SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

7MT

6MT

5MT

4MT 4-6-0 :scratchhead:

4MT 2-6-0 :scratchhead:

9F

I will guess at the one with less wheels, but they did look silly with a big tender.

Would you like me to PM my address so you can send me my Pasty.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Dear Quackers, the sad opportunity to read your thread has arisen due to currently being laid up for (hopefully) just a few days. Lots of laughs in the last few hours. Many thanks.

Ps, more photos needed...

• Informative/Useful 1

Dear Quackers, the sad opportunity to read your thread has arisen due to currently being laid up for (hopefully) just a few days. Lots of laughs in the last few hours. Many thanks.

Ps, more photos needed...

Here's a photo, specially for Ducky, and 2ManySpams.  

post-238-0-39702200-1429005951_thumb.jpg

This was taken some time ago when Jenny came to mine for 'coffee'.  I can be seen in the background discussing race tactics with James Hunt and a young Bernard Ecclestone is trying to muscle in on the act.  Later that day, I declined to marry Jenny as she'd clearly had too much wine and I was busy that day.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, that's taken a day off my recovery.

I always wonder if JA is aware that she has a cult following on certain parts of RMWEB? Would she be amused or bemused that her key follower is a duck??

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I had to reread that cult following bit just in case............similar Froidian brain slip to the Jeremy Hunt catasstrophy on Radio 4.

Oh Spams, I do hope thine ailment is not being egg bound. .Now I must go and see if my Gresley has dried off so I can glue it back together; Donny used to do that you know.

Quockery.

I almost underlined and bolded the 'l' as I suspected you might have problems...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

92205 hauling a ballast train (stoney) from Meldon Quarry?

Well done Teaky. February 1962 92205 hauled a ballast from Central to wherever and went through SJ going east! I have a pic to prove that it ran that way on that date!

So have you.....what a superb site for information.

92205.jpg

the Pasty has been eaten.....what can I do but apologise that you were just too late to qualify as the competition closed at 14.25 today.

However a big hoorah hussar to you. Well done.

It was such a rare occurance that I just had to have the 9F involved a,d 92234 will be the donor loco.

DJH kit bought off the lamented Classifieds. It had the wrong tender, both for 92234 and 'my loco' 92205 and that was slightly damged but as well built as the loco. Fortunately, Redgate did me a horse trade for a BR1G tender body and thus the previous pics and an excuse for a little bit of fun.

Quockery.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So, as promised. Pity I can't as yet pose it as per the pic.

post-2326-0-87031600-1429029646_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-91052900-1429029654_thumb.jpg

92234 will become 92205. It will receive lots of crud cover as will the tender of course.

I've yet to decide how best to join body to chassis/frame and work out a tender loco coupling.

I will have to buy myself a pre used Evening Star or borrow one (thanks Rob) for the two occasions it appeared at SJ  :scared:as mentioned on that web site from which the picture of the ballast train came.

Quickels.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A 9f was once allocated as a banker?

Excellent attempt. However, nope!

P

Now 'ere Mr Drake

When I did my list of what potential classes it could be, crossing out those you had already eliminated. I crossed out the 9F so I think Mr Teaky should at least have the crust off your pasty.

• RMweb Premium

Ohhhhh. Co coo ca chu! I have several boxes of not even started ballast wagons (some are Cambrian and I don't have the necessary drugs to take before attempting those) of various Diagrams so yours would be interesting thanks.

I shall just have to find some silly pictures of Walruses now.

P

Half finished because I built one n 2007 and then embarked on batch building for a future project that didn't happen. The builds then just tailed off and, to be fair, they are some of the better Cambrian kits. I think there's a mixture of three diagram types that include the various bogie types and hopper slope angles. Did you know that as the Walrus batches/diagrams continued that the end slopes got progressively steeper? Aparently the nature of the Meldon stone changed over time and a steeper slope was needed to get the old gravity discharge working. Oh and then some BR genius took a different plate bogie that was already proven to be rubbish and fitted it to a longer 50T version of the Walrus. Any guesses on how good that design was??? 

• RMweb Premium

When Chris first said "half finished" I thought is that the front half, or the right hand half? :scratchhead: Which then reminded me of a layout which appeared in a 1980s Model Railway Constructor. The chap was a GCR modeller and built a joint GCR and LNWR station, well part of a joint station. He modelled the GCR bit and as part of the backscene had low relief LNWR coaches in one of the LNWR platforms. :O  I too could never get Ratio coaches to run well. :no:

There you go Quackers a row of half built Walruses stuck to your back scene. :declare:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to put together some sort of "plasterboard wall" up around the boiler in the garage (obviously it vents externally but I'm hoping here you were going to position in a corner making such a prospect possible) so it's effectively in its own cupboard, meaning spraying in the garage (with proper ventilation, of course as always) may still be possible?

Phil , IF your boiler is properly installed then it should not interact in any way with the garage air - it should pull fresh air in through the outer bart of the balanced flue and throw the hot/waste air out of the other part.

On that basis, I see no reason to discontinue spraying, but you should have an extractor anyway - you really don't want to breath that stuff in!

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Would it be possible to put together some sort of "plasterboard wall" up around the boiler in the garage (obviously it vents externally but I'm hoping here you were going to position in a corner making such a prospect possible) so it's effectively in its own cupboard, meaning spraying in the garage (with proper ventilation, of course as always) may still be possible?

Phil , IF your boiler is properly installed then it should not interact in any way with the garage air - it should pull fresh air in through the outer bart of the balanced flue and throw the hot/waste air out of the other part.

On that basis, I see no reason to discontinue spraying, but you should have an extractor anyway - you really don't want to breath that stuff in!

Peter

Peter is correct.  If this danger did exist, then putting a boiler into a garage with petrol fumes wouldn't be a good idea.

If you are concerned about the boiler getting paint on it then put it in a cheap kitchen unit.  The boiler instalation handbook will give you details of the clearance needed around the sides.

"... you should have an extractor anyway ..." - spot on, it isn't a good idea to breath any dust, even if you are using water-based paints.  This topic has been covered several times on RMweb, so a search should bring up ideas.  At the very least, wear a good mask, but remember if you can smell it, you're breathing it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like you have it well covered.  So much so that I'm going to ask your advice.  What ventilation method do you use for your spray booth?  Does it result in any paint residue outside?  It's the one thing I struggle to get my head around.  It is all well and good people saying they stick a duct/hose out of the window but I always imagine there being a gradual build up of tiny paint particles down the wall or somewhere.