

Good luck with the release

es grüßt

pc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I wasn't able to ask Dave today at Warley, I could see a sign saying Claytons coming soon with prices, but was anyone able to establish timescales. I could see the what appeared to be the same EP that was at the N Gauge Show in September, and very nice it looks too, but an update by anyone who was able to ask would be appreciated.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Sorry i missed you, would have loved a chat.

the class 17 is about to go to 2nd EP stage, and i have tested it and had adjustments made to the clearances of the bogie swing etc.

Next stage is getting a slot for 2nd EP, paying the bill, and then paint and production.

to play safe i've said today 22-3rd quarter 2018 for delivery.

hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just a couple of things by means of an update on the progress of the N gauge class 17 to production, and a small video.

Video first....... https://youtu.be/hcqQPjy7zdw

It's of the motorised first EP, which made it's debut at TINGS 2017, running on a layout this last weekend at Stafford show 2018.

Secondly, a progress report....

I wrote to all potential customers (over 200 of them) 10 days ago, with a proposal, and those of you who are they, and are reading this will know of it. 

To put it bluntly, i explained that cash flow to go to second EP and production was almost impossible at the moment due to being spread thinly financially. Please note this is not to say the business is destitute, but having the extra to pay for the remaining tooling to high definition wasnt on the cards until later this year.

So i asked the 'expressors' if they would like to pay for their models up front, as by doing so, the model could be developed further with 2nd EP tooling being done (please remember i had already paid 50% of the tooling myself on the project to get it to the stage you see in the video). By doing so, the 'expressor' would then get their model at the advertised DJM 'expressions of interest' price, and i would throw in free postage too, and as such they would avoid all subsequent price rises imposed by China in the last few years.

So, 'expressors' wrote back, and although some had had their circumstances change, or even changed gauges, eras etc, i'm please to say i managed to get 50 modellers to say 'yes'.

While not enough on it's own, when combined with the finances i have available i'm within 15 customers (so roughly £2000.00 +/-) saying yes to go ahead with both the model , and the box (yes the box needs tooling as well)

If you have not responded, and do not want the model, please mail me and say so, and i'll remove you from my list for this model as i do not need to keep your details on file. If you still want the loco but dont wish to pay up front, then please by all means sit tight, and i'll be invoicing you when it's ready for delivery.

So when is delivery? OK, as you know and can see, the 1st EP is done, and has been done for many months, as i said it debuted at TINGS 2017, and has been on show at Warley etc, and been tested in the meantime to make sure it is reliable and robust.

Going to 2nd EP tooling will start almost immediately, or at least preparations will as CNY is coming upon us and not a lot happens in the 3 or so weeks of shut down and start up.

2nd EP tooling means that the tool is locked down to have all the fine detail added, the glazing tool gets polished to allow for clear glazing, and a further EP sample (working) is delivered to me for final tests, along with painted samples for approval.

Once this is done, the models go into production, scheduled to take a month, then 6 weeks to get here and be distributed.

So i'm aiming at the loco release at or before the TINGS N gauge show in October 2018

Thanks to all who took the leap to allow this to continue and finish this year.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Dave

Could you please let us know if the Barrow Hill locos (D8604 to D8616) will carry the numbers on the buffer beams as the real ones did.

If you have a picture of them or can point me in the right direction then yes, they will.

Cheers

Dave