Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

A little bit of pixel counting gives the following ratios:

post-7525-0-27836600-1391191529.png

So, livery application aside, the problem is actually that the main windows are not deep enough and are positioned too high up on the body. This gives the effect of the lower edge of the main window aligning with the bottom of the door window. I've measured to the edges of the frames but if you take into account the fact that the Bachmann frames are over-scale, the effect of the windows not being deep enough (to the eye) is amplified.

Guy

post-7525-0-89301500-1391191568.jpgpost-7525-0-90138800-1391191574.jpg

A little bit of pixel counting gives the following ratios:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-01-31 at 18.04.25.png

So, livery application aside, the problem is actually that the main windows are not deep enough and are positioned too high up on the body. This gives the effect of the lower edge of the main window aligning with the bottom of the door window. I've measured to the edges of the frames but if you take into account the fact that the Bachmann frames are over-scale, the effect of the windows not being deep enough (to the eye) is amplified.

Guy

attachicon.gifmodel.jpgattachicon.gifprototype.jpg

Good graphic, explains things pretty well, thanks. Also serves to highlight the definite discrepancies between the grey stripe application among various units!

I can definitely *tell* that the windows aren't deep enough, although by your pixel ratio it's only a small amount: by eye I might have thought it was more. I certainly think that the b/g version appears to exacerbate the effect, the all blue is not nearly so jarring to me. I also think that if the manufacturer hadn't over- thickened the window surrounds we probably wouldn't even be talking about this. The over thick windows are also very noticeable on the N scale version- did they upscale the thing, I wonder?

I think it's strange how such a relatively small error is so well highighted in this case and mainly only on one livery variant, especially as I'm usually not one to dwell on such issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been talking to a fellow modeller who enquired at the Bachmann stand at Model Rail Glasgow as to the progress on the 101, in particular the blue/grey version. 

He was told the paint work is being reworked after all the comments on RM Web.  But no mention of the window aperture sizes and positions, nor the frames. So unfortunately we must assume tooling is far too advanced to revise. 

Interestingly there was no 101 painted or unpainted in the showcase.

No release date as yet.

This isn't really my thing but I found this discussion interesting.

Just an observation. If you go back to the photos in post 13 the application of the grey panel appears to differ on the two sides of the model.

In the upper photo the white line is hard up against the window seal (?) moulding but in the lower picture it is higher up leaving a grey area above the moulding. To my eye this results in the windows not "looking" so out of position.

Adrian

To add to the post from lyneux I have made the same comparison but with the Hornby model.

post-7112-0-85336600-1393767906.jpg

With a full comparison chart below (thanks to lyneux for an excellent representation of the data).

post-7112-0-32599300-1393769316.png

The windows on the Hornby/Lima model are still too shallow but as they are mounted lower than on the Bachmann model the effect is reduced.

Very interesting information from Flood - thanks for going to the trouble of comparing the Hornby one.

To me the blue and grey Hornby / Lima sides always "looked" right (despite the under frame block) - but the front windows looked wrong!  Corners too rounded and a little bit deep?

I am a fan of DMU's (hence my ID!) so I'm sorry to appear ultra fussy!

I guess when Bachmann alter the proportions of the paintwork it'll be about the best we can hope for.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good look at the latest blue sample at Ally Pally today. Think (as an average modeller) I can just about live with the door window discepancy.

Did I also notice that the window surrounds have now been 'tidied up' since Warley?

Although will be waiting for a three car version before I retire my 'Limby' unit.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bachmann Class 101 review in Model Rail 197 to be published on June 6.

Good news they're on their way, but which livery version did Bachmann supply... this could make a big difference as to how any errors in door heights etc. look.

Photo of a green one on Tony Wright's 'Wright Writes' thread.

I asked Bachmann about the green speed whisker ones - they will be E50231 (Newcastle) and E56083 (Middlesbrough).

Good news they're on their way, but which livery version did Bachmann supply... this could make a big difference as to how any errors in door heights etc. look.

Plain blue with yellow ends - the worst livery - and the model looked fine to me.

• RMweb Premium

Plain blue with yellow ends - the worst livery - and the model looked fine to me.

Bachmann chose well... Certainly the worst for identifying, or best at hiding, discrepancies in door/window heights. Won't stop me buying one though. Hopefully not yet more ER numbered vehicles...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, the picture of the 101 on Tony Wright's 'Wright Writes' thread has made me sit up! The DMBS has, unless I am very mistaken, the first ever application of the jumper cables on the drivers cab end buffer beam. With the correct bogies and engine and switch-boxes, the window mis-alignment problems seem, certainly on this green model, to be of slightly lesser concern to me now than when I first saw the early images of the 101. I will be making at least one purchase of one upon release, and maybe sell on an old Lima 101.

This is one unit where at last I will not have to add on those jumper cables. I wonder if this detail can be retro-fitted to the other first generation units? Probably not!

All the best,

Market65.

Hi, the picture of the 101 on Tony Wright's 'Wright Writes' thread has made me sit up! The DMBS has, unless I am very mistaken, the first ever application of the jumper cables on the drivers cab end buffer beam. With the correct bogies and engine and switch-boxes, the window mis-alignment problems seem, certainly on this green model, to be of slightly lesser concern to me now than when I first saw the early images of the 101. I will be making at least one purchase of one upon release, and maybe sell on an old Lima 101.

This is one unit where at last I will not have to add on those jumper cables. I wonder if this detail can be retro-fitted to the other first generation units? Probably not!

All the best,

Market65.

Maybe Tony fitted them. Ours came with them in a bag, and the tension-locks fitted.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Tony fitted them. Ours came with them in a bag, and the tension-locks fitted.

CHRIS LEIGH

Many thanks. This is still great news, for this is still a  further step-up in detail which has not been seen before on the first generation DMU's. I will be making that purchase!

All the best,

Market65.

This is an interesting illustration of how priorities differ amongst modellers.  I like my models to have the basics right in shape and dimensions, and the fine detail is icing on the cake- there are aftermarket sources for such details.  If the basics are wrong but the extra parts are nice, it's like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Archived