Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I recall that one - woke me up when it happened in the small hours of Saturday morning. I didn't hear the bangs, but awoke to the sound of a loco losing its air. I assumed it was an engineering train on site, ditto when I heard the Crompton still idling later in the night. We lived very close to the bridge where the SER line crosses the LBSCR line to Horsham, so nocturnal train noises were commonplace. At about 9.30, my mate knocked on the door to tell me the news! I think there were one or two others in the same era. 

Edit - You, Andrew, would know Deepdene Vale, of course. We lived right at the bottom. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I recall that one - woke me up when it happened in the small hours of Saturday morning. I didn't hear the bangs, but awoke to the sound of a loco losing its air. I assumed it was an engineering train on site, ditto when I heard the Crompton still idling later in the night. We lived very close to the bridge where the SER line crosses the LBSCR line to Horsham, so nocturnal train noises were commonplace. At about 9.30, my mate knocked on the door to tell me the news! I think there were one or two others in the same era. 

Edit - You, Andrew, would know Deepdene Vale, of course. We lived right at the bottom. 

Know that area of Dorks quite well. Did Motorcycle training at your old school just up the road. Always liked the Art Deco Box at Dorking. The Station area there has changed so much though since I was around in the 70s.

P

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2020 at 12:24, brushman47544 said:

Must be P4? Bit of a mess there methinks. Bogie Ballasts broke at bridgesite, as you know who would have suggested, CJ.

I could probably reproduce such an incident in future, but not on such a smart bridge.

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

poker face

unnamed.jpg.4a009fefede5eb469f42b7b4f91dcf41.jpg

well, it's been a while

Poke her face? Nah.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Know that area of Dorks quite well. Did Motorcycle training at your old school just up the road. Always liked the Art Deco Box at Dorking. The Station area there has changed so much though since I was around in the 70s.

P

Anent the box, did I tell you about the colleague who was SM there in the mid-70s? He was a bit disappointed to find the levers were rather rusty, so he forked out on some wire wool for the signalmen to use to bull them up a bit. Worked a treat, which was more than could be said for the fragments of wire which fell through the frame into the electrical locking, and took some time and a lot of S&T effort to clean out.....

• Like 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Anent the box, did I tell you about the colleague who was SM there in the mid-70s? He was a bit disappointed to find the levers were rather rusty, so he forked out on some wire wool for the signalmen to use to bull them up a bit. Worked a treat, which was more than could be said for the fragments of wire which fell through the frame into the electrical locking, and took some time and a lot of S&T effort to clean out.....

Was it one of those lovely small lever Pneumatic type frame? Think Horsham was? Loved the railway between Leatherhead and Horsham and then down to Bognor. Seemed a proper railway back in the 70s and 80s and even in the 90s; quite old fashioned in a good way.

P

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A much better route, to and from the 'Smoke ' from Horsham, than Three Bridges, despite it only being hourly. I only used the Three Bridges route if I had just missed the Dorking.

Three Bridges route was (is?)  OK once west of Creepy Crawley. The Brighton was OK south of T as well; I quite liked Haywards Heath 

P

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

We had family friends about half way down. Too long ago to remember who though. Will have passed your house plenty of times then, walking along the stream and across the fields to the watermill and on the old road to Brockham Lane. Saved the bus fare for extra pocket money.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

We had family friends about half way down. Too long ago to remember who though. Will have passed your house plenty of times then, walking along the stream and across the fields to the watermill and on the old road to Brockham Lane. Saved the bus fare for extra pocket money.

30 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

When I lived in Betchworth (adjoining the Barley Mow) I would sometimes do that in fair weather, to and from skool.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Three Bridges route was (is?)  OK once west of Creepy Crawley. The Brighton was OK south of T as well; I quite liked Haywards Heath 

P

You must be referring to the Arun Valley line ( Christs Hospital, Pulborough, Amberley, Barnham) which is still my local access route. It was until bout three years ago still semaphore signalled, but has now gone the way of all good things. I do hope the Bluebell got their mitts on some of the gear that was displaced.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A much better route, to and from the 'Smoke ' from Horsham, than Three Bridges, despite it only being hourly. I only used the Three Bridges route if I had just missed the Dorking.

Indeed it was, being fast from Horsham to Dorking, then Sutton and fast to Vic. Cors and Bufs, then CEPs and BEPs. Lovely trains in their heyday. One stopping service in the morning, 08.37 from Horsham. calling all to Dorking, Epsom, Vic. And in the evening the 1700 Vic to Littlehampton called Sutton, Dorking and all to the coast. Best of all was the 17.28 Vic to Bognor, fast from Vic to Dorking, then Horsham and skip stops. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed it was, being fast from Horsham to Dorking, then Sutton and fast to Vic. Cors and Bufs, then CEPs and BEPs. Lovely trains in their heyday. One stopping service in the morning, 08.37 from Horsham. calling all to Dorking, Epsom, Vic. And in the evening the 1700 Vic to Littlehampton called Sutton, Dorking and all to the coast. Best of all was the 17.28 Vic to Bognor, fast from Vic to Dorking, then Horsham and skip stops. 

So different from today's sorry service - the trains on the Dorking route stop at just about every halt on the line and terminate at Horsham. They were until recently home to the oldest stock on the SR (barring IoW).

Now the only way to get to Horsham, and Billingshurst, my local station, is from VIC 2x an hour. If you want to come down from the 'Bridge there's one direct service each way, otherwise it's change to/ from the Thameslink, which strangely arrives at three Bridges just in time to watch the tail lights of the Arun Valley train heading south!

Mind you, Southern's decision to cancel all off per BTN - VIC services for the next 36/12 is causing panic attacks throughout Brighton, so I suppose we can't complain.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Must be P4? Bit of a mess there methinks. Bogie Ballasts broke at bridgesite, as you know who would have suggested, CJ.

I could probably reproduce such an incident in future, but not on such a smart bridge.

Poke her face? Nah.

P

:jester:

VCM_009.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Just for you, El Phillipo

All done for effect; not that many of these 'modern' drivers know how to get the best out of spams. Two of the tins should have breezed that bank despite it being notorious.  I suspect Braunton was holding off as much as it actually could and doesn't look 'taxed' as it appears.

Good noise though, try getting that on yer sound chip and out of yer tweeter thingy.

Slog and slag, up the drag.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Nobody warned Mrs Jones at number 42. She had only gone and hung her washing out earlier on. It is now covered in smuts.

Is that the fat woman who insists on sunbathing topless in the garden? Serves her right. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is that the fat woman who insists on sunbathing topless in the garden? Serves her right. 

Hi Ian

I wouldn't know, that is not the sort of thing I would notice when viewing the urban scene outside the window of a train. Far too interested in taking in the architecture of each different building and wondering if the lady in the house with the green back door has left her bedroom curtains open and is wandering around naked like she normally does. All in the interest of modelling such a row of houses.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Nobody warned Mrs Jones at number 42. She had only gone and hung her washing out earlier on. It is now covered in smuts.

Them be Student flats so no washing and they would all have been asleep or #######.  The obese female nudist was actually a statue. 

Twelve on fully loaded really required the banker to be working harder than that to avoid a stall, which has happened many time on that bank. I seem to remember there was a weight limit even with Bankers. In steam days, the heaviest passenger train coming up there would probably have been the Brighton from Plymuff; 6CarMK1 Buffet Set + 3car (Bulleid or Mk1), or maybe the Okehampton/Surbiton Car Train (8 Guvs + 3 coaches, fully loaded). Never knowingly saw the latter being banked up there so can't comment but pretty sure the Brighton used to have a pilot (often another Spam, or an N or a Z) and two Zs on the back. However I can't really remember that as it was 1962 the last time I witnessed such activity and made b all notes at the time. What I do remember were the loaded Meldons; always a pilot and two bankers and that was always a sight to behold and also they were all working flat out.

Before anyone tells me to stop havin' a laugh, the variants of the ACE came up in 'parts' and were 'assembled' at Central. Them were the days.

P

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2