SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Well, stap me vitals! Mention of a bloke I’ve actually met! I did a volunteering stint at Towyn, just the one, at Easter 1973, and John Bate was among the people I met. I was digging trenches in Pendre Yard - and today ERDF are digging one across my lawn!

Are ERDF paying you for the joy of watching them desecrate your lawn?

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

Are ERDF paying you for the joy of watching them desecrate your lawn?

Tim T

No! I get big benefits in that the ugly power-pole right by my terrasse gets taken out, and in the same works the overflying wires - which don't serve me - disappear, so my remaining trees can do as they like! Some years back a tree grew into those wires and on a windy day caused problems. That tree has gone now, but others are seeking to emulate it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have recently been steadily trawling through the Southern Concrete Nouveau book - whatever its called - good innit - and had the picture of the Hurst Green concrete footbridge in my mind quite firmly.  Last night I was flipping through one of those good little Book Law photo essays, this one of the Newcastle - Carlisle line, and what do I see but a perfect Southern Concrete footbridge, in....North Wylam, in the land of the Geordie.  Que?  100% the same sections, without doubt.  Most odd, I wasn't aware they exported.....

I have recently been steadily trawling through the Southern Concrete Nouveau book - whatever its called - good innit - and had the picture of the Hurst Green concrete footbridge in my mind quite firmly.  Last night I was flipping through one of those good little Book Law photo essays, this one of the Newcastle - Carlisle line, and what do I see but a perfect Southern Concrete footbridge, in....North Wylam, in the land of the Geordie.  Que?  100% the same sections, without doubt.  Most odd, I wasn't aware they exported.....

The mob at Waterloo would do anything if they thought they could turn a profit........

Tim T

I think we have got to the bottom of why 34053 has problems. These three scallywags put a hex on it when the rebuild was still settling down.

attachicon.gife6eWtqUYSPGEo9leXiZLcQ_thumb_1cb2.jpg

This is Waterloo, and the train is a Summer Saturday portion of the ACE. It may be 1959 or 1960, and we are headed for Port Isaac Road. The rebuild happened in mid-1958, so it cannot be before 1959. Ian (I am at the back), Adrian, on the right, and Keith Dudley. As we know, the loco has been preserved, but poor Adrian died in 2016 of a brain tumour. 

Going on holiday to Cornwall and raincoats are to the fore.  Hope the weather was better for everybody.  I wonder how far the BoB went; Salisbury, Exeter?

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Going on holiday to Cornwall and raincoats are to the fore.  Hope the weather was better for everybody.  I wonder how far the BoB went; Salisbury, Exeter?

Brian.

From memory, Brian, locos changed at Salisbury. I would not have been allowed off the train to check, though! But there was still a pacific on the front at Port Isaac Road. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Brian.

Almost certainly Exeter Central. Crew change at Salisbury.

Philth

• RMweb Premium

Great book, yes the concrete products were exported to other regions and crop up in the most unlikely locations.

Thanks.

The only other item I have consciously seen that look 'Southern' are concrete ballast bins now I think about it.  Never noticed a footbridge outside the region though.  Lot of trawling of photos about to begin! 

• RMweb Premium

From memory, Brian, locos changed at Salisbury. I would not have been allowed off the train to check, though! But there was still a pacific on the front at Port Isaac Road. 

That would have been an original Spam Can dear heart (as you know of course). 

Phlange

That would have been an original Spam Can dear heart (as you know of course). 

Phlange

Interesting.  I thought perhaps a T9 but doubtful if these went on at Salisbury, Exeter or Okehampton down seemed their territory.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

The only other item I have consciously seen that look 'Southern' are concrete ballast bins now I think about it.  Never noticed a footbridge outside the region though.  Lot of trawling of photos about to begin!

Concrete fence posts and panels, columns, sign posts etc got everywhere.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

A lot of the 'ballast' (actually chippings for measured shovel packing) bins you see the remnants of are the Taunton product which is a bit different from the Exmouth Jcn version.

Concrete fence posts and panels, columns, sign posts etc got everywhere.

Again some of the fence posts would appear to be a Taunton product as they use standard (G)WR wire spacing as also found on timber posts.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't all the railways, and their regional offspring have their own concrete works producing very similar looking items to each other, but at the same time some distinctive structures. These were to be found all over the ER, NER and ex LNER lines in Scotland. They even appeared on the old MR lines that were transferred to the ER. 

• RMweb Premium

There is little concrete evidence that Exmuff's products were universally adopted but, as Spams has said, the things could appear anywhere.Why not buty something in kit form rather than scratch building yer own stuff?

The LNER had their own drawing for a Bin (see Spam's sensible post about Chipping Bins) and as Mike says, Taunton had a production works as well. However, a First Prize of some Readymix and Second prize of a some semand and scent for those that like a challenge, for the persons(s) that can confirm the Concrete works for the minor and secondary regions (MR and ER).  :sarcastichand:  :whistle:  :blackeye:

I rather like the adoption of Art Nouveau by the Southern Region and some of the Stations and buildings are classic, even quite small examples such as Seaton and Chessington.

This possibly due to the concrete 'craze' of the time?

Finally, was MacAlpine's Viaduct in Scotland the first truly Concrete piece of heavy Civil Engineering? :read:

A. Mixer  

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally, was MacAlpine's Viaduct in Scotland the first truly Concrete piece of heavy Civil Engineering? :read:

A. Mixer  

Shawford Viaduct on the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton outside Winchester was opened 10 years earlier (1891). Borings prior to renovation work established that it was of mass concrete construction and was clad in brickwork, rather than largely brick-built. It is open as a foot and cycle path, now known as Hockley Viaduct.

There is little concrete evidence that Exmuff's products were universally adopted but, as Spams has said, the things could appear anywhere.Why not buty something in kit form rather than scratch building yer own stuff?

The LNER had their own drawing for a Bin (see Spam's sensible post about Chipping Bins) and as Mike says, Taunton had a production works as well. However, a First Prize of some Readymix and Second prize of a some semand and scent for those that like a challenge, for the persons(s) that can confirm the Concrete works for the minor and secondary regions (MR and ER).  :sarcastichand:  :whistle:  :blackeye:

I rather like the adoption of Art Nouveau by the Southern Region and some of the Stations and buildings are classic, even quite small examples such as Seaton and Chessington.

This possibly due to the concrete 'craze' of the time?

A. Mixer

We could be delving into a new jar of worms here. There are probably people with better research than me, but I understand they developed the concrete construction steadily. Our dear old Callington Viaduct was made from pre-cast concrete blocks, but built up the same way as brickwork. I think Uncle Bob was the first to use shuttering and pour it in situ.

Ash.