PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

• RMweb Premium

Well finally finished the Beattie apart from coal (which seems to be in short supply here in the Amazon), in the bunker

Now I need to find another project of my own to do.

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

Now just need to hide it from tomanyspams.

Beautiful Peter.

I think your next project should be to build another one. I can think of somebody who could use it!

That's a great looking loco, very nice build.

Thanks Ken

I am sure I scratch build if I did another one.

Beautiful Peter.

I think your next project should be to build another one. I can think of somebody who could use it!

Thanks

I was thinking more of a horse box, but for the right price you never know.

Hi Peter,  Love the well tank, really missing the big stuff ? wagons look good too..

George

Thanks George

I am pleased with it too.

Your layout is coming on in leaps and bounds. Hope mine will too when I get started.

I do hope so Peter, as I seem to have 2 in my stash (Shedmaster via Laurie Griffin).......

Mine was a pure Shedmaster one. Unless Laurie has redone the etches. The chassis is really throw away and start again, I really had trouble with the cylinders, I also think Lauries slide bars and crossheads are too big. Unless I got things seriously wrong. The rivet detail is not right but I lived with that. The one with square splashers is worst the arc on there is in the wrong place.

Mine was a pure Shedmaster one. Unless Laurie has redone the etches. The chassis is really throw away and start again, I really had trouble with the cylinders, I also think Lauries slide bars and crossheads are too big. Unless I got things seriously wrong. The rivet detail is not right but I lived with that. The one with square splashers is worst the arc on there is in the wrong place.

I very much doubt that he has, but I may be pleasantly surprised - or then again utterly dismayed......

After building the GWR 63XX class and starting the 850 class. I need to get back to some real railway modelling. So instead of starting a kit I thought I would start a long term project of mine. I want a LSWR 0395 class goods engine. They lasted until BR but were superseded by the 700, Q,and Q1. A lot were lent sold or hired to the WD some never came home. I feel that one would look right at home on Bodmin the layout when that starts later in the year. I have a 700 class kit to build, so I will not be short of goods locos.

The only kit I know of is the ex Shedmaster one, which is a blown up Jidenco kit. So scratch build it is. I will buy the castings from Laurie Griffin so I will need to arrange for them to be at my mums at Christmas. I have the tender wheels but not the drivers. I will just plod along doing what I can in the meantime. It will also give me a chance to decide whay is bing made and what will be bought.

I have a copy of a GA drawing so I have scaled to 7mm, and made loads of copies so I can cut and paste to do certain parts.

This will be a slow job as I have other things to do. But I am hoping that it will be sometime next year rather than any later.

post-13601-0-81535000-1406736726_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-34948500-1406736732_thumb.jpg

Well here we go, maybe the next episode will be more interesting.

• Like 3

I've got a soft spot for this loco, I built the Jidenco kit as commission some time ago and your decision to scratch build is certainly the correct one.

Simon

Thanks

I am glad I have made the right decision. I also wanted to actually scratch build a loco as I have not done one for a few years.  

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I have enjoyed following your inspirational thread and the Well Tank in particular.

I think the 0395 class as its companion is a fine choice, Although in 4mm here is my model of 3441.

post-243-0-84707400-1406791423.jpg

• Like 4

Pete

I have enjoyed following your inspirational thread and the Well Tank in particular.

I think the 0395 class as its companion is a fine choice, Although in 4mm here is my model of 3441.

attachicon.gifnevard_130213_FishertnSraum_DSC_4147_LR.jpg

Thanks Graham

I like your 4mm one I never got the chance to do one when modelling in 4mm. I am looking forward to cutting some metal in the next day or two.

There was an article in an early MRJ about building one of these in 7mm from a Shedmaster kit.  In my memory serves me right, a lot was thrown away and replaced by scratchbuilt parts.  One of these kits lay un-built in the club room for many years.  I resisted all attempts to persuade me to build it.   A friend eventually bought it, but had a fair bit of trouble with it!!  Shame, as it a pretty little engine.

My reasoning was the fact that the BTW was awkward enough ( resisted the temptation to say hard as it was a simple loco to do). I do not blame you for resisting the Shedmaster. It is a shame really as the old Jidenco range of ex LSWR engines was a usefull lot.

I thought  long and hard about what to build. It was a toss up between this and one of the earlier  6' 6" 4-4-0's from Adams. But I thought I have a M7, an A12 and the BTW for passenger stock at the moment but only a 700 goods. I also really like the 0395.

• Like 1

I have done some cutting at last. I have had this project on the back burner for at least 4 years so I am very pleased I have actually done something at last.

Looking through my bits I found that I bought wheels for my 700 class. so I can use those for this then replace later. As all the casting for the 700 are in the UK I cannot finish that so I will use on the one that needs them first.

I have cut out the frames for the tender and engine. These are from .028" Nickel silver. I have also made the spacers for both too. I just need to do the parts for the compensation before I can assemble them.

I will be fitting inside dummy valve gear whether it is a cast set I have or I cut it out of sheet I am unsure until I can see how the castings fit when the frames are together.

The 2nd spacer from the left in the loco set will be the cylinder block, I still need to attach the detail casting.

I am very surprised, I know it is a small loco but these frames especially the loco ones seem tiny, they are the same length as the GW 850, and thats a small pannier.

post-13601-0-79593300-1407153160_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-69646400-1407153163_thumb.jpg

Might be a wait till next weekend for another update as I have to do some money making work in preference to this.

• Like 1

Couple of daft questions :

Do you make the frames up in pairs, presumably tack soldered in key places?

What tools are you using to do the cutting and shaping?

The daft questions are the ones not asked.

Yes I solder them together than cut out as one I always heavily tin one side, if the irons do not get it hot enough to melt the solde I carefully use the gas stove. The old cast iron electric hobs were good too, just make sure SWMBO is out they do not like this sort of thing, just the same as washing paint rollers in the washing machine.

I attached part of a drawing I scaled to the correct size to the metal. I make about 6 copies of the drawing at the same time so they all come out the same as the printer is warm. I found even using the same recipe for printing another time they come out differently. You have to be care not to distort the drawing when sticking it down. Also with a GA drawing you need to be careful just to follow the lines needed it is easy to get lost.

To do the cutting I use a piercing saw with 4-0 or 6-0 blades, and a small 5" half round file and the usual assortment of needle files. The holes are carefully done free hand with a Dremmel. Soon I hope to get a small bench press for this sort of work.

The tender frames are still together.

I will make the coupling rods and then do the bush holes in the frame to suit.

Peter,

Have you decided on a prototype number yet for the 0395?

Not as yet I have a couple of possibles. Which I have photos of in the correct period. Both with square windows so that save making a decision before I start the body.

Hi Peter

A scratch build, Yipee! I am still fighting with the Skye Bogie tender but it is slowly giving up the struggle. In the meantime I bid for, and won, a Mega kits HR 'Barney' on Ebay. It is obvious that the brothers Drummond, collaborated on both the 700 and the Barney.

Watching with interest.

Sandy

I agree about the Drummond brothers, I often need to double check old photos of their work. Sound like you are going to have your hands full with those two.

I have only made one Megs kit and that was a MR class1 tank, went together quite well. I tried to get a H15 I think from Ebay but someone thought it was worth far too much.

As for my 0395, it feels so good to of finally cut some metal after procrastinating for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

Not doing very well on the 0395. We have moved Back to the inlaws as the wifes sister has now got another apartment. So what with the move and overseeing the the refitting of our bathroom at the apartment. Time has been a little scarce. once the bathroom is done I will be going to the house daily so work should then progress nicely.

I have managed to get the coupling rods made even if they need a bit more cleaning and polishing. At least not I can do the compensation beams and set up the frames ready for the brakes etc. I am there is no outside valve gear as it is harder work to fret out and file than it was in 4mm. I think they are close enough to make a nice free running chassis, I have seen worse ones in loco kits. I have hinged them on the knuckle using some plain shank screws with the head made smaller.

post-13601-0-83579600-1408050441_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-62773500-1408050640_thumb.jpg

As for numbers I have narrowed it down to a choice of two with a possible third.

1)  E0101 this has a Drummond chimney with open safety valves, no cabside number, injectors somewhere under the cab.

2) E0155 as above but with a closed in safety valve.

Possibly

3) 3163 Drummond chimney, cabside number plate, enclosed safety valves and injectors between centre and rear driving wheels.

All are black lined green.

Not doing very well on the 0395. We have moved Back to the inlaws as the wifes sister has now got another apartment. So what with the move and overseeing the the refitting of our bathroom at the apartment. Time has been a little scarce. once the bathroom is done I will be going to the house daily so work should then progress nicely.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 1

Peter, hope you do not mind, but I have just checked Bradley's book on the Adams classes. 101 appears to be from the long framed batch built in 1885-6. The other two are from the short framed batch built in 1883.

Not sure which batch your drawing is from. The frames on the long ones were 28ft. The short ones were 26ft 8 1/2ins.

Edit. Just looked back at the previous page of this thread and the drawing looks like that for a short framed one. So 101 may have to be eliminated as an option I think.

Thanks Paul

Well that makes things even easier. I had not noticed that it was a long frame. I was to busy checking all the other bits. So it is looking more likely to be E0155 then