Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

• RMweb Premium

. A turn for the books would be 67029 in EWS three beastie...  

They've already done 67029 (albeit the ex-Lima moulding) with three beasties as a train pack with the Manager's train and DVT. Still available from some stockists.

Now if they did 67029 in DB silver, that's a different proposition.  (But I wouldn't be happy, especially as I've just ordered the transfers to do it............)

More likely to announce a Royal 67.

Cheers,

Mick

a 'Hush hush' would be nice. and considering the 'one off's' they've done, the duke and 2001, it is possible. I didn't no that hornbys '14 plans were made in '12! slow and steady increase in their range is sensible, considering economic situation. an 0-6-0 sentinel like the LT ones is top of my list. a new king would be typical considering ive just re-wheeled and dcc fitted my recent Hornby king!

The announcements are based on work already done - initial planning, costing, feasibility etc. No point in announcing something until you're sure it is technically feasible - ie the research material is available etc. That takes around 2 years to source, but when it goes quicker, SK has sometimes been able to show the press examples of new items which are nearly ready (the horseboxes, for instance). 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Despite their supply problems I don't think Hornby will slow down their rate of new announcements. There may well be more released under the Railroad range in view of the fact some of their purchasers are feeling the lack of spending power due to pay freezes or cuts in real terms coupled with increasing food and energy bills.

My predictions for next year in terms of new tooling:

"Super Claud" D16 4-4-0

LNER B12 4-6-0 with Railroad and super detail options. Their existing model was first introduced in 1961 although over the years it's received separate handrails, blackened wheels and different motors.

An all-new super detail class 47

A 4-SUB with tooling options to make it as a 4-EPB

The Maunsell 1935 design BCK to appear in its non push-pull condition http://www.bluebellrailway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/6686.HTML

Upgrades:

GWR Dean Goods to have new loco-driven chassis

Class 26 or 27 to reappear in the Railroad range

Reliveries:

LMS Patriot to appear as 45551 Unknown Warrior

The 101 to appear in Network SouthEast livery

Railroad Mk1s to appear in blue/grey and Southern Region green

Gresley and Thompson non-corridors to appear in lined maroon

High-window Maunsells to appear in SR Maunsell livery

Hornby "owe" us another T9, (at least in my book they do).

Narrow cab, watercart tender, Southern black livery. All the research is done. All the major tooling is done. Almost all of the fixed costs have been incurred, only the variable costs of a production run to be carried.

How many unwanted T9s are sitting on the shelves?

PB

• RMweb Gold

The Maunsell 1935 design BCK to appear in its non push-pull condition http://www.bluebellrailway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/6686.HTML

High-window Maunsells to appear in SR Maunsell livery

Yes, the 1935 smooth-sided BCK would be nice.

We have had some high-window stock in olive. The 1938 Southern Suburban set (R2813) included 3 vehicles, and there was a complementary R4378 with three more, the whole making Set 329, which was the Wimbledon Park Excursion set. In the Imperial Airways set we got a high-window BCK in olive.

Quite right Ian,

I was lucky to get the first three coaches from a shop-split set, and I got the other three to make the whole. I don't have many opportunities to run a six-coach set; a King Arthur will master when the chance comes. .

PB

With the P2 and Duke being announced could we see a Railroad and Premium GT3? :declare:

Some other liveries of the Sentinels would be nice too.

Or maybe a model of the SDJR Sentinel! Now that would be good! :locomotive:

Being a S&D modeller any locos or stock like a Johnson 1P or a new 2P would be welcome, but would prefer Bachmann to have a go at these! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I've given up predicting pretty much. I am assuming that the 2013 annual wagon will be cancelled and they won't bother with a 2014 one either.

Wouldn't say no to the old Ivatt 2-6-0 being breathed over and placed in the Railroad range though for thirty to forty quid retail...

Ah the annual Hornby bath tub of froth.

Normally I like to indulge but I'm reluctant to do so this year without straying too far into sarcasm. I wish Hornby well and am confident that they will have some interesting announcements.

Here's a couple of ideas. Hornby have stated that 2014 will be a year of big 'anniversary' announcements for Airfix in terms of the centenary of the beginning of the Great War and the 75th anniversary of the beginning of Second World War.

I don't see a lot of railway tie-ins there.

Someone will do a GWR steam railmotor and possibly even this year. I don't know if this will be Hornby or Bachmann Branch-Line, but whomever does, I sure hope they use those lovely tampo printers that Kader Manufacturing Services used on the Maunsell and LNER teak coaches for the lining.

I'd love Hornby to reissue a Star (in GREAT <arms> WESTERN Collett livery please) with the bogie wheels fixed. One of the other "Knights" would be nice. Surely this isn't too much to ask? This is very plausible but based on the fact that Tintagel was the ONLY GWR-liveried Castle so far based on the new tooling, I feel very much like I am wish-listing and this won't happen.

Oh and Churchward toplight coaches, but that probably won't happen either.

EDIT:

I forgot (and couldn't help myself.) Hornby will announce a GWR Hall as "NEW" for 2014. They might not specify exactly what colour or livery it will carry, but it will have metal cab rails. If it's some sort of "GWR green" there's a good chance I'll think about it.

I like the Hornby Mk1 so I would like to order some green & blue/grey ones please Hornby - oh and a 2nd open would be handy.

Cheers.

P.S. A all new class 156 and the blue/grey VEP would be good too.

Thanks

P.P.S - a green railroad class 26 & 40 please.

Cheers

After following Colin Parks' exquisite scratch built SR/BR 4-SUB EMU construction. Hornby has to come out with the RTR version.  It will be true injustice.   If done as well as the 2-BIL we can accept the compromises of a sort of clever design. The 1941 Bulleid version would be wonderful and fit my early childhood memory running through Penge East.

Also, like Peter Bedding I would love to round out my T-9 stud in accurate North Cornwall Southern Black with 2 examples with narrow splashers and watercart tenders. Unfortunately I think these were Kanda San production and would have to get into the tight Kader production queue. A LSWR 700 would be nice. I would certainly buy and original MN for the shelf provided the cab is not the cut back sport model. My personal pipe dream is a truly 1945-46 original cab West Country to fit my pre-1948 time preference.

I suspect the Adams Radial Tank will wind up as a future Kernow commission to pull the gated stock already making it's way west from Kuantung.

I doubt SR/BR green low window Maunsell's will ever appear as they were Kanda San production like the T-9. I have resorted to stripping and respray. The 1935 BCK in Hornby's SR/BR green version would be nice. Not sure who made the new TO for Hornby this year. If it was not from Kader then there could be a new supplier for Maunsell coaches.

Oh, and early Bulleid coaching stock....if it is not in someone else's pipeline.

Original LNER W1, Coronation and or Silver Jubilee Coach sets, LNER TPO , V2, Q6, J21, J27 GNR Livery Flying Scotsman and bring back A3 Book Law please.

Mortgage application in the post  :jester: :jester: :jester:

Some articulated LNER stock would certainly be nice! :)

Here's a couple of ideas. Hornby have stated that 2014 will be a year of big 'anniversary' announcements for Airfix in terms of the centenary of the beginning of the Great War and the 75th anniversary of the beginning of Second World War.

I don't see a lot of railway tie-ins there.

The Dean Goods has already been suggested as ready for upgrading, some of them saw service overseas in WWI, though not until later in the war,

would that be a possibility?

cheers

• RMweb Gold

IMO the biggest gap in the current r-t-r ranges for the Transition and Blue periods is a high density first generation DMU.  I can't see Hornby doing a new model, but they might re-motor the old Lima 117. 

This comes up regularly but IIRC (due to the absence of tools) a Railroad release would be impossible.  A new one would be nice but it looks like Derby suburban units (and Pressed Steel for that matter) are the Macbeth* of the model railway world :whistle:

* i.e. must never be mentioned :jester:

Archived