SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Old boiler? SWMBO must not see this post!

The water supply header/storage tank is the big b***er. The CH tank is the little un.

Does the big tank go if the Combi gets fitted then? If so then this might be a good idea. Ta Mike.

Phil

Definitely no tank with a combi boiler - came as something of a surprise to me as the house was being built and plumbing installed that we had no water tank of any sort.  Definitely odd if you're used to more traditional types of plumbing but highly commendable as it does create more space up in the roof (which you can then fill with so  much household junk and years of magazines that there's no room left for a model railway!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You will be amazed at how much more economical a modern boiler is in comparison with a 17 year old one, I know I was. One thing eith Combis is that they are all born with an achilles heel - the plate heat exchanger, so make sure you get a good warranty and follow that with an insurance based service contract.

• RMweb Gold

I have found three sets of old 4mm name/numberplates in the loft:

SR Spitfire with circle front plate.

BR Elders Fyffes: Kings Cross thus has decal flag

BR Sir Dodinas Le Savage.

None have cabside decals.

Postage only to anyone that would like them.

Phil

Were they underneath the header tank?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

You will be amazed at how much more economical a modern boiler is in comparison with a 17 year old one, I know I was. One thing eith Combis is that they are all born with an achilles heel - the plate heat exchanger, so make sure you get a good warranty and follow that with an insurance based service contract.

I think you do them a dis-service Colin.

I've only ever replaced a couple, and that was probably partly due to the installation having no treatment fitted on either side.

Correctly installed, any half decent quality boiler should last well enough.

Mike.

Mike.

After living over here for a while now, I am always amazed that the boiler is still upstairs.  When living back home in my folks house, the boiler was in the airing cupboard and even then I used to wonder what would happen if a leak ever occurred.  Here, we have forced air heat and cooling with everything in the garage or basement along with a 50gal hot water tank.

Brian.

Thanks for that heads up. Site won't accept my card at the mo...hope it is OK. I'll phone them tomorrow.

I'll have a look for Whiteways wagons but I think maybe they just used vans in the 60s? presumably they would have something going east?

Phil

Wessex Wagons did some Whiteways branded items - but that was some years back and they're a bit hard to find.

• RMweb Gold

Wessex Wagons did some Whiteways branded items - but that was some years back and they're a bit hard to find.

A six wheel tanker and a vent van.I had them both but sold them to fund ANTB !

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all. Now, you all think I'm going to tell you about some progress with the layout or make excuses as to why there has been no progress with the layout!

Well, some of you are half right and some of you......are half wrong.

Today I am setting you a little quiz question:

there is a prize.

Who can tell me what the item in the picture has to do with Seaton Junctionish? Sensible answers may win you the special prize......... :mail:

attachicon.gifImg_0087.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0086.jpg

So, there is a little progress on the 'layout'!

For the technical minded:

Hornby Donor BR1G (thank you Redgate)

Comet tender chassis and frame (not telling which one obviously).

Quackers.

Ah, now is it transmogrifying into a BR1A tender?  That would open up the possibility of 70009 having an outing down to Exeter instead of its more usual fare on The Bournemouth Belle.  Or it's simplya  diverted 9F off the mainline via Taunton or the other mainline which headed southwards instead of westwards at Templecombe.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that was almost correct. However, more detail is required.

By the way Stubbs I am now in conversation with the present owner of the Dairy Yard site (SJ).  I'll fill in more details for you later on. 

P

More info ? Do I need to mention the phrase 'a tender behind'?

Good news about the Dairy info.

• RMweb Premium

My pasty is in no danger of being transferred to a lucky winner ..... yet.

I shall give you all until tomorrow afternoon and then I shall reveal the true purpose of the 'sludge wagon' (cheeky monkey  :onthequiet: )

Hurcule Poirot.

• RMweb Gold

Would said tender be for a Standard 5 which I would've thought might be regulars down that way (excuse my ignorance of things Southern and Standard tenders...)

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1