Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

This is an interesting illustration of how priorities differ amongst modellers.  I like my models to have the basics right in shape and dimensions, and the fine detail is icing on the cake- there are aftermarket sources for such details.  If the basics are wrong but the extra parts are nice, it's like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Totally agree. A model can be resprayed or detailed with a plethora of aftermarket detailing bits, but if the basics aren't right - then it's a struggle.

Doesn't matter which way up down or sideways you look at this - those windows being way out is a major flaw in the appearance of the unit. Quite how Bachmann could get this so wrong after doing a reasonable job on their other DMU's, surprises me.

It also interests me to see comments on modellers accepting that Bachmann will be providing separate sprues, with detailing that needs adding by them after purchase.

Considering the furor around ViTrains doing the same - is this a sudden change in attitudes?

Another thing I've noticed is that, although there are separate handrails around the Guards door, there's moulded grabrails next to the drivers door. I raised this with Bachmann last year at the DEMU showcase, and was told by the rep that this would be the future to drive costs down - and not only could we expect to see moulded handrails all round in future, but sprung buffers would also be replaced by moulded plastic as well.

If true, it's sad to see a retro step in detailing for the British market, but this is what happens when a producer has to aim at what the market place are prepared to pay for a model.

Personally, I will be interested to see if the Lima/Hornby body can be fittted to the Bachmann chassis, as i had already purchased a shed load of Lima/Hornby bodies with the intention of scratchbuilding a decent chassis. If the Bachmann lump can be made to fit, it will save me a lot of time. :imsohappy:

cheers

Andy

I don't have a problem with moulded handrails of the type produced by Bachmann, as the representation of grab rails and door handles is done so finely, with the items being close to the vehicle body and the brass paint finish having no discernible bleed, so it fools most people into believing that the items are separate fitments. BigAndy in the previous posts believes that the drivers grab rails for the 101 being moulded, is a new step. Bachmann did the same with their previous DMU, the Derby Lightweight, which has moulded drivers lower grab rail and upper hand rail, it also has moulded grab rails for the guards door, but they are so finely moulded that even being body coloured you are tricked into believing they are separate fitments. The 2EPB EMU and the Cl 205 DEMU did both have fitted guard's handrails, but I really can't tell the difference and had to test all with a thin piece of paper to check which were moulded and which were separate.

Unlike Hornby, Bachmann have mainly used moulded detail for door fittings on their coaches and MU stock, with the added detail, apart from underframes, being filler pipes and roof access handrails, jumper cables for EMUs etc.

Not sure why my last message got this:

Indecipherable/Unsure of meaning x 1
List

Simply providing a link to where the picture can be found, rather than just saying a picture is somewhere in a multi page thread.

Not sure why my last message got this:

Indecipherable/Unsure of meaning x 1

List

Simply providing a link to where the picture can be found, rather than just saying a picture is somewhere in a multi page thread.

I've no idea why that person found you indecipherable. But you can link direct to an individual post if you want - see the post number in the top right hand corner? Click on that, and the URL for that post will appear.

I was very excited to discover this the other day. I need to get out more.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I've no idea why that person found you indecipherable. But you can link direct to an individual post if you want - see the post number in the top right hand corner? Click on that, and the URL for that post will appear.

I was very excited to discover this the other day. I need to get out more.

Paul

I only have 12 such marks and of those I have been able to track I have privately enquired of all whether there was a problem, a misunderstanding or a mis-hit key.  Only one has ever replied and that was to correct a mis-hit.  It's not something which worries me but we can at least ask now that we can see who has rated which posts.

Now back to the 101 storyline.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the pictures of the two green production versions (with whiskers and SYP), it is clear that Bachmann has done a better job with reproducing the aluminium colour of the window surrounds than one the pre-production versions. However, I'm not sure whether in these liveries at least it makes the window height error more or less noticeable. I'm inclined to the view that it improves the look of the top of the windows but accentuates the error at the bottom. Perhaps Bachmann should have painted the raised rib the aluminium colour to make the windows look deeper? Whatever, it's not so off that I will not buy one and I suspect the plain blue version will look better anyway as there's no lining.

In case anyone is interested, the Green SYP version is M51179/M56337 Shrewsbury/Aberystwyth and the BR Blue one is E51427/E56380 Newcastle/Hexham.

I've still got an MTK one to finish :O

I've got one as well (and a Cravens). Could never get the cast ends to stick to the aluminium bodyshell for more than about a week.

I put a "funny" icon on Chris's post but I also agree!

MTK kits did take rather a lot of work to get them to go together and then stay together! I used to roughen the aluminium ends a bit then put heaps of epoxy glue (Araldite) and try to hold it all together until the glue set. This sometimes took more than one attempt, plus a bit of blue language to help things along.

DEMU Showcase yesterday I had the chance to put side by side the Lima & Bachmann blue & grey 101 , Now colours and depth of grey to one side the main thing that struck me was how heavy looking the painted Bachmann window frames looked agianst the almost dainty Lima finish...the window depths i would say were almost alike..... the better under frame on the Bachmann one made me think of seeing if the lima body will fit the Bachmann chassis.

• RMweb Gold

Loved the green one with BR "whiskers".Coupling between the cars using the same system as Blue Pullman.Now on the boat.apparently. A handsome thing,indeed.Bachmann a presence at DEMU,eager to show their stuff...and talk about it. Missed S.K.and the Hornby stand....so sad. Nice show.

David Ford has posted some good photos of green Met-Cams with straight lining.  This lining style would show whether the Bachmann model really lines up.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-1st-june/page-8&do=findComment&comment=1469211

Having seen the photos of green ones on MREMag, the cab front windows look too low compared to the bodylights.  The straight lining style on green (see David Ford photos) would show whether or not things line up properly.

Did Bachmann laser scan a real one? I hope they didn't look at the rather less than accurate Cheona book.

• RMweb Premium

David Ford has posted some good photos of green Met-Cams with straight lining.  This lining style would show whether the Bachmann model really lines up.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-1st-june/page-8&do=findComment&comment=1469211

Having seen the photos of green ones on MREMag, the cab front windows look too low compared to the bodylights.  The straight lining style on green (see David Ford photos) would show whether or not things line up properly.

Did Bachmann laser scan a real one? I hope they didn't look at the rather less than accurate Cheona book.

I agree with you on the straight lining. If the windows are wrong, perhaps Bachmann won't produce it!

As to scanning, I understood Bachmann scaled up its N gauge version and that is apparently correct. So it seems more likely to be a error at the tool making stage of the OO model that wasn't picked up by Bachmann when they checked the first shots.

I've had one of the first blue/grey review samples over the course of the weekend and it's noteworthy as it's variation on the images I've previously shown on the blue/grey model.

The model features Driving Motor Brake Second E51217 and Driving Trailer Second (Lavatory) E54364 as allocated to Norwich in the late 1980s toward the end of its life. It's important to bear in mind there are variations within the corporate blue/grey livery dependent on which works carried out any refurbishment and/or livery work. As numbered and from that era the livery as applied is marginally incorrect with a large double arrow and a grey panel with white lining which extends below the line of the door bump stops - an image showing the unit numbered is here https://flic.kr/p/im5FW2 whereas the livery is correct for a differently numbered Norwich unit as shown here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/dmu/h924A67B#h924a67b - we're only talking a millimetre or so difference in the positioning of the lower edge of the grey but as I said earlier its important to look at specific liveries when considering any window placement issues. In truth I don't personally find anything offensive in any window positions, it certainly looks like a MetCamm and it runs beautifully around my test oval and pointwork. The decoration standard is superb and there's an awful lot of great detail particularly low down on the model and on the roof areas.

I'd certainly have one but bear in mind not all blue/grey examples are the same and it would be a simple renumbering to get a number/livery match for this model.

101aS.jpg

101bS.jpg

101cS.jpg

101dS.jpg

101hS.jpg

Metcam1s.jpg

I'm glad Bachmann have made this alteration to the grey band and it was the only sticking point for me.  To me, this looks like a 101, I'm now happy with the execution of this particular livery and my money's ready to go!  

I've had one of the first blue/grey review samples over the course of the weekend and it's noteworthy as it's variation on the images I've previously shown on the blue/grey model.

The model features Driving Motor Brake Second E51217 and Driving Trailer Second (Lavatory) E54364 as allocated to Norwich in the late 1980s toward the end of its life. It's important to bear in mind there are variations within the corporate blue/grey livery dependent on which works carried out any refurbishment and/or livery work. As numbered and from that era the livery as applied is marginally incorrect with a large double arrow and a grey panel with white lining which extends below the line of the door bump stops - an image showing the unit numbered is here https://flic.kr/p/im5FW2 whereas the livery is correct for a differently numbered Norwich unit as shown here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/dmu/h924A67B#h924a67b - we're only talking a millimetre or so difference in the positioning of the lower edge of the grey but as I said earlier its important to look at specific liveries when considering any window placement issues. In truth I don't personally find anything offensive in any window positions, it certainly looks like a MetCamm and it runs beautifully around my test oval and pointwork. The decoration standard is superb and there's an awful lot of great detail particularly low down on the model and on the roof areas.

I'd certainly have one but bear in mind not all blue/grey examples are the same and it would be a simple renumbering to get a number/livery match for this model.

attachicon.gif101aS.jpg

attachicon.gif101bS.jpg

attachicon.gif101cS.jpg

attachicon.gif101dS.jpg

attachicon.gif101hS.jpg

attachicon.gifMetcam1s.jpg

But does it have sprung buffers?

The images haven't convinced me.  The bottom of the door droplights seem to be in line with the bottom of the glazed area of the bodylights (which should be lower than the droplights) and the top of the cab end windows looks to be lower than the top of the bodylights. I think the lined green one will be the test of the latter issue.  Have a look at this one:

6198032207_5c369c7580_o.jpgE50148_Carlisle by robertcwp, on Flickr

Archived