SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

oi! I resemble that remark.

Just go back upsetting those who think they know better on serious threads. :mosking: :mosking: :mosking:

All I have had today is toast and jam ......soon be lunch.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I know why Tornnostradamus fainted. It had not had it's brekki and a so a bit got stuck because it was tired.

There you go.

Is that a fact based statement or are you making it up? If the latter, why on earth aren't you posting it on the "big LNER thing is bust" thread??

• RMweb Premium

Is that a fact based statement or are you making it up? If the latter, why on earth aren't you posting it on the "big LNER thing is bust" thread??

Yes, I know everything to do with that engine. I made it.

One can not mention bust on that thread unlike on this thread. 

C.C. Bust

See what happens, he goes off and finds a train picture and calls it a greyhound. Can't say I ever seen it running around Walthamstow dog track. :locomotive:

Walthamstow dogs is now a housing estate. Still has the original facade. A pity - was a fun night out!

Always look well proportioned when sat still and graceful on the move. One of my all time favourite loco designs. Beautiful.

A lot of enthusiasts find Victorian locomotives attractive in design, me included, so what was it about this era that produced so many good looking engines?  Most companies had quite a few examples; most were 4-4-0s except for the Singles which were in a class of their own.  Certainly there have been many fine engines since but why did these stand out?  Was it invariably the colourful paint jobs, lots of brass which was usually kept in sparkling condition at a time when labour was cheap and available.  Or was it because their designers had an eye for design, which luxury disappeared with the coming of the money men and cost cutting which dominated the scene in the ensuing years.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

A lot of enthusiasts find Victorian locomotives attractive in design, me included, so what was it about this era that produced so many good looking engines?  Most companies had quite a few examples; most were 4-4-0s except for the Singles which were in a class of their own.  Certainly there have been many fine engines since but why did these stand out?  Was it invariably the colourful paint jobs, lots of brass which was usually kept in sparkling condition at a time when labour was cheap and available.  Or was it because their designers had an eye for design, which luxury disappeared with the coming of the money men and cost cutting which dominated the scene in the ensuing years.

Brian.

Very philosophical here:

I think the Victorian locos had a more slender & graceful appearance as they were not having to deliver large amounts of power - hence, smaller diameter boiler, with a proper chimney and the 4-4-0 wheels look nicely symmetrical. As power requirements increased, the boilers got larger & more wheels were used giving a more 'muscled' appearance, getting towards the 'almost filling the loading gauge' look of the 1930s Pacifics. I still like the Pacifics, mind - they have a massive 'presence' about them, but a T9 is definitely the more graceful.

• Like 1