Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

• RMweb Gold

Here's a couple of ideas. Hornby have stated that 2014 will be a year of big 'anniversary' announcements for Airfix in terms of the centenary of the beginning of the Great War and the 75th anniversary of the beginning of Second World War.

I don't see a lot of railway tie-ins there.

Oh, I don't know, a bit of re-liverying and we could have an "1939 EvacueesTrain Pack". Not sure if they have anything suitable for a 1914 Troop Train to the south coast ports, although no doubt the SECR borrowed a lot of stuff and there would have been through workings. My grandfather went from the port through to Warrington in an Ambulance Train when he was wounded. 

They will announce some locos, some coaches and some wagons........

An unrebuilt Merchant Navy seems plausible as it would lend itself to simple assembly. The B12 is big, green, preserved and the current model is over 50 years old..... 

A long shot for another loco might be a new Class 73 - I know Dapol have announced it but they have their own production/delay problems at the moment. If Hornby are confident of getting it out within 12 months they might reckon Dapol could be forced to drop their own project.

A Bugatti -nose P2 for "Q4 2014" is plausible - 2001 is clearly close to release . This would bulk out the programme while leaving 2 models as little more than new body shells and giving scope for simplification of assembly work.

On the coach front , extension of the Railroad Mk1 range would make sense. Hornby had an RMB in the old 1960s Mk1 range , so an RB or RMB is plausible (hopefully the RB) and an FO or BSO might also have some mileage

Some proper suburban non-gangwayed LMS stock - perhaps the panelled Period 1 variety for added differentiation from Dapol's ex Airtfix coaches - is possible , though I suspect it may have to wait another year 

Wagons/NPCCS are more difficult to predict . LNER horsebox? LMS or LNER cattle wagon? Thompson BZ 6 wheel van??

• RMweb Gold

Don't reckon on any Western releases from Hornby for a year or two....

Overheard at Margate....

"Bl^^dy western modellers! Who do they think they are? We've given them extra spokes on that Star Thingy, and at no extra cost to boot, and they still complain!....."

Now, where's that taxi?

How about an N7 0-6-2T to go with those nice LNER non-corridor coaches? I'd be quite happy just to see some of the varieties of Class 31, Schools or Castle class that haven't appeared yet, but some kind of high-density 1st generation DMU would be good, or just the old Lima 94xx pannier tank with an upgraded Railroad chassis. And a Peckett industrial saddle-tank. And....

Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton, Claughton and just one more vote for a Claughton please.

Oh, I don't know, a bit of re-liverying and we could have an "1939 EvacueesTrain Pack". Not sure if they have anything suitable for a 1914 Troop Train to the south coast ports, although no doubt the SECR borrowed a lot of stuff and there would have been through workings. My grandfather went from the port through to Warrington in an Ambulance Train when he was wounded. 

Bit soon I think for ambulance trains. Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain were in 1940.

The British Expeditionary Force was shipped to France / Belgium after the outbreak of the war in September 1939. A troop train is a possibility but I don't think it varies much from the existing Southern Railway services at the time.

I guess the evacuation of children began close to the beginning of the war so that would fit.

Always fun to read these!

I manage to call what Bachmann has done 40% of the time. Hornby has always manage to out-fox me.

My predictions are

new dean goods

New 14xx and trailer

S15

New wagons.

but I can't see them doing any new carriages (auto excepted) at the moment.

A long shot for another loco might be a new Class 73 - I know Dapol have announced it but they have their own production/delay problems at the moment. If Hornby are confident of getting it out within 12 months they might reckon Dapol could be forced to drop their own project.

I would like to think this could happen, if they could upgrade it to the quality of there 60 they would be on to a winner.

Graham.

late arrival of Dec Container deliveries. 

wrong kind of cash flow announcement.

ongoing supply chain tool migration issues.

profits warming in January.

S15, Lord Nelson, Original MN.

King, Saint, 

Claughton, Fowler 7F Dunalistair, Caledonian 0-6-0.

K2 

Blue Train - as in Glasgow Electrics.

I'd add a D16 or similar attractive LNER 4-4-0 and add that any of the other in the list would make sense to me as being announced preferences if not actually predicted for '4th quarter 2014' or '2nd quarter 2015'...

Who could resist a King to the standard of the Star, or an original MN better than the WC/BB? Maybe Hornby thinks it already has front running on these models, since it currently has available tooling for tenders... like the dual-filler 4,000 gal. Collett (for a re-tooled King). The MN would be much more tricky in respect of tooling however, the subtle variations were many. But imagine one with Pullmans or other Southern Region stock! For that matter, a King with Hawksworths and Toplights... or the new BR Mk1s... THEN Hornby would have made a statement

That said, and as I keep saying, I just want Hornby to return to profitability and excellent models. And my boy-like prejudice is for the fast passenger trains, obviously.

Rob

It would be best if everyone does not assume that Hornby has access to any tooling for models over 2 years old.  The dynamics of manufacturing in China are complex. Just because they had a model with a certain tender 5 years ago does not mean they have access to the tooling to recreate that tender now.  I would not bet they have easy access to anything that was made by Kanda San.  The machines that fit the tooling may not be available.  The dies may be in the possession by Kader or some bankruptcy court.

Unless Hornby was able to get their tooling relocated outside the Kader/Kanda San model making complex and adapt it to the production facilities of another manufacturer they may have no ability to reproduce any past production.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if they have anything suitable for a 1914 Troop Train to the south coast ports, although no doubt the SECR borrowed a lot of stuff and there would have been through workings. My grandfather went from the port through to Warrington in an Ambulance Train when he was wounded. 

My grandfather travelled by special train from Birmingham Snow Hill GWR to Winchester LSWR, then on to the Isle of Sheppey SECR when he joined up. He went over to France in early 1915. He was wounded on 9th May 1915 at Aubers Ridge. He was taken by train to Le Harve then ship to Southampton LSWR and train to Warrington LNWR via Birmingham Snow Hill. Whatever the stock was there were probably some strange combinations of locos and carriages.

Bit soon I think for ambulance trains. Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain were in 1940.

The British Expeditionary Force was shipped to France / Belgium after the outbreak of the war in September 1939. A troop train is a possibility but I don't think it varies much from the existing Southern Railway services at the time.

I guess the evacuation of children began close to the beginning of the war so that would fit.

Ambulance Train L&YR 1915  http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Horwich&objid=1997-7059_HOR_F_1555

Ambulance Trains in France 1914-1918 http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/39.html

Not a clue really. I do believe they will wait at least a couple of years before hitting us with the streamlined P2 though. So we have time to lobby for a totally fictitious BR green version. Hopefully the tank engine stream will continue. The coaches, well LMS non-corridors look to me to have been going begging as subjects for ages.

Whatever is or isn't in the 2014 programme will have been decided in 2012, if not earlier, when things looked very different, so don't go basing your thoughts on 'Now' - that'll happen in the 2016 programme.

If that's the case what were Bachmann /Dapol announcing/ releasing around then? May give some clues!

Mark

It would be best if everyone does not assume that Hornby has access to any tooling for models over 2 years old.  The dynamics of manufacturing in China are complex. Just because they had a model with a certain tender 5 years ago does not mean they have access to the tooling to recreate that tender now.  I would not bet they have easy access to anything that was made by Kanda San.  The machines that fit the tooling may not be available.  The dies may be in the possession by Kader or some bankruptcy court.

Unless Hornby was able to get their tooling relocated outside the Kader/Kanda San model making complex and adapt it to the production facilities of another manufacturer they may have no ability to reproduce any past production.

I think there could be an element of truth in this as I remember the delay to the B17 was due to a new supplier being used to manufacture this model and as they were in financial difficulties Hornby went to and took the tooling away and went to Sanda Kan and asked them to produce but as the other company used completely different techniques Sanda Kan could not use the tooling and had to do a brand new tooling and hence the huge delay. This to me means new models are even more likely to appear as Hornby can get these from new factories and not get caught up in the delays at Sanda Kan but this could also explain the delays from older models as other factories may not be able to easily use the Sanda Kan tooling as suggested above.

They've already done 67029 (albeit the ex-Lima moulding) with three beasties as a train pack with the Manager's train and DVT. Still available from some stockists.

Now if they did 67029 in DB silver, that's a different proposition.  (But I wouldn't be happy, especially as I've just ordered the transfers to do it............)

More likely to announce a Royal 67.

Cheers,

Mick

Sorry but Im one (of the probably few people) that thinks the new Hornby 67 is a significant improvement. If they want sales then the silver EWS beastie engine looks better and is more attractive. It would spur people to buy the replacement over the one they have. I think many would ignore it in the current DB livery as its the EWS that a lot think looks much better and would like to model...

My reference was to the current tender on the new Star, which would suit a King I think. It seems to perplex some that older tooling hasn't been used for new models e.g. the P2 and various LNER tenders, in other words I agree with you.

I still think there needs to be more growth in the Railroad range. The Mk1s are very nice, but there's only a limited number of locos available to pull them at a price affordable to the younger (or less financially solvent) modellers - only the Deltic and the 31 (why does the 31 cost £10 more than the Deltic?) in the diesel range, and the Duke and A4 in the (higher-priced) steam range. Even then the rail blue of the diesels is really too late for the maroon coaches and the garter blue A4 is of course too early. Given the vast historic legacy of models that have been predecessors of the Hornby range (Triang, Airfix/Mainline/Dapol and Lima), there must surely be a lot more that could be re-released. A BR black Jinty at least ought to be possible, given that there's a red one in one of the sets!

When I compare what's available in the Railroad range now with what was within reach of even a few weeks' pocket money when I was growing up, the selection is pretty poor.

Again, not saying there shouldn't be the top-of-the range superdetail models - there's room in the hobby for them, just as there is for the wonderful live steam models my colleagues at RSME drive round the park, but there needs to be a meaningful entry-level range too.

• RMweb Premium

I would personally like to see a GW 47xx or King to current standards, not design clever. I think a good proposition for Hornby would be to release 1 loco from eah of the big 4 each year. There wouldn't be any shouts of bias then. Realistically though, I only see a raft of reliveries until they sort out there current supply issues.

Archived