PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

D1402 outside framed LSWR covered goods wagon - the one with the triangular steel(?) bracing to the wooden frame X sides? 

Now that is one that I was going to look at. the triangles are vent covers. I think with this van a few others are easy. Fruits, meats etc.

I was also thinking of maybe a cattle and single bolster.

It looks superb Peter,  I take my hat off to you and look forward to the next one eagerly!

Thanks Rob

I not sure when the next one will start I really need to get some new stores. But I have some ideas which is the main thing.

Back to the BTW for a bit. I was hoping for the final time, but a little accedent means I have to wait for the flux to arrive. One of the cab steps came, got knocked off. I think a deft touch with the RSU with plenty of flux will re attach it without damage to the outside.  All this means I cant give the body a coat of varnish yet.

But I have done the cab, which I think has come out very well. The crew are a tight fit but that was true of the real thing too. I just need make a shovel for the fireman to lean on whilst he finishes his tea.

The chassis is now with pickups and runs very well. I managed to get pickups on all six wheels. I also added a little weight to the frames. The loco comes in at just over 500 grams. I am not going to add any more until I have had a play. I dislike heavier than needed locos. As it's duties will be 8/10 wagons I will only weight it enough for that.

Here are the piccies. I will add more when the loco is finished.

post-13601-0-47454500-1400595636_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-94186400-1400595643_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-22223000-1400595647_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-79015900-1400595665_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-23601900-1400595672_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Brilliant work

Thanks Tom I am now at the stage I want it finished and put away to make sure it stays safe.

That's only the second BWT in 7mm scale I have ever seen. Mine is also 3298! Looking good Peter.

Thanks Paul.

B###er! But it has to be 50-50 chance we had the same number.

I think you did more alterations to yours than I did to mine, I seem to recall you did chassis and cab, I built the body as per the kit. I got mine partly built, for the price of the wheels and motor. My main work was getting the chassis to do something other than look good on a shelf.

If either of you is looking for somewhere safe to keep a BWT then let me know.

Mine is the right version for you but in the wrong livery, I think it is quite safe here.

Spams, with you coming to Barnstaple in July, probably a bank vault.

Peter, our duplication may be due to the fact that the buffers supplied in the kit are only suitable for 3298 and not 3314?

Is yours in Maunsell livery?

Yes mine is in plain black Maunsell livery of 1933. It may in the future get a wooden front buffer plank, stove pipe chimney and back dating to the green lined black livery, No 0298. It is closer to my modelling era.

It is bl##dy tipical. I just finish my brake van which I had a struggle finding photos of it. Yesterday I received Mike Kings Southern wagons in colour and there are not one but teo lovely shots of the one on the Isle of Wight. My guess about where the SR where put was correct.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for posting the extra shots of your work. The vintage train looks great! Amazing to think just a few months back the vehicles behind that loco were just flat pieces of plasticard.

All the best,

Colin

Impressive PLV Peter.

Thanks Ken

All ways nice receiving praise from a talented man such as yourself.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for posting the extra shots of your work. The vintage train looks great! Amazing to think just a few months back the vehicles behind that loco were just flat pieces of plasticard.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin

I think your work with plasticard is inspirational. Your latest side replacement was a cracking good job.

• 1 month later...

Well finally finished the Beattie apart from coal (which seems to be in short supply here in the Amazon), in the bunker

Now I need to find another project of my own to do.

post-13601-0-78385200-1405972365_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-44137000-1405972374_thumb.jpg

Now just need to hide it from tomanyspams.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1