SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

.....and what a superb job you made of it mate

post-7090-0-22635900-1421534506_thumb.jp

If mine turns out as smart as that (thank the Lord, no lining required on mine, just good, old BRSR Green) then I shall be celebrating with a wee dram.

Anyway, today I shall be mainly creating what I think the interior will look like. I have 3 small pics in a 1954 Trains Illustrated. Two of those help (I think). If I'm brave I might show the scribblings on here and ask advice from those wot knows lots about this sort of thing.

Laters,

Quackers.

*Showing scribblings - and photos " is a default requirement of all future relevant posts.  :jester: (almost denied the jester)

• RMweb Premium

I've renamed our toilet "the gym" at home, then I can impress everyone at work when I say I went to the gym every morning before work.

If only it were that simple..............................

So here are the pics.

This is my sketch, according to the Gospal of Trains Illustrated September 1954, as I think the internal layout could be.

post-2326-0-10167800-1422974668_thumb.jpg

....a little X by the window or door indicates whiteout.

Not a very good shot of the roof. I have managed to salvage all the ventilators and two fan covers. The torp vents are neat little mouldings and pushed out easily. The two covers had to be pulled off (also easy but it broke the fixing lugs).

I have also filed off the roof board 'brackets'.

post-2326-0-60484400-1422974986_thumb.jpg

I'd really appreciate any info on the layout arrangement. There is some indication of the colours used and materials in the TI article but no plan is given.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

Finished scribbling but must go to Gym. Procrastination yet again.

Promise to show you mine when I get back :nono:

P

As someone who exists pondering the results of my wifes going to the gym several times a day, I am quite familiar with gymnastic processes, so - in this instance - photographs of your results will not be necessary. :jester:

Hal 

• RMweb Premium

I messed up an appointment today....it was tomorrow. Good job I checked. Doh! However, I shall be attending tomorrow thanks to an accommodating Tutor.

So, instead of wielding a saw and file and stuffing bits of plastic into unusual places, I did some more work to my Thompson D338 Semi Lav Comp. 

I'm using a pic In Harris, P 109. The coach in the picture is not quite the same as mine has rounded windows, however the design is otherwise identical.

Some of you will have seen this before so 'spot the difference'. For those of you that have not had fun seeing the blobby soldering etc I shall reveal what's new a bit later today.

Yes, I am aware that I could get a lovely, RTR Hornby product for less that the kit cost and that is a very smart coach indeed, however I shall probably still do that but I will have made this. Then I shall have two ( I think the Hornby one might have square windows?) so I can maybe sell one to a GWR modeller of Hemyockish. :stinker:

Just for info this is a Comet Kit with a MJT Roof, (better profile/shape but needs a tiny bit of adaptation to allow the sides to fit/sit neatly under the roof and the Comet ends need 'filling' at the roof 'join') and other MJT parts.

I shall fit the MJT sprung LNER type sprung buffers after painting the coach. (Not shown but they are constructed......and they work).

The reason this coach is on the 'worktable' is that there is no OO layout available yet one appeared on a Cleethorpes/Sidmouth/Exmouth set circa August1962.

post-2326-0-07366900-1423062707_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

That looks really, really nice! :D

Regardless of the Hornby, as Mr Wright says, there has to be greater pleasure in running something you've made. My own "thing" is Buildings and Scenics so I'm blessed with RTR, but one day I  do want to try things. I intend to start with plastic wagon kits, then brass+ wagons, then... my area North of the Tyne, was absolutely thick with *J27s (Percy Main Shed had 20+ and no other type!) So I have to learn to make J27s at least. And I'm quite certain that - if I can - and I damn well will! - I'll enjoy running it/them more than the most wonderful RTR A1,2,3 or 4.

*The reason is, the Coalfields of Northumberland - as it then was and still should be! - are relatively flat. The hills, such as they are, from Collieries - all downhill to the Tyne and the Wansbeck, so loaded trains were an easy trip to the rivers and the return trips were empty, obviously. So more powerful locos weren't needed. come BR a Class 2 steam loco was tried at Blyth, later a Type 20 diesel. But no more were used up until complete dieselisation when 25s and 37s took over. 

In the more northern areas K types were used, but relatively few in number. (Gross over simplification)

Sorry for the OT!

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 3

Really like the new profile pic. Very smart! 

The Trafalgar Yard was interesting and fairly unique. As a boy we used to keep an eye open for the steeple-cabbed electric that ran what must have been a suffocating tunnel down to the quay. The entrance and exit were very hard to see. I've some pictures somewhere. I purchased them so I can share - if I can find them in the under-baseboard chaos that rules the railway room.

Hal

EDIT And the Trafalgar boozer saw some of my less admirable behaviour as a youth. :jester:

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• RMweb Premium

Wakey, wakey.......! last Thursday I was able to revisit Mr TWs for further tuition on conversions. I've been doing some more work today on the RCAF and I have some pics.

This is the shell with original roof, ends and underframe reattached. The side shown is the side in the pics in Harris (left) and TI 9/54 (right).

post-2326-0-76262900-1423581940_thumb.jpg 

In a previous post I showed the sketch for the inside details that I had drawn up. TW and I decided we could use much of the existing Hornby Gresley Buffet car bits (I used a Buffet for this conversion as I had no Gresley Sleepers with Turnbuckle Trussing at the time). TW did some hacking whilst I was there and I did more today. I need to scratch build the unusual Buffet end (right end on the paper sketch and shown in the left side of the TI pics) shelf like table and stools ; Plasticard I suspect.

Here are some bits posed in front of the coach in the proposed orientation. That is, Restaurant with 18 seats to the left, Kitchen/Buffet area in the centre and then a Buffet area at the right end shown.

post-2326-0-96469000-1423582052_thumb.jpg

TW showed me how he does his shell to original floor attachment (I had seen that in the BRM Annual TW article on Gresley conversions; great article). This shows the simple bolt (end) with nut attached. The bolt is soldered through a scrap brass, transverse strip that is soldered inside the coach sides, about 2/4 mm 'up' to accommodate the floor. Probably the only thing one needs to watch here is the side the lovely vac pipe runalong the solebar is. AS it is not visible in the two pics we assumed it to be on the other side! :mail:

post-2326-0-01452500-1423582364_thumb.jpg

The Eastleigh conversion added lots of underfloor stuff such as Gas Bottle Cabinets and other necessary things to provide for the Kitchen area. (You can see this showing whiteish in the TI picture in my first picture)

TW kindly gave me some 'redundant' Lima MK 1 Restaurant car underframe detailing parts (Dean Sidings DS 003); resin castings.

post-2326-0-15434200-1423582589_thumb.jpg

Some of these will do as they create the 'appearance'. OK I know they are probably not what should be there and the position is technically wrong. However, they will be black and dirty and hardly noticeable on the finished effort. (See the Harris pic in my first pic!)

post-2326-0-92349400-1423582960_thumb.jpg

Just glued on with plastic glue, not liquid.

We also noted that the bogies were Gresley and not the Heavy Duty ones. That means I could use the original Hornby ones or some Comet ones I've now got spare from the Triplet Kit build I am describing elsewhere. (That build needs Heavy Duty Gresleys all through and I shall use two MJT rigids and two sets of sides [thanks again TW] stuck on two of the Comet eched bogie frames). I'll decide when I see the ride height required.

I've also got to find my spare sets of etched Turnbuckle UFs that are hiding somewhere in the loft!!

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 8

Ah Phil - one of the joys of maturity I fear is an inability to recover quite as rapidly - As you know I had a big knee op before Christmas, juts as I'm finally getting fully mobile again, an old ankle sprain resurfaces!

Unfortunately I'm pn parade for a work dinner tonight which I'm facilitatiting so I shall be forced to take  my friends I B Profen and Co Dean!

• Friendly/supportive 1

This is a very different kind of thing - I facilitate discussions around a key issue affecting large enterprises - think a business version of Question Time, but with 20people and good food.

A much more interesting thought though is this...

post-10395-0-31018700-1423647773.png

Amusingly, ref tonight, when I sent back my menu choices to the client who is organising the evening he commented "you can tell a man who enjoys his food when he calls the last course 'pudding'!"

He knows me too well

Hope you feel better soon. As I'm working from 3.pm to 01.00 tomorrow, and my better half is away looking after elderly parents,  I'm off to lay some more track for the morning!.

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon. Been laid up a bit with yet another virus but am now sort of recovering and so here is a small update.

The RCAF underframe, that I was proud of, has had to be almost totally redone due to my incompetence in not allowing for the fitting of the etched Turnbuckle fittings! Pah!

However, out came the trusty mini saw and some bits from the spares box and I spent most of this morning 'rebuilding' the underside.

It looks really rough but let's face it, it won't be seen!

post-2326-0-78613400-1424266814_thumb.jpg

I won't bore you with the 'method' but let's just say glue was also used, even with cast parts! Also a lot of bodging took place!

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

V. Smart Phil

We had a bit of an OMG Moment when I saw Bill Bishop's post about Cuddles the Duck over on PN earlier, in which he said "Sadly this was Mallard's last posting - check out the "Cuddles the Duck" thread."

In case you've not seen it here's the link...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96138-cuddles-the-duck/?hl=%2Bcuddles+%2Bthe+%2Bduck

Glad you're still quacking!

Not sure about the bodywork on that Gresley though. I know you wanted a teak effect, but it looks more like a US Boxcar than anything HGN would have signed off!

• RMweb Premium

I am shocked at how slowly I can work when I really try!

I spent a while yesterday afternoon making up the roof arrangements for the RCAF for my coach requirements (not as the Diagram illustrated in Robert's part picture in the previous post).

I used some Southern Pride Bulleid Roof Tanks trimmed and as they come, a Comet LMS (I think) Water Filler Vent, and some of the original fittings from the Restaurant car Hornby Donor's roof.

I now have to decide what the water filler arrangements will look like and how they ran from the coach end (no really good photo's of this for reference). As you look at the roof, from the end nearest the camera, that is where the filler pipes will run up as end handrails and then along the roof to the space after the three torp vents and just before the round vent cowling.

post-2326-0-09173200-1424336358_thumb.jpg

As you can see, glue was also involved in this faffing and my mitre block makes a good stand! 

I doubt I shall do much today other than fabricating the innards.

Quackers.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Innards. Set next to the body in the correct configuration and with the UF/floor in front.

post-2326-0-70476900-1424356548_thumb.jpg

The Restaurant area is nearest the camera; seating for 18, not quite the layout  as shown in the prototype, the Kitchen area then the Buffet Counter and Buffet area. 

The Buffet 'table' is supposed to be a 'scolloped' shape with indents where the customer seating (stools) would be; CBA to do that.

It is quite easy to see the 'original' Restaurant Car parts.

The Buffet 'table' is simple Plasticard from a Comet Coach interior detailing kit, as is the 'false flooring'.

The latter is designed to sit on the UF floor with two slightly raised ends to sit over the body to floor attachments. I may have to adjust (have adjusted) the height of the nearest tables since this pic was taken.

Glue was involved in this bit of faff as well.

P

Edit. The original lump of steel for the weight has been replaced with some lead. No I did not nick it from our Church Roof. The coach would be too light without some 'ballast'.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert. Love the J15 by the way!

Last night SWMBO received a moving email from Geoff Brewin's widow. She is, understandably, finding quite a few things really hard to deal with at the moment. However we are seeing her in a weeks time when we go and stay for a few days so there will be some opportunities to do 'better stuff' then.

I was quite upset after reading it and my head started to go down the road of  I'm going to pack in all this layout nonsense.  Anyway, that's not for discussion here but I can't help but think what SWMBO would do with all my rubbish if I were to depart suddenly. Time to sort my head out. So.........

this morning I decided to get on and represent the water filling pipes as mentioned earlier.

Bodge time! First I tried just wire glue and bits of Plasticard .... failure.

So, return to the tried and tested method (but not by me) of handrail pillars (short), superglue (had to walk into town to get that) and .33mm wire. Don't ask why .33mm; it has been in the spares box for years!

post-2326-0-93693400-1424439638_thumb.jpg

Nothing clever here, just an approximation of what the system was like and when the roof and ends are painted I doubt it will look too bad.

The plastic roof meant it was easy to drill holes for the pillars and I have used a spare toilet filler casting from a bag of Comet roof detailing bits; GWR I think?

post-2326-0-12851300-1424439644_thumb.jpg

Doing something like this is quite satisfying. However it demonstrates just how good some of the detailing is on RTR coaches is these days when this is compared to what was on the coach originally.

Now I have to work out how I'm going to deal with the paint job!!

There were some interesting colours used (Restaurant area walls were a, quote "sickly green") but from the B & W pics in TI I think the interior will need a lot of creamy white, nice reds, wood and chrome colours. 

At least I know the table cloths were white but the curtains.....who knows?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

+++++++++STOP PRESS++++++++

FAMOUS RAILWAY VIRTUAL MODELLER SEEN NOT DOING ANY MODELLING!

LIncolnshire, 15th March 2015

Reports are coming in that a well-known virtual railway modeller, Mr P Quackers, has recently reported himself to the management of RMWeb for 'Doing Nothing'.

Senior management have decided that this represents a potentially major incident which is likely to court media attention and therefore merits a full enquiry.

"I have every confidence that we will be able to establish precisely who is at fault and rapidly determine an appropriate conclusion, so I have today appointed one of our most senior and experienced managers to hold a full internal inquiry' Commented an un-named senior manager.

Rumours flying around the scene have hinted that Mr. Quackers upon returning home from the region of Northern Peterborough was so frustrated to find that there had been no progress on his layout in his absence that he immediately did nothing. Apparently, fearing the potential media backlash he then reported himself to the management.

"I really can;t believe what all the fuss is about, said a contrite Mr, Quackers at his home this morning. "All I did was what any normal, frustrated chap would do in such circumstances which is precisely nothing.  I have no further comment at this time" he said, before heading off to 'somewhere else, completely different where I can recharge my batteries before having a go at doing something.'

Informed sources have suggested that Mr. Quackers felt that Something should have happened in his absence, but as it hadn't, his actions were appropriate. It was only some days after the incident that he decided to make management aware of the situation.

Although it was rumoured that here had been a 'fracas' no other parties have so far come forward to make any comment. Media speculation will doubtless rise to a frenzy of ill-informed half truths until the whole case is heard and results of the inquiry made public. It has been suggested that Mr. Quackers is reconsidering his future as he has a long history of being controversial, although it has been said that his ability to articulate lies way beyond that of most average modellers.

Jeremy Clarkson is 56

Edited by bigwordsmith