SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

SOSJ is back and so are the pretty ladies who appear to have taken the place of those in the ads who have disappeared!:unsure:  Man does not live on trains alone!:o

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Rather glad to see SOSJ back in circulation.

I'm sure two Halls would have flown up that bank.................

Yup. One would have been the pilot and the other would have been the banker; L.Es.  working as far as Up Yard only (not allowed further east, except in dire circumstances). One alone would have stalled before the tunnel.:bomb_mini::diablo_mini::sarcastichand:

Warship would have failed before moving away from St David's.

P

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup. One would have been the pilot and the other would have been the banker; L.Es.  working as far as Up Yard only (not allowed further east, except in dire circumstances). One alone would have stalled before the tunnel.:bomb_mini::diablo_mini::sarcastichand:

Warship would have failed before moving away from St David's.

P

When I was a young trainspotter, why was it if at Paddington it was always a green Warship pulling red coaches but at Waterloo it was a red Warship in front of some green carriages?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When I was a young trainspotter, why was it if at Paddington it was always a green Warship pulling red coaches but at Waterloo it was a red Warship in front of some green carriages?

For the convenience of the geogrpahically-challenged?

Or is it similar to telling the difference between GE electrics - colour-coded.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I never understood why the Western Region was so quick at getting rid of LNWR Crewe livery for Swindon MT kettles then adopted an attempt at an LMS 1930s shade for its diseasels.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I never understood why the Western Region was so quick at getting rid of LNWR Crewe livery for Swindon MT kettles then adopted an attempt at an LMS 1930s shade for its diseasels.

It wasn't a 1930s LMS shade, it was their poor attempt at the glourious Midland Railway Crimson Lake. Thankfully they got it so wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ian

I wouldn't know, that is not the sort of thing I would notice when viewing the urban scene outside the window of a train. Far too interested in taking in the architecture of each different building and wondering if the lady in the house with the green back door has left her bedroom curtains open and is wandering around naked like she normally does. All in the interest of modelling such a row of houses.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Michael Barratt, singing, is not a good substitute for the subject I mentioned. Where are the variations to the basic Victorian terrace houses that  back on to the railway. So rarely modelled as most people just build a row of the standard kit without altering them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It wasn't a 1930s LMS shade, it was their poor attempt at the glourious Midland Railway Crimson Lake. Thankfully they got it so wrong.

I remember Brian Haresnape doing some articles about BR diesel design in Trains Illustrated about 60 years ago. He finished up with drawings of some of his own suggestions for brightening up the fleet including Peaks in Crimson Lake and Apple Green liveries

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't like the sand colour livery on D1000. I only realised the advantage of it about 25 years later when I had a BR office car in the same colour. It didn't need cleaning outside as you couldn't tell the difference between the paint colour and sprayed-on road dirt.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I remember Brian Haresnape doing some articles about BR diesel design in Trains Illustrated about 60 years ago. He finished up with drawings of some of his own suggestions for brightening up the fleet including Peaks in Crimson Lake and Apple Green liveries

I remember sitting near Mutley Tunnel at Plymuff and seeing weird coloured new Westerns emerging into the summer sunshine. I also remember the multicoloured 31s at Liverpool street in 1960. They did brighten Liverpool St up a bit along with the pimped Pilots and, of course, the gleaming Brits....luverly.

P

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Michael Barratt, singing, is not a good substitute for the subject I mentioned. Where are the variations to the basic Victorian terrace houses that  back on to the railway. So rarely modelled as most people just build a row of the standard kit without altering them.

They don’t model the lady with the bedroom curtains open that you mentioned either ! Look forward to seeing that a Sheffield Exchange. 

Victorian houses in general is another can of worms. Like other scenic effects they have to be carefully positioned to really look the part,  but often aren’t.

Years ago I read  an article by an ex - LTSR section steam driver who said on the late shift there was often a long lay over at Fenchurch St so they used to get the signalman to let them park up in a siding on an embankment half a mile down the line where they could look down at some terraced houses where some “working girls “ plied their trade with the curtains open  !  In OO Guage, that might give a whole new meaning to the term “ exhibition layout” 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Years ago I read  an article by an ex - LTSR section steam driver who said on the late shift there was often a long lay over at Fenchurch St so they used to get the signalman to let them park up in a siding on an embankment half a mile down the line where they could look down at some terraced houses where some “working girls “ plied their trade with the curtains open

Encountered that sort of thing several times, especially on the Saturday night shift of signalling commissionings. Not sure if it was an advertising gimmick. One of them used to do 'House Calls' at Bordesley Junction signal box. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Never, ever, ever show Shakin Stevens again.

Diabolical cut price Welsh Elvis.

Hardest working man in Showbiz in the 80s - all those Top 10 singles and LPs, yet nobody with "cred" liked his stuff - all that success based om entertaining Mums, Grans and kids.  Must have been hard work, yet he managed to do it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Hardest working man in Showbiz in the 80s - all those Top 10 singles and LPs, yet nobody with "cred" liked his stuff - all that success based om entertaining Mums, Grans and kids.  Must have been hard work, yet he managed to do it.

…..and I believe he makes a living doing the mundane, such as SAGA Cruise Ships and Holiday Camps for the dispossessed. He won't do Butlins as they help finance the #### Party.

I'm so old I remember the Frankie Vaughn version of Green Door, a singer I once met at Exeter St David's, Platform 1 some years after this release. He did look a bit like a Gangster.

I suggest one doesn't search too hard for information about The Green Door 1972...……. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1