Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

I maybe wrong, I usually am, but I seem to remember that the Channel Tunnel waste was pumped out into the Channel at-least at this side!

A lot of it was used to create Samphire Hoe, a new nature reserve on the sea side of the railway line under the cliffs. Very good mobile reception there (from French cellphone base stations!).

edited for clarity

Edited by eastwestdivide

Track machine activity

Colas  75408 from about 12-45 pm on Dawlish web cam.

You don't normally see it that close.

• RMweb Premium

I maybe wrong, I usually am, but I seem to remember that the Channel Tunnel waste was pumped out into the Channel at-least at this side!

A lot of it was used to create Samphire Hoe, a new nature reserve on the sea side of the railway line under the cliffs. Very good mobile reception there (from French cellphone base stations!).

edited for clarity

The waste from Crossrail is being used to turn Wallasea Island into a nature reserve. Wallasea Island for those who don't no where it is its opposite Burnham-on-Crouch Essex.

• RMweb Gold

Track machine activity

Colas  75408 from about 12-45 pm on Dawlish web cam.

You don't normally see it that close.

Here's another view. This will be the only photo I put up this evening, as having spent the whole day out there and also at the Newton Abbot roadworks site (huge culvert under the railway), I have run out of energy...

post-57-0-40069400-1395176555.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just the right sort of colour scheme to be seen alongside the funfair - nice & bright & summery.

• Like 1

Here's another view. This will be the only photo I put up this evening, as having spent the whole day out there and also at the Newton Abbot roadworks site (huge culvert under the railway), I have run out of energy...

attachicon.gifIMG_1939.JPG

CK were you in Teignmouth station car park at lunchtime today?

A whisper today in Dawlish was that trains wont stop at Dawlish until August, through trains only. Seems a bit crazy to me but ...........

LE

edited for clarity

If anything, the process was the other way round; the UK terminal was brought up to level with huge amounts of sand pumped from the English Channel.

If anything, the process was the other way round; the UK terminal was brought up to level with huge amounts of sand pumped from the English Channel.

I am surprised that the Goodwin Sands still exist. In the late 80's when Dover Harbour were filling in the old submarine pens they pumped thousands of tons of sand from the Goodwin to fill in the pen area.

I am surprised that the Goodwin Sands still exist. In the late 80's when Dover Harbour were filling in the old submarine pens they pumped thousands of tons of sand from the Goodwin to fill in the pen area.

Given the number of episodes of the Navy Lark where HMS Troutbridge ran into them (and one when they removed the marker buoy thinking it was an American space capsule,causing the entire Home Fleet to run aground), I'm surprised there was enough sand left to fill in the submarine pen... :-P

• Like 1

Dawlish Gazette today.

News

Celebration plan for railway’s reopening

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

by Ellen Grindley

PLANS are being put together to celebrate the reopening of the railway line at Dawlish.

Exact details are still being arranged but suggestions already being looked into include using a steam train as the first train to travel along the repaired line, carrying dignitaries and ‘celebrities’ although names are yet to be confirmed.

The event on Friday, April 4, will mark the completion of extensive repairs after the two storms which breached the line. 

The Gazette understands a senior member of the government is likely to be on board, possibly the Prime Minister.

Email: ellengrindley@tindlenews.co.uk

• Like 1

Latest rumour (hey its the railway, it runs on rumours) is that the line might open a week earlier on Friday 28th March.

When I asked how they were getting on with the latest landslip I got a blank look so please dont shoot the messenger!

• RMweb Premium

It would be reasonable - nay essential - for the route to be available for traffic at least a few days before planned reopening in order to test signalling and safe working systems.  As such there may be a "working" date of 28th March for the route to be cleared of all obstructions in order to pass test trains.  That of necessity would include a few ECS positioning moves to ensure the right stock is in the right places for the reopening.

With some festivities now in the offing for the April reopening to passengers and that date widely promulgated as "D-Day" (for Dawlish, of course) I doubt it would be brought forward at this stage.

Had a convict (Aussie) on the phone today, and he said why are they taking so long to fix it as it will be like a bomb crater and fixed in a few hours. After giving him some more information he has a better idea what the whole problem is and also sent him a link to this topic as well for some bed time reading. 

Australian railways are accustomed to coping with huge breaches and washouts.  In particular the lines through Queensland and the Northern Territory suffer annually from seasonal flooding while New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia suffer frequent devastating bush fires.  Interruptions to rail traffic of days, sometimes weeks and occasionally even longer are by British standards commonplace.  However most of those authorities are prepared for what they have to cope with every year in terms of having new track and ballast stockpiled and ready to go, also new signalling and overhead gear where necessary.  As an example I was aboard a train which was the first allowed through after floodwaters dropped north of Rockhampton towards the Burdekin River basin and on to Cairns.  Mile after mile had been washed out but only two days after the rails emerged clear of the water new ballast was in and we crept at caution across an inland sea for over half an hour.

Australia and Dawlish are not directly comparable because of the very different climate and weather experienced under what can be called normal conditions.  The procession combined with the severity of the storms which damaged much of the railway network across the south west of England and through Cornwall is probably rather abnormal yet the railway has managed a magnificent response in a perfectly reasonable time. 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

The weather in the UK will be changing from Tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the latest link from our American friends:

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/qdtm86bw.gif

There will be some strong SW winds along the cold front itself - lasting most of the day as it traverses Britain. Following on from that the overall temperatures will be significantly colder - more "normal" infact. Wintry showers and more frost to follow on.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Folks, listen, please..... it is very unlikely that the line will reopen earlier than the 4th April date.

There is absolutely no whisper from the steam charter operators about a steam special in connection with this, and there normally would be.

I'm not convinced that a steam train is the most appropriate type of train to be first over the reopened line, I personally think it should be a conventional, modern train carrying the usual passengers that use the line, in a low-key, 'let's get on with it' kind of way...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

CK were you in Teignmouth station car park at lunchtime today?

A whisper today in Dawlish was that trains wont stop at Dawlish until August, through trains only. Seems a bit crazy to me but ...........

LE

Hi Light Engine,

I was in Teignmouth station car park, yesterday morning, briefly (parked the car there to make a site visit further up), but not at lunchtime. 

Don't take any notice about rumours or whispers about where trains will or will not stop when the line reopens. Dawlish station has just had a major make-over, new canopy coverings and a complete re-paint amongst other things. What with the volume of school traffic there as well, rest assured that trains will stop there from the time the line reopens!

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the night shift have been very busy installing more L sections :)

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

looks like they are being concreted over as well as being bolted down too - this is going to be one very sturdy structure!

Yes, in my previous postings I had overlooked the fact that there is another 18" (approx) of concrete to be laid on the top of the previous level, which will have the effect of 'burying' the bases of the smaller 'L' sections. When you see my photos from yesterday, you will see that approx 2/3 of the main washout site has now had this final level of concrete added, the rest may have been done by now. The ballast waiting at Dawlish Warren will follow soon afterwards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, in my previous postings I had overlooked the fact that there is another 18" (approx) of concrete to be laid on the top of the previous level, which will have the effect of 'burying' the bases of the smaller 'L' sections. When you see my photos from yesterday, you will see that approx 2/3 of the main washout site has now had this final level of concrete added, the rest may have been done by now. The ballast waiting at Dawlish Warren will follow soon afterwards.

That's good to see and the poured concrete is easily visible.  Presumably the 'sticky up things' aka drains are being extended through to the top of the new concrete before the big red spider swings into action.

Jamie