SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

First time I've had a proper look at your thread, Dr Quack - looks like a great project.

So, when's it due for completion?!

You sure you don't want to do Templecombe, by the way, you could link it at a show to the proposed model of Henstridge that Re6/6 is planning...!

I do like the idea of roundy roundy layouts, but key to that, I think, is ensuring you have one or two really nicely modelled scenic areas with an excellent view at eye level of passing trains.

• RMweb Gold

As long as there are one or two vantage points where you can plonk a stool down, sit ye upon it, and get a jolly good view of passing trains in a lovely scenic setting...

PS. Would you like some photos of Bromsgrove for a scenic backdrop?

No? Thought not.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Bromsgrove....not quite the right topography. However, if with work ye be in the area of the 'Junction', it would be nice, next June, July or August if ye could take some pics of the hill(s) to the west of the station site and the high land to the east of where the branch platform used to be. Also in the area to the north of where the old refuge siding used to be up the incline That would be truly excellent.

I have got some generic shots of similar areas, taken in October when I was down near Colyton on a short holiday, but rather like Rob S's shots you did, there is nothing like having the real place in the background.

Phil

Right, sounds like that's a day out for me and CTMK sorted some time in the Spring!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Seaton in N scale??

Right, whose planning to announce a duplicate of the Duck's layout - surely someone is?  After all duplication is the 'in thing' this year in the world of model railways toy trains  :jester: 

Seaton Junction in N scale??

I am still looking for a suitable location for my 1960's proposed drop in module in place of 'Santa Banbury' although I think Seaton Junction will be too big to do it justice in the space that I have.

EDITED to say Seaton Junction

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seaton in N scale??

Seaton Junction in N scale??

I am still looking for a suitable location for my 1960's proposed drop in module in place of 'Santa Banbury' although I think Seaton Junction will be too big to do it justice in the space that I have.

EDITED to say Seaton Junction

Wellington (Salop) perhaps?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh drat. One is undone. 

OK here  is my excuse  are my excuses.

1. I did actually start building it around May and then decided I wanted to change the loft hole/ladder before I went any further.

2. June: I took down the board supports I had so lovingly installed and put the huge lumps of existing base-board I had inherited, back on the 'ready to use' stack.

3. July: I decide to build my own set of 'lightweight' boards for the main station/yard area according to the gospel of how to build lightweight boards. 

4. August: I made one and a half and then got a stinking virus from which I have only just recovered (well almost).

5. September: The 'loft men' couldn't do the job until November! My mate Geoff Brewin died and I got really low.

6. October: the 'loftmen' told me I needed the latest insulation (previously described on here as making the loft look a bit like the ISS).

7. It was now winter.

8. November: the 'loftmen' came, did the work, lovely new hole in a safer place, but broke the house intruder alarm system by cutting through the wires in the loft in three places. By now I was completely pi**ed off.

9. December: the 'loftmen' would not pay for their mistake other than £50 for one wire repair!

10. I was going to chase them in small claims but couldn't be arsed.

11. January: am about to restart boards and supports with help of son number 1.

12. I am shocked that it is a year + and am ashamed.

There you go.

However, on the up side:

1. I have sorted stock and know more or less what I have and what I'm going to make a fortune with by selling it on Ebay.

2. I have stopped buying loco's (for now). In fact I have more Spams than Too many Spams!

3. I have done so much research that I need a new PC to store all the info.

4. I have the support of a couple of really good modelling friends to whom I owe a huge debt of gratitude after the miserable last few months of 2014.

5. Some of Geoff's coaches and wagons will work on Seaton Junctionish.

Quackers.

P.S. Really appreciate your kicking my ar*e. I need to get a grip.

All of which confirms yet again that for some reason life enjoys kicking you when you are down. Eventually though it gets bored and goes off to find some other poor sod to persecute. Then everything feels so much nicer, and generally a spell of good fortune follows. Anyway, we are all with you Phil, and while we may, (do), take the p*** unmercifully, you know we don't mean it. The day will come when you really feel up for it, and then we shall see all of those Spams running.

• Like 3

Oh drat. One is undone. 

OK here  is my excuse  are my excuses.

1. I did actually start building it around May and then decided I wanted to change the loft hole/ladder before I went any further.

2. June: I took down the board supports I had so lovingly installed and put the huge lumps of existing base-board I had inherited, back on the 'ready to use' stack.

3. July: I decide to build my own set of 'lightweight' boards for the main station/yard area according to the gospel of how to build lightweight boards. 

4. August: I made one and a half and then got a stinking virus from which I have only just recovered (well almost).

5. September: The 'loft men' couldn't do the job until November! My mate Geoff Brewin died and I got really low.

6. October: the 'loftmen' told me I needed the latest insulation (previously described on here as making the loft look a bit like the ISS).

7. It was now winter.

8. November: the 'loftmen' came, did the work, lovely new hole in a safer place, but broke the house intruder alarm system by cutting through the wires in the loft in three places. By now I was completely pi**ed off.

9. December: the 'loftmen' would not pay for their mistake other than £50 for one wire repair!

10. I was going to chase them in small claims but couldn't be arsed.

11. January: am about to restart boards and supports with help of son number 1.

12. I am shocked that it is a year + and am ashamed.

There you go.

However, on the up side:

1. I have sorted stock and know more or less what I have and what I'm going to make a fortune with by selling it on Ebay.

2. I have stopped buying loco's (for now). In fact I have more Spams than Too many Spams!

3. I have done so much research that I need a new PC to store all the info.

4. I have the support of a couple of really good modelling friends to whom I owe a huge debt of gratitude after the miserable last few months of 2014.

5. Some of Geoff's coaches and wagons will work on Seaton Junctionish.

Quackers.

P.S. Really appreciate your kicking my ar*e. I need to get a grip.

If you want to cheer yourself up, read my #133 and #166. (although I fully realise you might have very strong reasons for not doing so. ;) )

One thing I do know, posting my layout as it is, and not how I wanted it to be before starting a thread, has been a huge release of frustration; wish I'd done so years ago, then I might have avoided getting myself into the clarts. 

Regards,

Hal

• RMweb Premium

Yes, in the same period I have bought much, and modelled....nothing.

However I also retired, un-retired part time, and also lost my best mate, like you.

Life's like that sometimes.  I'm determined to get stuck in to my US layout again once the weather improves (my layout is in an unconnected garage down the bottom of the garden) and may even make some boards for my projected urban grot SR 3rd rail layout.

I share your shame, Phil!

Oi, Mr Duck - Get off this Website and get some modelling done!!

(but sympathies over some of the 'downs' over the last 12 months)

And it's probably quite cold up in the loft at the mo, eh?

April, maybe....? (2015, that is)

You could always model some station buildings, etc, at the kitchen table, then display them for our admiration. :D

1.1...And Lo it came to pass that on the eighth day the LORD looked at the area known in history as SEATONJUNCTION and was not pleased

1.2 And He summoned unto HIM all the Angels and archangels of the parish of RMWEB and said unto them "Go ye henceforth and speak unto the peoples of RMWEB and let it be known that I THE LORD OF RAILWAY MODELLING am much displeased by the PONTIFICATIons of those who would have bigger HATCHES.

1.3 And the angels and archangels of the land of RMWEB saith unto each other "In Truth we have never seen him that upset before" and they were sore AFRAID

1.3 And so they went among the peoples of RMWEB and spake thus unto them. "Be thou diligent in the completion of thy labours and MAKE PROGRESS, else thou shalt incur the Wrath of THE LORD who is exceeding angry with thy lack of achievement,

1.4 And the People of RMWEB were sore afraid.

1.5 Then Lo there came unto the land of RMWEB a stranger who came from the Northern Lands of WAVERLEYEAST who asked the People of the Land of RMWEB why they were sore afraid.

1.9 And the chief of the people of RMWEB, who was known far and wide as the GREATNORTHERN and whose name spread  awe among the lesser mortals who lived in that land said unto the stranger  "Be gone back to they shivering wastes and leave us alone else thou shalt be made to see the error of thine ways."

2.0 And the stranger did reply "But I have seen the error of my ways, which is why I have journeyed to the Land of RMWEB to seek the knowledge and wisdom of the GREAT DUCK whose exploits are spoken off in hushed tones throughout the land of WAVERLEYEAST, as a wise and knowing Sage

2.1 And GREATNORTHERN Saith unto him" Thou art mistaken for the GREAT DUCK is still in deep thought and much FRUSTRATION. He has yet to lay track to board."

2.2 And the stranger saith. "But that is good. For only this day have I come from WAVERLEYEAST after discovering that however hard I try to lay it right Code 70 derails my COCKOFTHENORTH and I am sore afraid for the future of our HOBBY."

2.3 And lo from the distance the GEAT DUCK did speak and say unto the stranger "It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive" and returned quietly unto his PONTIFICATIONS

2.3 And all those in the land of RMWEB murmured their agreement

2.5 And the stranger hung his head in awe and saith. Verily all the rumours that the GREAT DUCK is a wise and knowing sage are true."

And thus endeth the lesson.

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You could always model some station buildings, etc, at the kitchen table, then display them for our admiration. :D

What a great idea.

However, I shall start with coach conversions using Gresley/Thompson donors and Comet or MJT sides for Gresley SOs (D186 & D27) and BSOs (D196), a few Thompson CKs and two Gresley/EastleighRCAFs (Bill Beford sides - Hornby Gresley donors).

I've got a few Comet  full kit ER/SR Bulleid coaches to finish off as well as several unstarted Comet  kits for BR, ER, MR and WR coaches suitable for this project. Also some unstarted Southern Pride Bulleids!

I shall also do some MR stuff using Airfix donors and Comet sides but I don't have the sides or bogies yet. (I'm getting bogies direct from Dapol). Sides will probably be Comet.

I'm really lucky in that I shall be having some support with the conversions until I've got the hang of the hacking.

This could be followed by some Maunsell Conversions to Restaurant/Dining Cars, using some slightly damaged Hornby Maunsells. I'll use Bill Bedford sides.

Then there are the wagon kits.....................just found the box. :sarcastichand:

There's also the loco fleet to sort out; new identities, detailing, modification and weathering.

Oh dear, I'd better do as 4479 says............. :rtfm:

Quackers.

P.S. See how I avoided the mention of doing any buildings.....cunning eh? Wonder if Stubby might be interested?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Shows the side done by TW and partly attached and my effort ready tp be attached.

post-2326-0-25052300-1422891815_thumb.jpg

Shows the inside of the carcass demonstrating how much side comes off and how careful one will have to be when 'cutting/sawing'.

post-2326-0-36841100-1422891834_thumb.jpg

Shows door detail

post-2326-0-48216000-1422891853_thumb.jpg

Shows the inside of a side - the helpful etches.

post-2326-0-35396600-1422891890_thumb.jpg

Shows the roof detail that will need some alteration

post-2326-0-79367000-1422891872_thumb.jpg

Shows how much work needs to be done on an end and also the addition of a 'new' Cantrail after the side has been attached (by TW)

post-2326-0-09342400-1422891915_thumb.jpg

Shows how the second side (my effort) will sit on the 'shell'; not glued yet. I shall use Evostick in 'contact' mode.

post-2326-0-91635300-1422891926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I thought that sort of thing was beyond me but I went for it. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92858-h-33-restaurant-carriage-finished/

.....and what a superb job you made of it mate

post-7090-0-22635900-1421534506_thumb.jp

If mine turns out as smart as that (thank the Lord, no lining required on mine, just good, old BRSR Green) then I shall be celebrating with a wee dram.

Anyway, today I shall be mainly creating what I think the interior will look like. I have 3 small pics in a 1954 Trains Illustrated. Two of those help (I think). If I'm brave I might show the scribblings on here and ask advice from those wot knows lots about this sort of thing.

Laters,

Quackers.

• Like 2