Trent Valley Show - 2014

Northpoint

'Peforia Narrows' now on the dining table so I can practice switching after all this time!  A couple of teething problems at first due to dirty contacts after storage but (with fingers, arms and legs firmly crossed) it is working.  Just hope this is still the case at 10.00am Saturday!

Sadly, life the universe and everything has conspired against me again this year. Was hoping to run up early on Saturday but alas it is not to be. Perhaps next year. <insert profanity of choice here>

As I'm a complete noob regarding exhibiting, does anyone have a list of "essentials" that they bring to exhibitions, so I can do the same?

I don't want to turn up on the day and be scuppered because I didn't think to bring something!

• RMweb Gold

Dont forget the layout!

I tend to get everthing ready into one pile in the living room plus layout in the garage.

Then I load the night before so that I still have time to remember anything I may have forgotten.

I have done a list in the past but kept forgetting to check the list :scratchhead:

As I'm a complete noob regarding exhibiting, does anyone have a list of "essentials" that they bring to exhibitions, so I can do the same?

I don't want to turn up on the day and be scuppered because I didn't think to bring something!

I agree with Roundhouse, but then he is a professional and has a good team to support him.

If someone wrote a definitive book on exhibiting they'd probably sell many copies, as long as you can convince those who believe they are doing things right or whose only involvement is to lean on the barriers and pick faults before going home to their UK equivalent of Chipboard Central.

At your stage, I'd be taking the layout for a ride in a car to bounce it around and see what comes loose, and getting a comprehensive toolbox and scenery kit together so if you have to make any repairs in a hurry then at least you're using what you're familiar with instead of borrowing from others.

One thing that has always bothered me is having a spare controller, it was easier in the DC days or at larger shows when you could always buy one, and as much as I need a second Powercab, don't really want to get stuck or have to buy one in a hurry. Outright DCC control failures are rare, but I have seen them happen to others (my only failure has been a broken wire in a cable connection).

• RMweb Gold

I had one of my Digitrax command stations fail at a show a few weeks after I picked up a 2nd hand one - that was very lucky.

These days I have a back up DCC pack which also doubles as the test track system.

Certainly bring a tool box and what ever glue that you use to stick things down such as the foliage as some is bound to come loose the first time or two out.

Some carpet to stand on. You will be glad of it when the show ends!

steve

Hahaha, second DCC controller! Good one!

These days not a bad idea. I've still got my original Digitrax Big Boy gubbins from 1995. If I have a failure of the main command station, I can with about 5 minutes of patching, get things running with the second booster and a DT200. Even something like a Hornby Elite or Select would make a decent fall back system. A couple of Selects on flea-bay for under £50 at the moment. A small price to pay to keep a layout running at an exhibition.

addendum: as Steve has just said something to stand on. Carpet works but I plumped for a set of these: http://www.tooled-up.com/product/floor-cushion-anti-fatigue-matting-6-pieces-600x600mm/146397/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CNylh-qJ774CFasKwwod9QQAlw keep your eye out as Maplin has had them in the past for around £12 on sale.

I had planned to stop overnight nearby and have a relaxed Saturday morning set up with South 6th Street, alas I'm working in Scotland this week so it'll be a crack of dawn set off from home on Saturday instead, hopefully I'll be there and set up by 10...

I had planned to stop overnight nearby and have a relaxed Saturday morning set up with South 6th Street, alas I'm working in Scotland this week so it'll be a crack of dawn set off from home on Saturday instead, hopefully I'll be there and set up by 10...

We'll make sure the coffee maker is switched on and waiting for you! :)

Dear Dan,

A collapsible card table is both expected and mandatory at shows here in Aust. Staging table, workbench, coffee-platform, collection point for scrufolous materials, pen/notepad/graphite-stick/kebab-skewer/fave screwdriver/PECO track rubber holder, just a darn handy thing to have, fits under the layout at "display height", and packs into a 730x730x30 "flat" for transportation.

If someone wrote a definitive book on exhibiting...

Funnily enough I've been asked if such a tome exists previously and recently,
including info on layout design and build wisdom targetted specifically for "hardcore show/touring layouts"... anybody up for writing something?

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

A spare handset is handy,like Ian said ,load up day before,i load up in the same order every time, that way if i forget something there's a gap,i have check lists taped to the top of my boxes,this helps me remember things(usually),most importent thing to remember is, bring your own mug!!

I'm booked into the village pub,hope there's some good beer on!!!!(semi-professional drinker!!)

Ray

Nothing to do with DanielBs question - does anyone have about 30 of the PECO SL14 track pins? and if so could they please bring them to TVNAM? I have successfully managed to misplace the little tin that mine are in, and can't find them ANYWHERE! so I went into Inverness to get some this afternoon and they only have those horrible Hornby-type short fat ones - I need the longer thin ones - I am making an add-on extention piece to the track on "The Fiddlestick Switch Job" (aka ChicagHO Fork) to make it available as a 5:3:3 or a 3:2:2 Inglenook - If any of you can help it would be highly appreciated

By the way - that is 30 of the pins - not 30 packets of them!!!

Funnily enough I've been asked if such a tome exists previously and recently,

including info on layout design and build wisdom targetted specifically for "hardcore show/touring layouts"... anybody up for writing something?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Can I write the bit about layout height please....?

• RMweb Gold

Anybody fancy some of this?

attachicon.gifprize.jpg

If so, buy some raffle tickets on Saturday!!!!

Model is Bachmann HO ES44C with sound very kindly donated by Model Junction of Slough.

We saw these new Bachmann locos in a hobby store recently almost alongside the MTH ones. They looked a close call to me with the Bachmann one being significantly cheaper even with sound.

Ian

Nothing to do with DanielBs question - does anyone have about 30 of the PECO SL14 track pins? and if so could they please bring them to TVNAM? I have successfully managed to misplace the little tin that mine are in, and can't find them ANYWHERE! so I went into Inverness to get some this afternoon and they only have those horrible Hornby-type short fat ones - I need the longer thin ones - I am making an add-on extention piece to the track on "The Fiddlestick Switch Job" (aka ChicagHO Fork) to make it available as a 5:3:3 or a 3:2:2 Inglenook - If any of you can help it would be highly appreciated

By the way - that is 30 of the pins - not 30 packets of them!!!

Jack,

Just put my box of them in with the stock for Saturday.

steve

Archived