RMweb Live - 13/14 September - Ricoh Stadium, Coventry

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

As well as a large dose of hormones and minor surgery with a pair of rusty scissors.

Hormones are expensive, a couple of falsies and some superglue should do the trick. :whistle:  If he has a hairy chest it might cause a few problems removing them afterwards. :wacko:

Fancy a walk around the venue?

I've just noticed that the more recent version of Google Maps includes a streetview inside the Jaguar Hall (and the entrance corridor etc) - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview?hl=en#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-1.497162!3d52.448886!2m2!1f227.15!2f78.11!4f75!2m11!1e1!2m5!1spaiVf0twFSwAAAQJOOhYow!2e0!7e2!9m1!6sJonathan+Hagen%2C+Turning+Heads+Photography!5m3!1spaiVf0twFSwAAAQJOOhYow!2e0!3e2&fid=5

This is the area I was planning on running around stripped naked if Hornby ever announce they're doing toplight coaches.

That's probably a very good reason why they don't and shouldn't ever do them. :O

G.

• RMweb Gold

As far as dates go no problem for me as you have not booked this over the Ryder Cup and I am more than happy to make a choice if there are multiple shows on the same weekend.

No idea what your budget is, but how about having some layouts shown how we actually have them. e.g. a shed layout. Have 2 or 3 sides of the shed in place and show how the layout fits along with showing how to insulate the shed, water proofing, where the beer fridge goes, etc. Thinking along the lines of how a few layouts at Pecorama are shown, so maybe also a small bedroom given todays modern houses all have an 8*7 box room. If you do break the show up in to themed areas there could be an "Ideal Home Layout" area as the space we have is always less than some of the grand layouts we see.

Also I do agree with various posts that talk about technology, and think an area which brings this together would be good.

A demo of a laser cutter would be very helpful as well (Unravelled [Dave] of this parish has done some superb laser cut details for my "refurbished boozer" and I have been continuously impressed by what Dave can do with the laser cutter. it is a bit of gear that deserves wider employment in the hobby. Not cheap, but not impossibly expensive either, certainly within the means of many clubs and individuals.

Another bit of gear worth demonstrating at the RMWeb event is the 3D printer. Getting better and cheaper with every generation, like the laser cutter, the 3D printer is certainly within the means of clubs and individuals, possibly more so than a laser printer.

Together, this equipment offers many exciting opportunities (I'm thinking 3D printed buildings with laser cut details). I know that there are many modellers inextricably wedded to the techniques of yore, but offering new technologies is, I think, a way to get younger individuals involved. I wonder if any laser cutter and 3D Printer manufacturer/supplier would be interested in attending and giving demos (if there aren't any RMWebbers who can bring their gear and demonstrate...)

I like the idea of a demo of, shall we say, computer-aided modelling, if only to dispel a few myths etc.  It's also possibly an avenue to scale modelling that the "Playstation" generation will find more accessible and attractive than the hand-crafted approach (and I say this as someone who is in awe of some of the hand-crafted models shown on this forum).

However, why not run the two in parallel - have a demo where two teams produce a model (say a locomotive, item of rolling stock or a building) using both approaches - one team using CAD, RP and Laser Cutting, with the other team starting with sheets of styrene, brass and a bunch of hand tools etc etc).  Obviously the prototype would have to be carefully chosen, but maybe it would be an interesting comparison.  Even, with a carefully chosen prototype, it could be a 3-way session - scratchbuilding, computer-aided, and RTR-conversion/rebuilding.

Just an idea....  and I speak as someone who has produced models using all 3 approaches, but is having a lot of fun exploring the computer-aided approach at the moment.

Cheers

Alastair

Just an idea....  and I speak as someone who has produced models using all 3 approaches, but is having a lot of fun exploring the computer-aided approach at the moment.

I like this idea a lot, but I think for a fair trial it ought to compare the approaches to making lineside buildings rather than rolling stock... if it were to use a 'tabletop' consumer 3D printer... getting a good result with a locomotive subject might be tricky in the time, but a building could work well.

....so maybe also a small bedroom given todays modern houses all have an 8*7 box room.

Hi Steve,

A small group of us are already looking at something(s) to fit in an 8x7 box room whilst keeping the space available for its primary purpose. Further assistance may be welcomed, depending on how the show's management view our proposal. Let us know your location and what you would like to put in and we'll take it from there.

Gruff

• RMweb Premium

It appears that by the good fortune of a nephew becoming hitched to his good lady a few days beforehand that I shall be in the Old Country on the dates in question.

You've seen the work (or if you haven't you can click the links below ;) ) so how can I be of assistance and support?  Not possible to transport 35 metres of permanent layout around the world I'm afraid but there's more than one string to this bow.

It is indeed unfortunate that BCB cannot be there in person, as it were.  A possible substitute might be a set of photos on display boards. It is, after all, one of RMweb's finest achievements.

Now shall I go to ExpoEM North on Saturday and RMweb Live on Sunday or the other way round?  Decisions, decisions ... 

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Well the rostering gods have been most kind and seen fit to grant me this particular weekend in September off. Of course it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact I write the roster........nothing at all..........

Tom. 

Well the rostering gods have been most kind and seen fit to grant me this particular weekend in September off. Of course it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact I write the roster........nothing at all..........

Tom.

In the interests of fairness, surely people should take it in turns to write the roster. Of course someone would need to write a roster of whose turn it is to write the roster, but they could take turns to do that....  ;-)

I really enjoyed the rmweb events in the past so would definately look forward to this. I'd have to go by public transport but found my way to the stafford event so hopefully this wont be too hard to find.

I think a members second hand stall would be a good idea, I'll start saving up now!!!!

• RMweb Premium

It is indeed unfortunate that BCB cannot be there in person, as it were.  A possible substitute might be a set of photos on display boards. It is, after all, one of RMweb's finest achievements.

Now shall I go to ExpoEM North on Saturday and RMweb Live on Sunday or the other way round?  Decisions, decisions ... 

Chris

BCB Will be at the Stafford Exhibition in four weeks time and it will be great to see all the old Stafford members as part of this years exhibition.

Terry

To make the show a bit different, how about rather than just some demonstrations, have a sort of lecture series through the day?

I was thinking about university open days, where each course has a half hour slot that repeats through the day, so you have 3 or 4 chances to go to a talk you are interested in.

Things like beginners guide to 3D printing, the basics of DCC sound, starting with weathering etc.

More like the ideal home show where you go to a stage and someone demonstrates using big screens and practical hands on stuff.

It would make a change from the usual awkward 'approach a guy at a table who looks like they are concentrating on a fiddly bit of brass folding and feel a bit bad interrupting him to ask a question.'

David

Archived