SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

So, you got fed up with tightening up ALL the nuts on your last one then ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Why do people take the mickey out of Reliant Supervan 3s.................. I had one. :nono: :nono:

Oh dear I think I know why........I had one :mosking: :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gents,

As a longtime "Lurker" on N2B, just thought I'd say I used Brooklands Green on my two Unrebuilts, very pleased with the finish and the shade of green, updating the Mallchite Bude , using the 4,500 Gallon tender from Dapol.

I've got some pictures somewhere but have no idea how to post them. Had enough trouble attaching the avatar .

Ashley.

I would have problems 'attaching' that avatar, but that's my age...................................

P

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Ashley. That is very reassuring about the Brooklands. I have heard others saying that it is quite good. Anyway, my trains, my loft etc!

If you can put up with the rather bizarre themes on this thread then good on ya buddy. There is the occasional modelling gem if you look very carefully. Mostly stuff done by other people that, for some strange reason, seem to enjoy doing stuff for the layout. Isn't that wonderful.

So, to modelling.

After another hugely productive session by my CCE, I am feeling quite inspired (pause whilst people take medication to recover from shock). Whilst he did all the work, (preparing the X Over points, including adjusting to a slight curve, calculating the computer programme thingy that tells one where to stick one's pins, adjusting the pins after last time, fitting the track, pinning the track, assessing the track, readjusting pins that I bashed with the 'andle of the 'oover and having to work with badly cut rail ends and wobbly spare sleepers (wot I dun). I managed to help a bit.

Fortunately the CCE didn't admit to noticing that the foam ballast paint was still wet or that the point at the east end of the station wasn't painted. The point at the west end was though and that had dried just in time. He adjusted that one as well to put in a slight curve; that is, adjusting a Pecoboo C75 LR left hand (straight) to a slightly 'reversed' curve version. It had also been 'modifed and wired' this morning by me for frogging and dropping; nice.  We were working on the 'up main' through what will be the station area. Boy, the curves look very nice indeed.

Thank you CCE. I do hope he might feel confident in posting some pics of his work on here as it is excellent. I have learnt a huge amount about the art of laying Pecoboo track and there will be more to come if I behave.

My job now is to join up' the ends' and get this one loop bl**dy well electrificated so that a whole circuit is available and a test train can run....................... :swoon: .

Whilst SWMBO is away next week I shall be doing stuff in the loft, so maybe followers will get some entertainment at last.

For example, will the Stubby Tunnel get fitted? Will the juicers juice? Will I survive the huge amount of cork laying that needs sorting? :D

ATB

Philth.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Y'know, some days things just don't seem right...

post-7025-0-95604100-1464200545.jpg

Good to hear the layout is progressing.  Just make sure the Hungry Caterpillar hasn't turned into a butterfly yet...

Edited by Stubby47

Delighted to hear it's inspired you - within touching distance of that first circuit round :locomotive:

post-16151-0-78015300-1464200627_thumb.jpg

Here we are then at the Exeter end (blimey, I'm even starting to get me 'ead round the geography now!). The trailing crossover in the foreground is the one shown earlier being modified. It formed the 'king pin' of this afternoon's session - once in place then the rest of the work could race along (comparatively speaking!) Beyond is the facing point that will take a London-bound train into the Up platform. From this viewpoint, the gentle right-handed curve can be viewed, eventually transitioning to a straight stretch through the station.

post-16151-0-30757700-1464200654_thumb.jpg

Down t'other end, the curve the other way is more pronounced and has been arranged to take the trains off scene heading in generally the right direction for the off stage 180deg curve to get round to the fiddle yard and country section. The full view of the reverse sweep through the station can be seen from this angle.

post-16151-0-51245500-1464200676_thumb.jpg

And here is the man himself, assisting with alignment checking. If you're not too distracted by the sight of the duck in all his finery, then, to the right of the track, the alignment pins can be seen. The first hour of today's session involved adjusting the position of these according to the slue-ing distance determined by the analysis from the 'pooter. This was based on the initial measurement of alignment, following knocking them into 'first guess' position at the previous visit. Once the pins are in their final position then laying the track up against them couldn't be easier. A roll of the coaches over the laid track will reveal any final 'tweaks' needed to fine tune the alignment.

I believe that the work to complete the circuit consists of positioning one curved point and about one foot of track to connect up with the existing tracks. Looking forward to reports of that first train!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Kindness indeed. I was hoping the CCE would not post the pic of me collapsed/asleep after sniffing the Evostick can shown in the first pic. Sadly he has. Oh well, my duck image is now blown.

Goodnight (Mr Tom?)

Hi Ashley,

When you hit reply you need to look at the bottom right, just below the window where you write your reply. You will see a button marked "reply with attachments"  If you click that you get a dialogue which allows you to attach photos. They have to be re-sized to less than 1mb each before attaching.

Thanks, Colin.

The files are far too large at present, I'll get my head round re-sizing, or take some more pictures with my other half's compact camera. We all have our "niche" in this hobby, I don't struggle with wiring or fitting decoders, but computers are not my strong point.

P.S.  I just have to say "Chapeau" to Mikell for making it into the monthlys with the Honorable Slipper Boy.---------- I lurk on the Farthing Layouts as well.

Ashley.

• RMweb Premium

Kindness indeed. I was hoping the CCE would not post the pic of me collapsed/asleep after sniffing the Evostick can shown in the first pic.

It's ok, I think you're safe - no trains due ... just yet.

Yo, Philth,

Where do you kids get them caps with the peak at the back - I can only find them with the peak at the front?

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Kindness indeed. I was hoping the CCE would not post the pic of me collapsed/asleep after sniffing the Evostick can shown in the first pic. Sadly he has. Oh well, my duck image is now blown.

Goodnight (Mr Tom?)

Yo, Philth,

Where do to kids get them caps with the peak at the back - I can only find them with the peak at the front?

But will the duck wake up in time before the first train comes thundering down the line? :O

We will know in about six or seven years time. :lazy:

• RMweb Premium

Yo, Philth,

Where do to kids get them caps with the peak at the back - I can only find them with the peak at the front?

Dude hat mate. Bought it on fleasblay from a bloke called Toryboy; only £200. Bl**dy snip. Cool.

So, when a train appears it will have to be one hauled by one of those DCC thingy locos with a crisp in it. I have one Spam and an N with said crisps, or a cheapo Mallard. I might sacrifice the A4 (in case of blue smoke electrickery situations) and then we can all laugh about the lack of detail, lamps, crew, as it melts. 

W. Haig.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

But will the duck wake up in time before the first train comes thundering down the line? :O

We will know in about six or seven years time. :lazy:

You are optimistic Morty. Truth be told I was actually listening to the noise through the rails to see if a train was anywhere near, or I might have been cooking my left earhole with DCC volts. Can't remember as it was about 5 hours ago.

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight (Mr Tom?)

Here is those nice Ramone brothers with their advert for Evostick

• RMweb Premium

I should have mentioned ages ago that if anyone has never visited Grantham, the Streamliner Years, in Layouts, then please do so. This is the CCE's (and friends) amazing LNER layout. On that thread there are many  tips and demo's for layout building. Well worth a look and you will be pleased to hear that I rarely post on there so it remains sensible (mostly). It is a truly remarkable demo of how Pecoboo (Code 100) can be made to look very good indeed. The rest of the layout and the stuff that runs on it is something else and as for Barry O's ballasting..................a labour of Hercule Poirot (see what I did there?)

Philthdude.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

might sacrifice the A4

Oh goody, I can send you a PDF of how to build a proper somersetshire wicker man (we may be inbred funkwits but we're up with our tech dud, sorry, dude).

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Not only have you nodded off Ducky but your beak is on the back of your head !!!

Coming together very nicely by the way. Can't wait to see a Bulleid with ten on coming through the station.

Miss A is watching with interest as well........

Rob.

post-14122-0-46989200-1464233389.jpg

post-14122-0-56400800-1464233491.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Colin.

The files are far too large at present, I'll get my head round re-sizing, or take some more pictures with my other half's compact camera. We all have our "niche" in this hobby, I don't struggle with wiring or fitting decoders, but computers are not my strong point.

P.S.  I just have to say "Chapeau" to Mikell for making it into the monthlys with the Honorable Slipper Boy.---------- I lurk on the Farthing Layouts as well.

Ashley.

This could be a little long-winded if you have a large number of images but one simple way of resizing images is to right click on the file and Open With MSPaint.  Then select Resize, reduce it by an appropriate percentage and then Save As a slightly different file name (thereby preserving your original).  Right click on the new file and select Properties to see the file size.

• RMweb Premium

Not only have you nodded off Ducky but your beak is on the back of your head !!!

Coming together very nicely by the way. Can't wait to see a Bulleid with ten on coming through the station.

Miss A is watching with interest as well........

Rob.

I was wondering if people liked my down yard arrangement, Signal Box, Footbridge and down side station building? I am working to some prototype pictures as you can see from that pack in the slippery fish. It is the area just south of my beakless dome and the bottom, right hand corner of the photo.

Personally I think the point ballast needs adjustment and the jiffy style station building roof is not quite straight; what do you think?

Bee Cless.

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if people liked my down yard arrangement, Signal Box, Footbridge and down side station building? I am working to some prototype pictures as you can see from that pack in the slippery fish. It is the area just south of my beakless dome and the bottom, right hand corner of the photo.

Personally I think the point ballast needs adjustment and the jiffy style station building roof is not quite straight; what do you think?

Bee Cless.

Yes (what was the question again please?)

• RMweb Gold

Yes (what was the question again please?)

Ducking the issue he is, look you.

Rob Bach.

• RMweb Premium

Make a note please. This afternoon, 34045 (Rebuilt version) and 7 coaches (really crappy ones, except for the Maunsell Restaurant First wot I almost finished today ..... apart from painting that is) made two circuits of the completed bit without falling off!

OK it wasn't DCC and I had to move the aged Controller (H & M Duette I think it is) and hook it up/unhook it to droppers about ten times, but it worked. :danced:

There are a couple of places where there are IRJs, but I shall rig up some temporary links and then try to work out how to do a movie for you all to view. One part will be the westbound, Incline approach to Stu's Tunnel and the other part should be the run through where the station will be, hopefully showing off the lovely curves sorted almost entirely by the CCE. I say almost as today I had to do the 'links' at both ends of the through station up main, so I did do some curvy bits (about a metre total at most  :mail: )

I have also done some cess on the Incline. It won't need cleaning up though. Corker of a job and I shall take pics of that exciting (not) bit of work.

By the way, I wasn't wearing my dude cap either. :whistle:

Ar$e

• Like 17