Washout at Dawlish

Oh well done sir(s).......... I have not mastered getting back in time more than a few minutes on the cam thingy.

Wonder what that was doing apart from the pilot having a laugh?

P

The coptors often coast hop up to Red rock,

turn left up the Exe to the base at Lympstone

Very unlikely I'd have thought to be an Apache (we have those flying over us nearly every day working between Middle Wallap (Army Air Corps) and Odiham (RAF) and over the Bramley training facility) as the Army Air Corps are the primary user of the fleet. So I would say it's either likely to be a Sea King Mk4 from the Commando Helicopter Force or a Royal Navy Lynx, possibly heading up to the CTC (Commando Training Centre) Lympstone from either one of the Royal Naval Bases in Plymouth or Bickleigh Barracks (RM).

The orange army were busy netting/meshing the enforced landslip cliff just past Sprey Point today. I cant help feel that the geology might ooze its way through the mesh!

Its like pubs serving soup in a basket!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having been woken By Sea Kings many times at several Stations (RAF not railway) that doesn't look like one, it looks most like a EH101/Merlin, which is quite a large aircraft so it's somewhat more than 30ft  up more like 100/150ft.

The Q

Thanks guys.

I'm used to seeing signals with just a straightforward identification e.g SY205 = Saltley 205, no up, down or anything else.

Keith

EDIT What are 203A and 203B?

As others have said it was the western system plus and minus like everything else but the LM system won out eventually.

203A & B are probably the one track circuit (and hence signal) that has been split either due to length or possibly for clearing a crossing. Is there still a barrow type crossing at Starcross? Its been a long time since I was last down that way, class 50's were still in charge back then!

Jeff.

Jeff.

Duplicate signal IDs aren't a problem as long as they aren't controlled by the same signalling centre. 

Yes and no in my opinion.

Back then when SPT or plug in was the only means of communication then it wasn't an issue.

Nowadays with mobile and similar in cab then having the controlling box clearly identified is preferable, particularly with the largely contract trackside workforce.

• RMweb Gold

203A & B are probably the one track circuit (and hence signal) that has been split either due to length or possibly for clearing a crossing. Is there still a barrow type crossing at Starcross? Its been a long time since I was last down that way, class 50's were still in charge back then!

I'd have to check, Jeff (on leave this week), but I think there are two separate signals (DM203A and DM203B). There is no barrow crossing at Starcross station, but there are a small number of pedestrian foot crossings in the area, which give rise to the requisite Whistle boards. None of these crossings are in any way linked to the signalling (and so don't have white lights or the like, either).

........ Is there still a barrow type crossing at Starcross? ...........

Jeff.

Long since gone Jeff

since two elderly deaf persons walked accross

without looking & just missed being killed

only cross platform access is by the foot bridge,

no access at all for wheelchair users

• RMweb Gold

It must be difficult to even get to the down side platform for you Don, there's several steps up from the road. No chance of getting to the Exmouth ferry either.

It seems strange that the platform end pedestrian crossing closed, but the one across to the small jetty is still open only a few hundred metres away...?

Hi All

Re. the helicopter     its an apache attack helicopter .The thingy above the rota is radar  which is part of the up grade which gave it the name Long bow Apache it is the only misssile armed helo.the British Army has  I think that the linx ,which originaly carried missiles now is only used as a transport since aquiring the apache the new linx wildcat is for the Navy.

emte

Edited by emte

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Re. the helicopter     its an apache attack helicopter .The thingy above the rota is radar  which is part of the up grade which gave it the name Long bow Apache it is the only misssile armed helo.the British Army has  I think that the linx ,which originaly carried missiles now is only used as a transport since aquiring the apache the new linx wildcat is for the Navy.

emte

Which one?

The one I posted was over Worcestershire and looks like an Apache to me.

The one on the Dawlish Beachcam doesn't !

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to have dragged you all off topic but I really enjoy people's knowledge of 'incidental stuff'. I like the Merlin solution; thanks chaps/chapesses

I do hope this thread can continue as a friendly discussion group despite the 'washout' having been dealt with ages ago.

Where is you nearest accessible station then 'chops'?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It seems strange that the platform end pedestrian crossing closed, but the one across to the small jetty is still open only a few hundred metres away...?

Part of this will be to do with sighting of the crossings from approaching trains, Rich. There would have been very little warning in terms of sighting alone, for a barrow crossing at Starcross station. Those to the jetties are just a little way on towards Exeter, so sighting is a bit better, but even these need 'supporting' by Whistle boards.

If CK's orange army had worked as slow as the G I SYKES painters work at Teignmouth painting the station we would be waiting until next April for the line to re open. I am not saying they are slow and have long breaks and long periods of inactivity. BUT they aint fast and they dont have short breaks!

I'd have to check, Jeff (on leave this week), but I think there are two separate signals (DM203A and DM203B). There is no barrow crossing at Starcross station, but there are a small number of pedestrian foot crossings in the area, which give rise to the requisite Whistle boards. None of these crossings are in any way linked to the signalling (and so don't have white lights or the like, either).

They are seperate signals and are both autos.

DM203A is at 203 miles at Cockwood Harbour, DM203B us at 203 3/4 miles.

The next signal is E68 just before 204 1/4 and controls access into Dawlish Warren loop.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dont see any pic in your post

Should do, it's definitely there!

I'm viewing this on a different computer to the one I originally posted it on and there is definitely a picture of a chopper.

Keith

Edit: Anybody else not seeing it?

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Summat up with the webcam?  No it's the train tracker gone wonky.

P

Yes. it stopped working just as 1C88 entered the block from E070.

I was watching at the time.

Keith

How often does this happen??

timing by livewebcam clock

17.58.57   a 143? going south on down track

post-22449-0-75231800-1399063322_thumb.jpg

I was in Dawlish at the tunnel, saw it stop in the station & then pull out again

500 yds 30 sec? behind this one

at 18.02.45 on webcam

comes DOWN

the UP LINE

post-22449-0-55839100-1399063454_thumb.jpg

I was so surprised & could not get my camera out in time to photo it

Followed about 3 mins later on down line by another local stopper

8-9 mins later a HST  roared by on the UP line (going UP)

So does  one assume that this was creative use of track utilisation

to allow the non stop cross country to leapfrog the 143

& regain the right road at Teignmouth while the 143 stops in Teigmouth Station

If I remember the crossover there is on the Newton side of the platforms

BUT how often does this occur??

• Like 1