Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

late arrival of Dec Container deliveries. 

wrong kind of cash flow announcement.

ongoing supply chain tool migration issues.

profits warming in January.

S15, Lord Nelson, Original MN.

King, Saint, 

Claughton, Fowler 7F Dunalistair, Caledonian 0-6-0.

K2 

Blue Train - as in Glasgow Electrics.

I suggested the W1 to that nice Mr Kohler a few years ago, but I think the fact it lacked a name didn't make it an appealing prospect. Anyway I hope it does appear. In its favour it lasted 20+ years in streamlined form and carried a good number of liveries in that time (unlike the P2s or 71000).

Other than that: GWR Saint, SR S15, SR Original MN (oh yeah, like that's ever going to happen), NER?LNER Q6 0-8-0, GWR Toplight coaches, more LMS Stanier stock, more LNER Gresley corridor stock, SR Maunsell Restaurant Car.

• RMweb Premium

This may look more like a Christmas wish list 20?? rather than a prediction for 2014 but who knows what goes through the minds and research of the powers that be?

New builds of classes that aren't preserved could form a set as we had a few years ago with the Pete Waterman series.

Two immediately come to mind (seeing that the thread began in GWR mode):  the 47xx nearing completion at Didcot and the Grange at Llangollen - a new model of this class wouldn't go amiss and may be in the pipeline.  I don't know about other regions but their new builds could form part of an inclusive Big Four set (including BR areas of course)

Maybe they haven't quite got the prestige of Tornado but for some of our layouts they are key components.

May all your Hornby wishes predictions come true.

Polly

Edit typo

• RMweb Gold

I see a few people mention the big ED in a class 71/74 and I don't care who produces one but to me a class 74 is very much sort after ready to run as is a new version class 117 dmu.

Time to fill the SR diesel/electric era me thinks.

richard

And 74s appeared at Acton Richard so good to go on your OOC!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ah - a bit of thinking suggest no more GWR for the time being, including I suspect no coaches.  A bit more thinking suggests big engines (Hornby like big engines) and the latest in 'build-to-budget' simplified tooling = an original Merchant Navy (although I'm not sure which cab etc variant) plus it could be done in blue and SK reputedly likes blue engines.  For the left field I take the 'simplified, build-to-lower-budget' idea to its extreme and go for an LMS 'turbomotive' - no outside motion, lots of nicely one piece mouldable shapes and so on, and it's big  (and if a P2 will sell to people who've never seen or heard of one why shouldn't a nice shiny red turbomotive?).  The outside runner is an LNER Q6 or B16.

I wonder about another SR emu in view of the perceived success of the 2 BIL but I'm not entirely sure on that one.  We might see some other coaches as 'design clever' does suit coach body manufacture quite well and it could be LMS non-gangwayed stock (because I can't really think of anything else); the left field might be a tavern car to go with the MN.

As far as NPCCS and wagons are concerned I suspect there will be some 'traditional' type vehicles as the ones they've got to market this year seem to have sold quite well.  So my best bet is a BR CCT and some sort of ordinary van plus possibly an LMS freight brakevan.

Edit to add PS - no radical move away from 00 this coming year so no N unless it appears later under the Arnold banner.  Potentially a major shockwave announcement for 2015 in a bid to establish a clear field in a different market.

• RMweb Gold

One thing I am hoping for is some BR Gresley Teaks to go with my 'Rare Bird' pack.

I reckon an GWR King, LMS Princess (well a few are kitbashing or scratchbuilding them on here, so sods law is on its way) and an industrial steam loco.

LMS Suburban coaches of some sort.

D&E will be a top of the line sprinter DMU.

I'd have thought a GWR King would be on its way in the not too distant future.

A B12 would also make a fair bit of sense to match the suburbans, though we already have B1s, L1s and B17s.

If anyone is going to do an S15, I think it would be Hornby due to the similarities with the King Arthur, but I don't think it will be this year.

An original MN has potential for the design clever format, but I hope Hornby don't try to go down the split quality route again.

Coaching-wise, if a MN comes, perhaps some Bulleids too. I think Bachmann's old models are very good for their age I can see Hornby doing a fantastic job on them. Hornby's reputation when it come to coaches still seems to be in tact so I'd quite like to see them attempt this.

More likely, I feel, would be LMS suburbans as they follow on nicely from the LNER equivalents, and both main manufacturers produce several appropriate locomotives for them. A further couple of Mk1 variants will also likely follow.

• RMweb Gold

Friday, Southampton Water, 18:30 hrs....

A very large container vessel majestically glides up past Calshot, and heads towards the QE2 bulidings.....

On board (again), one 20' container, marked Hornby, Margate, UK....

2 x 40' containers, marked Froth Dispersant, RM web, UK. Note:- To be opened after Monday, 16th December, 2013

It's all true, I tell ye....

Ian

Id echo calls for something North Eastern - got to be the least likely surprise on this thread.... :mail: - but as much as Id like to see a Q6, J21, B16 I think Hornby will again duck the pregrouping areas.

So, my thoughts are;

Steam;

K1 - Its not all bad news for NE region, and wider Eastern areas. This is likely after the O1, B1 have made big results and been in high demand. Especially the latter Thompson machine. If they were to be daring, then the B16 sounds more like the Hornby idea. Big, freight and more widely travelled.

S15 - I think this is likey to go with the spread of engines. The Streamlined Merchant Navy original could be instead.

I think they will annouce two, rather than three in the hope of clearing backlogs and also possibly holding an announcement back to see if things go on track and then can annouce another later, for some good PR work, as Bachamann have done. Still, could be wrong on that front too.

Diesel,

Not much left save class 59. Could be possible but then I think the 156 is more likely. Bachmann are to do the 158, Realtrack the 144 which now sets the standard.

Hornby do have scope for plenty of reliveries - which will be popular and fly off the shelves. Time for a DB Red class 60, a Colas and DCR class 56 (although these should have been announced last year!). If they have any sense they will save 56312 as Jeramiah Dixon till next year and do a 56 like 56303 first to create demand for the up to date 56, but like I said this plan is a year late already. A further 31 in Network Rail, would be good, but you can bet on more Limby 66s being announced. A turn for the books would be 67029 in EWS three beastie...  

Electric

Class 90. It could be the 71, to go with the Southern theme and transition. Will they do an EMU? I think if they will it will be a surprise and be a modern machine to match Bachmanns Desiro (again Hornby playing catch up...). Class 321 for use down south, Yorkshire and Scotland anyone?

Coaching Stock

Hornby still excell here. Some compartment stock for other regions is likely. Midland being the most obvious, but I wouldnt discount GW stock to match the earlier engines like the Star and Castle.

The new Mk. 1 will feature more varients and more liveries as the big two go head to head on this...

Hornby really should go for the Mk. 3. that would consolidate their position with the HST. Will that be a step too much?

Wagons

To be honest, Im not thinking there might be a great deal here, backlogs and all. The collecters will still get some privately owned wagons. The obvious is the NE 21T hopper, and on the modern scene the mineral box wagons being used by DCR to go with the 56.

So... thats my guess and predictions. Not long to wait to find out how wrong I am! :fool:

Wish or prediction ???????

I don't know,but I would really like a S15!!!!

or two.

Surely there has to be a medium to large southern loco announced. Nothing new on that front for a few years now. What was the last Schools, N15??

G.

• RMweb Premium

The Castle with 3500 gallon tender with garter crest, ditto a 1922 condition Star, it would save me back dating the Lode Star livery.

Some 1922 livered coaching stock. I think the pigs will be flying before I see any of this.

Some properly produced Southern EMU's for the nostalgia kick.

SS

A brightly coloured 7 plank open with 2014 on the side!!!    :sungum:

Sorry I know very unoriginal but someone was surely going to go there. Thought we'd get it out of the way early on. There is probably going to be another thirty pages in this thread so we might as well settle in and have a laugh along the way.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I'd go along with those predicting a K1, given that Hornby already have many of the components to hand already.

On coaches, I have always seen Hornby as the leaders with a superb range, and Bachmann tagging along behind. But in their 2014-15 programme announced in March Bachmann rather cleared up with their announcement of GWR Autocoach, SECR/SR Birdcage coaches, LMS Inspection Saloon, LNER Thompson stock and BR Mk 2Fs including the DBSO.

In addition they have the SR CCT/PMV announced in March 2012, and the models they are doing for Invicta Model Rail including the BR CCT.

After all these, 2 other types of coaching stock have been discussed in these columns and wish lists as likely - GWR Toplights and LMS suburban stock. I expect Hornby might well announce both these, so Bachmann don't clear up again.

John

Surely anything announced soon would be for 2015-16?

They need to concentrate on getting the supply chain right, and ensuring consistency of the products they sell before anymore stuff is announced.

Why? Sales palnning/product development are totally different discplines to production/supply chain management. Failure to announce new pipeline would lead to a massive loss in confdence. Furthermore, announcing new products has no impact whatsoever on current producion/fixing the current (well known) supply chain issues. 

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as the original (slightly premature) thread was locked I'll go for a brief recap.

I wondered if the Sentinel shunter might not be a one off and that other industrial or even light railway prototypes might come under the spotlight. I could see the design clever philosophy spread as I believe the majority of modellers will be happy with a reasonable specification at a reasonable price; need only to look at the Hatchette frenzy for evidence of this. I also wondered if there might be the possibility of kits released in the Aifix range which would complement the railway models.

Turning to specifics I see a K1 is a popular choice; I had heard a rumour that it was on Bachmann's to do list. I could see how it would be a better fit with the unsung everyday heroes which Bachmann seem to be willing to tackle. I get the idea that Hornby's natural prey are the more glamorous  or, in the case of the aforementioned Sentinel, colourful prototypes. Hornby have in the past been keen to look at pre group prototypes which have lasted into BR days; with the political focus this next year being on Scotland I wonder if something like this gorgeous Caledonian piece of engineering art might be on the cards. Taking a look south of the border how about a J21, again allowing a range of liveries from peacock to humdrum. It could be that Hornby continue to mop up Southern Railway constituent prototypes, SECR P perhaps? Looking at the GWR it seems as though there's very little left to do; the metro tanks were pretty engines and would make possible one of the very similar Brecon and Merthyr tanks. Diesels; are they any left to do? All I could think of would be the prototype HST but it's a bit too much of a one off or my perennial suggestion of the Ruston 88DS.

That is all.

• RMweb Premium

Why? Sales palnning/product development are totally different discplines to production/supply chain management. Failure to announce new pipeline would lead to a massive loss in confdence. Furthermore, announcing new products has no impact whatsoever on current producion/fixing the current (well known) supply chain issues. 

But it does give us something to look forward to however long the wait.

Edit - And, presumably, aids your own future planning.

a 'Hush hush' would be nice. and considering the 'one off's' they've done, the duke and 2001, it is possible. I didn't no that hornbys '14 plans were made in '12! slow and steady increase in their range is sensible, considering economic situation. an 0-6-0 sentinel like the LT ones is top of my list. a new king would be typical considering ive just re-wheeled and dcc fitted my recent Hornby king!

Archived