class 89001 avocet.

porkie

Good evening,

Im struggling to find Information on what coaching stock this loco ran with in intercity swollow livery.

And the formations it ran.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by porkie

• RMweb Premium

Yes as SGJ says , although I primarily remember it on Raspberry Ripple (Inter city Mk1s) . I think it did commuter services to Peterborough

Remember GNER did restore it to service in their blue livery. Presumably for use on MkIV sets?

She was also used on Monday to Friday King's Cross - Peterborough evening commuter runs, occasionally the West Highland Green & Cream set was used in winter.

As always, search for photographs and you can't go wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Named Avocet at Sandy, the HQ of the RSPB (an Avocet is the RSPB's logo) by Margaret Thatcher, who promptly left to return to London by car !

Says it all.

Sorry back on topic..

saw it at least 3 times a week now b*ggered if I can remember what she was on !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There were a couple of Mk2e sets used for KGX-Peterborough commuter turns (and occasional weeked tuens to Leeds and York) - these were mainly ex FOs refurbished with airline-type seating. 89001 was a regular on these turns along with a handful of ECML-dedicated 90s and the odd 91.

Thw West Highland set spent winter at Bounds Green and was part of the Charter fleet which didn't stop it getting used at weekends or in the peaks if neccessary.

The early days of electrification on the ECML were fascinating in terms of the variety of stock used and the sheet detirmination of Intercity to run as many electrics as possible. One bank holiday weekend, we even had a brand-new 91 hauling a rake of blue/grey Mk1s to Doncaster and a pair of 321s borrowed from the Great Eastern. Happy days!

• Like 2

the photos posted above suggest HST sets as they seem to have a TGS in them.

Either a spare set with a generator car to provide the correct Electrical Train Supply (ETS), or HST rake with a 'surrogate DVT' to provide the ETS.

A surrogate DVT, was a HST power car that had been modified to become a DVT with the engines idling to provide the ETS for the train, however that was found to be problematic for the engines, so the engine control systems were altered to provide ETS and traction power. The result was rather good acceleration. :)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bagged it for haulage from Wakefield Westgate to Leeds and seem to remember that it was a Mk 4 set but can#t remember what was on the back.  i do know that it accelerated uphill out of Wakefield better than anything else.

Jamie

I bagged it for haulage from Wakefield Westgate to Leeds and seem to remember that it was a Mk 4 set but can#t remember what was on the back.  i do know that it accelerated uphill out of Wakefield better than anything else.

Jamie

If it was in GNER livery most likely a normal mk4 set would have been used ( normal 82/2 DVT )

SGJ

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I remember reading about a test run somewhere on either Shap or Beattock where it was coupled up behind a supposedly stalled 12 coach train plus loco while still having its own long test train atatched and apparently it just walked away with both trains up the hill without a trace of a slip. 

Jamie

• Like 3

So why did BR opt for the 91 instead then? Or not have both?

The 89 has a maximum speed of 125mph, the 91s had a design speed of 140mph.

Also the 91s were express passenger/parcels only whereas the 89 was much more along the mixed traffic lines of the 87/2 (as designed). The continuous HP of the 91s is about 6100 but only 6300 max whereas the 89 was 5850hp cont and about 7800hp max. Finally the 89 was putting that HP through 6 axles rather than the 4 or the 91.  Therefore at lower speeds the 89 should out perform a 91; but then under about  60mph an HST can out acceletete a 91+ Mk4