Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

I have to have my thinking cap on all the time wondering what coach to produce next and so I am well versed in wondering what folk would buy. Leaving aside personal preferences, which I doubt Hornby would produce anyway, if I were sat round Hornby projects table I would be scubbling the Brighton Belle Unit as a dead loss and be floating a Southern S15 4-6-0. Cashing in on the 'Star' popularity, there would be a 'Saint' with straight or curved cab frames. The 'Royal Scot' chassis would acquire a parallel boiler body with Fowler or Stanier Tenders. LNER followers will already be catered for with an A4 style P2 Mikado. Carriage-wise, I'd be revisiting the LNER Gresley corridor stock with an improved tumblehome (as on the non-corridor stock), moulded handles and cheaper moulded bogies. The coaches would be end door stock including some Opens. I'm told there are some Mk.I's that folk need so I would be looking at those. GWR enthusiasts would be getting a trio of 1923-28 Bow ended 57ft corridor coaches.

I have become rather tired of Hornby announcements that they will deliver followed by announcements of postponements and cancellations.  I would like to see them produce some of the models promised in recent years which have either not appeared at all or have appeared and disappeared very rapidly because they did not make enough of them.

Anyway, assuming that Hornby do go for some new items, here are my thoughts.

Looking at some of the results of the 2013 poll (I was a member of the team that put the poll together), the top D&E items were:

Swindon Cross-country DMU (if anyone does this, my guess is it would be Bachmann)

Class 71

Class 74

Class 90

Class 87

If Hornby do a new D&E model, my guess is the 90 or 71.

The top steam items were:

BR Standard 3MT 2-6-0

BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0

LNER K1 2-6-0

LSWR Adams Radial 4-4-2T

LSWR/SR S15 4-6-0

I would not be surprised if Hornby go for one of these, and my guess would be one of the Southern types.  Bachmann may well do one or more of the top three.

For passenger coaching stock the poll top five were:

Mark I BSO (I believe Bachmann have no interest in spite of it coming top in the stock poll)

GWR Churchward Toplight stock

LMS Period III push/pull set

Mark 2d air-con stock (remember, the poll was after Bachmann had announced Mark 2f stock)

Mark 3a/b loco-hauled stock

LMS Period III non-gangwayed stock was some way down the list, which might put off a potential manufacturer, although the push/pull stock polled highly and is essentially the same stock.

I'm far from convinced that Hornby will do any new coaching stock, but would happily be proved wrong.  More Mark I types might follow by I doubt we shall see them imminently. I believe Simon Kohler has been made aware of the potential for the FO and RB, which are the only Mark I types other than the BSO not yet covered by recent 00 models (Mainline did an RB 30+ years ago and Replica an FO 20+ years ago) of which more than 100 were built.

For non-passenger coaching stock, the top five were:

SR 6-wheel milk tanker

Mark I TPO stowage van (POT)

SR gangwayed bogie luggage van

BR Mark I CCT

LMS TPO carriages

Of these, if I recall correctly the POT and CCT are covered by commissions in the pipeline.  The 50th anniversary of Churchill's funeral in 2015 might spur Hornby to do a new SR gangwayed bogie van.

For freight stock, the top pollers were:

SECR 'dance hall' brake van

1960s freighliner containers

SR cattle wagon

LNER 20t brake van

FFA/FGA Freightliner flats

Of these, I would most like to see 1960s Freightliners but think it more likely that these would come from Bachmann if anyone.  Hornby might do an SECR brake van or SR cattle wagon.

The highest-polling item of all in 2013 was a working steam-era level crossing.

I would like to see Hornby do some new liveries or variants of existing models.  The biggest example for me would be to do the Thompson non-gangwayed stock in BR maroon.  however, I'm not even sure that Hornby understand the difference between crimson and maroon liveries.  A 2 Bil in blue or green with yellow panels would be popular with SR modellers.

I vaguely recall a suggestion that 'Design Clever' had been dropped.  I hope it has been dropped as I think it rather backfired on Hornby.  Too many compromises on quality, such as moulded smokebox darts, will severely undermine their reputation and ultimately put people off buying their models. 

I vaguely recall a suggestion that 'Design Clever' had been dropped.  I hope it has been dropped as I think it rather backfired on Hornby.  Too many compromises on quality, such as moulded smokebox darts, will severely undermine their reputation and ultimately put people off buying their models. 

The phrase has been dropped not the concept. Rising wage costs in China will restrict the number of additional parts fitted. Even Bachmann are doing that but didn't advertise the fact.

A brightly coloured 7 plank open with 2014 on the side!!!    :sungum:

Sorry I know very unoriginal but someone was surely going to go there. Thought we'd get it out of the way early on. There is probably going to be another thirty pages in this thread so we might as well settle in and have a laugh along the way.

G.

Fifth Quarter 2014.

The phrase......... (Clever Design).............. has been dropped not the concept. Rising wage costs in China will restrict the number of additional parts fitted. Even Bachmann are doing that but didn't advertise the fact.

Not at all true. Bachmann is using moulded handrails where wire would be impossible (front of GCR Tender for example), but they have daylight behind them This is at the opposite end of the bar to using the old Triang concept. Bachmann have not to my knowledge used moulded smokebox darts in recent years.

• RMweb Premium

My wish list for Hornby is fairly simple, I hope they sort out their manufacturing problems during 2014 and then produce some superb models. Design Clever worked for some locos, was a disaster for others. Let's call it what it was...cost cutting. On that basis if and only if they did do a 47xx (which has been top of my wish list for years) I would not want Hornby to do it unless it was..

A) Well and truly research so that all is as it should be.

B) It is good old fashioned 'Super detail' whereby all the rails, darts, lubricators knobs, levers and wheels etc. are separate fittings.

That to me would indicate that Hornby were definitely on the mend.

So merry Xmas Simon Kohler and an even better new year and if you are reading this start planning that 47xx now.

Not at all true. Bachmann is using moulded handrails where wire would be impossible (front of GCR Tender for example), but they have daylight behind them This is at the opposite end of the bar to using the old Triang concept. Bachmann have not to my knowledge used moulded smokebox darts in recent years.

I was under the impression that some of the recent Diesels had moulded rather than separate handrails.

If we aim at Scotland for an idea how about an 0-6-0 tank engine. as used on the Dornoch branch in the late 50s ? ;)

Given anything announced now won't hit the shops until 2015, maybe this would be better in the Hornby International range ;)

Not much of a prediction but I guess I am hoping for some (mostly) modern era models (still a young chap, so I've seen mostly diesels and electrics)....

Locomotives:

Class 87
Class 90
Class 92
Class 59
GWR King Class
LNER K1
LNER V2

Coaches:
Mk.2D
Mk.3A
Mk.3B
Mk.1 (more variants)

Wagons:
TDA 100T tank

Re-liveries:
Class 43 in FGW HP livery
Class 67 in Royal train livery, EWS and Chiltern Railways
Class 31 in Network Rail and Intercity
Class 50 in Loadhaul
Mk.1 coaches in SR green, BR Blue/Grey, WCRC maroon
Class 47 and 37 in WCRC maroon.

I may have a long wishlist, but I just hope Hornby can iron out their issues ASAP and wish them all the very best. And I also hope they start categorizing their models properly. Update most of their stock with NEM couplings. Confine what should be to the Railroad range and clearly divide the toy train market from the model market.

• RMweb Premium

It's Hornby, so they have big engine syndrome, and there's not that many left to do:-

Unrebuilt Merchant Navy.

47xx

Gresley V2 in both railroad (priced to under cut Bachmann) and main ranges, although it will not be immediately obvious why one is £30 more than the other!

Industrial steam loco as outside bet, building on the good reception for the Diesel Sentinel

LMS suburban stock

NO, please Hornby don't do a V2 - we need one that is better than Bachmann's, not comparable quality!

If a K1 will be produced to B1 and B17 standards (yes OK with similar price) I'd welcome it. If not please also leave well alone and let Bachmann do it on the lines of their K3.

I'll stick my neck out an say an unrebuilt MN may be in the offing, as it will cost less to tool than another new model, and is high on the list of desired. That said with the model now in the farish range, it is probably on Bachmann's to do list as well.

the LNER 20t Brake van will be an obvious, given Hornby have the BR version, and might have tooled it with LNER diagram in mind (maybe).

I'd also suggest we may possibly get a steam industrial - they've dipped their toe in the water with the sentinel, which seems to be a relatively high quality model, but smiple and reasonably priced. The will have an idea of the market and be able to apply a similar process to steam... maybe.

Possibly a Mk3 coach upgrade - again fairly simple models that lend themselves to moulded detail (due to there not being much of it) but need close coupling. Will help sales of the Class 43. Then again, the scale length tooling is not that old so doubtless has much life in it.

I really don't want to offer any more guesses.

I do want to see a clear cut statement of what are premium models and what are not (rather than joint railroad/main range models) and a full return to brass bearings on their premium locos.

NO, please Hornby don't do a V2 - we need one that is better than Bachmann's, not comparable quality!

If a K1 will be produced to B1 and B17 standards (yes OK with similar price) I'd welcome it. If not please also leave well alone and let Bachmann do it on the lines of their K3.

I agree completely

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If Hornby can survive, they may find

In the year 3535

Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything is in a container, and on the way
Just gotta wait

In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
Everything's designed clever,
No added details, Nobody's gonna look at your layout too

In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you, a bespoke 3D printed Hornby V2

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your hologram layout too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

In the year 7510
If God's a-coming, He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
"Guess it's time for the scale smokebox dart too"

In the year 8510

God is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say, "I'm pleased where Hornby has been"
Or close it down, and start again

In the year 9595

I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing

Now it's been ten thousand years, man has cried a billion tears
For what, Hornby never made, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday, the Tri-ang Jinty and Playcraft shyte !!!

• RMweb Premium

IMO the biggest gap in the current r-t-r ranges for the Transition and Blue periods is a high density first generation DMU.  I can't see Hornby doing a new model, but they might re-motor the old Lima 117. 

• RMweb Gold

Might as well have a shot as well then!

GWR wise a new 14xx/58xx with new Autocoach to go with it.  Looking at the parts bin a new Manor could be feasible.  A new 'B' Set or the Toplights mentioned previously.

The SR S15 and LNER B12 would no doubt be popular.

For LMS fans refresh the Black 5 and 8F and make them more readily available.  LMS non-corridor stock.

An industrial steam locomotive would fit the bill nicely.

Diesel wise possibly a Class 156.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

How about a decent catalogue that describes the model, motor etc. and a bit of history about the model being made, oh and some decent photography that represents what we can expect.

Archived