Never posted a vid on here before so here goes!

This is a vid of one of my n gauge locos off my layout 'Jedburgh'.

It was originally a Farish china earlier-type loco but has been repainted in large logo as 37413, it's fitted with a Zimo MX648 with Paul Chetter's sounds and I've also fitted directional lighting and Dapol easi-shunt couplings.

I took this vid after relocating the speaker from the body to the fuel tank but, truth be told, there is little or no difference in sound quality or volume.

Hope you like!

• Like 2

I have recorded and edited no less than seven new videos today. They all come with my trademark dodgy camera work!! :D

There are still a couple of (relatively) recent additions/reblows I haven't recorded yet, but these should be enough to go on for the time being.

From legomanbiffo, I have added reblows to a Hornby class 08 and a Bachmann class 25. The latter has also undergone a transformation from blue 25 279 to green D7638, by the simple expedient of swapping bodies! I also had a class 205 2/3H decoder reblown to legomanbiffo's new MPV sounds, having bought a replacement with his sounds on for the 205 from DC Kits earlier.

Also new was a class 42 Warship and a Bulleid Q1 0-6-0 from Howes and reblows included class 92 sounds over the class 53 sounds previously bought from Howes (the sounds were fine but I thought they were just too similar to the Western sounds - same engines but diesel electric instead of diesel hydraulic).

I wanted sound for my Bratchell class 319/1 s well and, while no one actually offers a 319 sound project, legomanbiffo's class 321 is as close as I'm likely to get for the time being. I had a 21-pin decoder spare but the Replica Railways motorised chassis has an 8-pin socket. I have two Hornby Sapphire decoders in service and both did not require the 8-to-21 pin adaptors, so I utilised one of those to use the 21-pin decoder in the 319. It was a little loose so I added some black-tack to hold it firmly in place. The unit runs fine here but the trailers do still require a little more weight to be added for reliability.

The Bachmann class 25/legomanbiffo:

th_LegomanbiffoBachmannClass25_zpsabbf71

The Hornby class 08/legomanbiffo (I know about my typo in the title screen!!):

th_LegomanbiffoHornbyClass08_zpse3ef4171

The Bachmann MPV/legomanbiffo:

th_LegomanbiffoBachmannMPV_zpsb7d2137e.j

The Bachmann Warship/Howes:

th_HowesBachmannClass42Warship_zpsc312be

The Hornby Q1/Howes:

th_HowesHornbyQ1_zpsb296bf84.jpg

The Bratchell class 319/legomanbiffo 321:

th_LegomanbiffoBratchellClass319_zps4d94

And the oddball - the Heljan class 53 with class 92 electric sounds. I know it's a bit incongruous!!

th_HowesClass92inHeljanClass53_zps68f497

Edited by SRman

I have recorded and edited no less than seven new videos today. They all come with my trademark dodgy camera work!! :D

The Bachmann class 25/legomanbiffo:

th_LegomanbiffoBachmannClass25_zpsabbf71

biffs 25 is great i have it just playing with some speakers atm for better sound i have already put a bass reflex in the tanks but i have another thats got the 24 sound as to make them sound different on my layout for that one there is only one tank and a found a 4 om 2 watt 20x12 the sound is unreal may but putting it in a few more will post when done 

cheers ian 

• Like 1

For my much older class 24 (LokSound v3.5) one from Howes, I added a bass enhanced speaker which really brought out the best from it. 

I still have to play around with the speaker set ups on all of these recent ones. For the moment, the 25 has the standard Bachmann speaker setup enclosed with some Blu-Tack to seal it. I'm sure it can be improved, even without a speaker in the tanks (not enough room in this one!).

well i finally got my new speaker in last night but it was running like a bag of spanners. . .a pick up had come off and Bachmann,s famous 2 ton of grease on the pickups 

, even without a speaker in the tanks (not enough room in this one!).

how come there isnt any room i have one with only one tank that now has the small speaker in but with lap top speaker you get great sounds out so and it looks ok as ther is around 4 mm each side 

ian 

Well, yes one can put a small speaker in the single tanks of the 25 but for the best Sulzer rasp, the bigger speakers are generally better. Having said that, a 'sugar cube' speaker may just be the go, in conjunction with a bass enhanced one inside the body.

I usually find I have to experiment a bit with combinations of speakers before I am happy with the result. Fortunately, speakers are cheap enough to buy quite a few spares of different types to keep in the bits boxes. :)

p.s. The laptop speakers are a very good idea too.

Edited by SRman

• 4 weeks later...

Trevor,

Yes, it will be, but not just yet. I'm putting some finishing touches to it before release.

There will be a full step by step photo feature in the next issue of Hornby Magazine which will tell you all you need to know.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, I have Hornby mag and am eager to have sound in my Sentinel. Do you know yet when the Sentinel Project will be available, please?

Edited by shedman

Never posted a vid on here before so here goes!

This is a vid of one of my n gauge locos off my layout 'Jedburgh'.

It was originally a Farish china earlier-type loco but has been repainted in large logo as 37413, it's fitted with a Zimo MX648 with Paul Chetter's sounds and I've also fitted directional lighting and Dapol easi-shunt couplings.

I took this vid after relocating the speaker from the body to the fuel tank but, truth be told, there is little or no difference in sound quality or volume.

Hope you like!

Ian, an excellent job (could I say awesome!) - though with excellent sound files too. This puts to shame a lot of the OO gauge equivalents I've seen (including an RTR 37/4 I bought for my nephew), glad to see that more people are disproving the fallacy that DCC sound is not for N gauge. Hopefully I will get a few more N locos converted soon with Multi-drive MX648s later this year but I am trying to finish a 4mm layout for my nephew. Just a shame its not a nice Sulzer loco ;-)

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by dwhite4dcc
Duplication of video file

Thanks Paul, very kind!

I think the true main difference is in the running qualities! It's tight and delicate work but with quality decoders and a smooth loco it's well worth the effort regardless of scale. N gauge locos are catching up to OO now and if you can drive an n gauge loco slowly and smoothly sound is very viable. Nice to see companies like DJM taking it seriously and planning for sound chambers to be fitted!

Ian B

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a Brit in the US, as those who have read the thread on the Bachmann L & Y R I just installed sound in will know. Being in the US it's hard to resist dabbling in US model trains just for some variety. Thought I'd make a couple of videos of some of my collection just to give a flavour for what US modelers have available.

This first is one of my favourites. The loco is preserved and does to railfan excursions. The model manufacturer, Broadway Limited Imports, includes some interesting sound effects which I play at the end of the video. Hope you enjoy (and I hope this works!).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hmde2bFiaec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Cooped

Ok, I've tried all sorts of things and I just can't seem to get this video to embed! Where am I going wrong? I've tried it in internet explorer, firefox, new code, old code. It just pastes the code and no video appears. Help!!

Ok, I've tried all sorts of things and I just can't seem to get this video to embed! Where am I going wrong? I've tried it in internet explorer, firefox, new code, old code. It just pastes the code and no video appears. Help!!

When I post you tube clips....it is just a simple matter of copying the link and putting in your post....thats all I do.

Is that what you are doing.??

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks, yes that's what I'm doing. In You tube below the video I'm clicking share, then embed and selecting the code that appears in the box, copying and pasting straight into the post. This seems to be how you tube instructs you to do it, is there different there to how you do it?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Bob

Thanks, yes that's what I'm doing. In You tube below the video I'm clicking share, then embed and selecting the code that appears in the box, copying and pasting straight into the post. This seems to be how you tube instructs you to do it, is there different there to how you do it?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan

I dont do it that way........when I have the video up on my you tube home page. I click on it to run, so that the link for it comes up at the top of the page, in the line that begins

https://www.youtube....etc etc

I then right click on the link to highlight it, then click the word copy in the drop down box.

I then just paste it in my post on a thread.

Hope that helps.

Bob.

Hi Bob

Thanks, that's what I did with the video in the L & Y R thread and it just gave the link to the you tube page. I'll try it again in this post.

Edited by Cooped
  • Like 1

Ok, now we've figured this video posting, this is a Broadway Limited Imports New York Central Dreyfuss Hudson, in 1938 livery. These hailed the famous 20th Century Limited train.

• Like 1

Last one for now. MTH again, a New York Central Mohawk. All of these models have synchronized smoke, the MTH smoke generators seem to produce a thicker plume that the BLIs. At the end of this video I raised the camera up to show the smoke better. This loco can blow smoke rings!

• Like 2

This one may be of interest. It's a Bachmann US budget sound loco, maybe an indication of what the UK market may get with the budget sound range coming sometime. It's pretty basic, just a few sounds, bell, a couple of student whistle lengths and a cylinder blow down really. No programming ability which is a little annoying as the chuffs are out of sync with the wheel revolutions which is something I would want to fix. The loco itself is also a bit basic, also from the budget range. It's a bit of a generic loco, there is no PRR prototype of this kind. Having said that it cost me $99 a couple of years back so a bargain really.

I love the synchronised smoke, very nice.

I'm a fan of the smoke too. Many think it's too thin to be realistic, which is true, but I say no smoke is even less realistic! Besides you'd soon not be able to breath if it had prototypical volumes of smoke!

Edited by Cooped

I'm a fan of the smoke too. Many think it's too thin to be realistic, which is true, but I say no smoke is even less realistic! Besides you'd soon not be able to breath if it had prototypical volumes of smoke!

I just want the smoke........we'll just have to hold our breath.......they are really good vids, and as Biff says, the synchronised smoke is fantastic.