SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Finally, was MacAlpine's Viaduct in Scotland the first truly Concrete piece of heavy Civil Engineering? :read:

A. Mixer  

Probably not.  Ten Books on Architecture written by Vitruvius in 25BC has full instructions for concrete making, including underwater setting concrete.  The Pantheon in Rome (126AD, debatable) predates Concrete Bob by some way.

P Dan Tick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Would the Pantheon qualify as civil engineering though?

I know a couple of engineers I could ask, but I'm worried I might get a less-than-civil answer.

It's got a bleedin' great hole in the roof though ain't it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Probably not.  Ten Books on Architecture written by Vitruvius in 25BC has full instructions for concrete making, including underwater setting concrete.  The Pantheon in Rome (126AD, debatable) predates Concrete Bob by some way.

P Dan Tick

Yo Dr G-F

I fought yew is into reading big books about philosophy not bricks and mortar. 

• RMweb Premium

P Dan Tick

I should have said railway uncivil engineering....apologies. However I am intrigued by the Vitruvius (brother of Vesuvius no doubt?) Think I saw something about that underwater setting stuff on the box, but I may have been dreaming of course.

Obtained yet another useful (?) and inexpensive Ivo Peters book today. Plenty of good WOEML pics for me to stare at, some confirming uncertainties about a number of train formations and one excellent pic of the east end Hungry Caterpillar details.

Yo

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of light relief, as the Vicar said to the Actress...

Yeah I agree  a good philosophy read at bedtime does settle you down for the night, but don't you find Nietzsche short on the comedy unlike Parmenides who is a laugh from cover to cover. As for Alain Badiou books they have real cliff hanger endings.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the last few posts, it looks like a sad case of sense has broken out...  :nono:  :jester:

Don't worry, it won't didn't last.

There is little concrete evidence that Exmuff's products were universally adopted but, as Spams has said, the things could appear anywhere.Why not buty something in kit form rather than scratch building yer own stuff?

The LNER had their own drawing for a Bin (see Spam's sensible post about Chipping Bins) and as Mike says, Taunton had a production works as well. However, a First Prize of some Readymix and Second prize of a some semand and scent for those that like a challenge, for the persons(s) that can confirm the Concrete works for the minor and secondary regions (MR and ER).  :sarcastichand:  :whistle:  :blackeye:

I rather like the adoption of Art Nouveau by the Southern Region and some of the Stations and buildings are classic, even quite small examples such as Seaton and Chessington.

This possibly due to the concrete 'craze' of the time?

Finally, was MacAlpine's Viaduct in Scotland the first truly Concrete piece of heavy Civil Engineering? :read:

A. Mixer  

Nice.

Edited by St Enodoc