Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

• RMweb Gold

Well I put an order in direct from Hornby and cancelled my Hattons order yesterday, Hattons shipment turns up today so I tried to cancel the Hornby and go back, but you can't cancel a Hornby order it would seem. Oh well.

Surely you could send either back under the Distance Selling Regs?  It doesn't have to be faulty.

• RMweb Gold

The first of my two has just been delivered, all I can say is wow. What a wee little loco it is (especially when sat next to a Grange) and so heavy for it's size. I'm utterly astounded by it.

Hats off to Hornby for producing such a mini-marvel and their to on-line shop for getting it here so quickly.

Off to give it some exercise...

• Like 3

i hear it has twin flywheel to! good to see a diecast body so no need for traction tyres! decoder socket in tender with room for sound speaker and pick ups on tender wheels as well as drive wheels, sprung buffers, cab detail etc you get an awful lot for your money! 

• RMweb Gold

The first of my two has just been delivered, all I can say is wow. What a wee little loco it is (especially when sat next to a Grange) and so heavy for it's size. I'm utterly astounded by it.

Hats off to Hornby for producing such a mini-marvel and their to on-line shop for getting it here so quickly.

Off to give it some exercise...

So now you know what all the fuss is about.Glad you are impressed. Who wouldn't be ?

i hear it has twin flywheel to! good to see a diecast body so no need for traction tyres! decoder socket in tender with room for sound speaker and pick ups on tender wheels as well as drive wheels, sprung buffers, cab detail etc you get an awful lot for your money! 

I have  posted  pics  higher  up on  this   thread  showing the inside,  fiting a decoder  is  a  5 minute  job, the  tender  space  is  a  bit  tight for a speaker  but  managable, ( I have not fitted  sound to  this one)  post   #186

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

So now you know what all the fuss is about.Glad you are impressed. Who wouldn't be ?

Absolutely, runs amazingly well too. 

A few shots, taken before the sun set...

post-7000-0-23838300-1424193124_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-97519900-1424193141_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-56024400-1424193158_thumb.jpg

Next to a Grange that I'm renaming for a size comparison..

post-7000-0-17636500-1424193179_thumb.jpg

Put a J15 next to a Watercart tender from a T9 and then you'l realise how small this loco is ;)

• Like 15

Simplify the wiring? To what advantage?

A DCC socket doesn't make it any worse for analogue use.

Keith

Habit of mine I'm afraid, I have absolutely no use for DCC frivolities. As I will be stripping the tender down anyway, and in this case sorting out an pickups on some wheels, I'll probably do it anyway. If I have to add extra, or replace any, pickups then it will get done. I notice from below that the tender appears to have pickups on all wheels, but one side is completely dead, along with a poorly adjusted one on one loco wheel.

Stewart

Just finished adding DCC and Zimo Sound to the first of my three, all of which finally arrived today.  Sounds good.

For the technically minded, I used a 28mm 4ohm round speaker to the recess provided in the tender, replaced the weight on top and then added a Zimo MX645 decoder together with a Zimo SC68 Super-Capacitor for the stay-alive.

There is a video now on You Tube for anyone who wants a look/listen although I really MUST apologise for the loud 'tripod-creaking' sound, which doesn't exactly help......when I have a few minutes spare I will sort that out and re-shoot it. But for now it does give some idea of what is possible. Note the detail bits have not yet been added to the loco as it is due for re-numbering, weathering, etc, in due course.

The video is at http://youtu.be/x558LoVD310

FOR SOME REASON - this link doesn't seem to work properly for me, but If you type the link directly into your browser - it does (does for me anyway).

Two more to go......

Edited by orford
  • Like 2

Very impressed with the model.

After a few running laps of the layout, I "failed" the L1 on the eight coach Thompson non-vestibule excursion set and substituted the J15, which hauled with ease. I'll have to try it on the "East Anglian" set, to see if it can repeat the events of 2nd September 1948 when 65448, the Chelmsford pilot, had to replace the failed express loco on the up express!

Needs a well detailed crew on the footplate, the addition of rails at the front of the tender to support a tarpaulin, bit of weathering - I note the comment about the hand rail knobs along the boiler, but it's not an issue for me.

Paul 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was looking to possibly buy one of these once the "reviews" started to appear.

However...

Model Railways Direct had them on pre-order available 21/02/15 a few days ago, yesterday they were "Sold Out" today they are "Discontinued" (both R3230, and R 3232!)

How can they be discontinued when they were only released in the last seven days or so? What's going on?

This seems to be happening more and more with both Bachmann and Hornby. If you aren't prepared to pre-order and take pot luck that what coming is good or bad - Tough.

MRD are going to lose my once regular custom.

Keith

EDIT I know both Hattons and Hornby still have stock.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I was looking to possibly buy one of these once the "reviews" started to appear.

However...

Model Railways Direct had them on pre-order available 21/02/15 a few days ago, yesterday they were "Sold Out" today they are "Discontinued" (both R3230, and R 3232!)

How can they be discontinued when they were only released in the last seven days or so? What's going on?

This seems to be happening more and more with both Bachmann and Hornby. If you aren't prepared to pre-order and take pot luck that what coming is good or bad - Tough.

Keith

According to their website Rails only got part of their allocation, so you can still pre-order from them - they say they are due the rest in March

HTH

Mal

Which one was it - maybe a sale to a bloke in NY?

It's the LNER version, but I only have one on its way as I cancelled the Hattons order. Hornby one shipped yesterday.

• Like 1

I suppose this means I'm now going to be inundated with questions like "is that a Hornby model?" NO!!!!!!, and "How did you convert it to EM?" "I didn't, I built it that way!!!!!!!"   :nono:

post-5925-0-28480400-1424255134_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-13152400-1424255135_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 10