RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

In idle moments I have often thought that they should use the same colour tarmac that the road is denoted with in a road atlas, so motorways would be blue, trunk roads green etc. It might brighten the place up a bit!

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In idle moments I have often thought that they should use the same colour tarmac that the road is denoted with in a road atlas, so motorways would be blue, trunk roads green etc. It might brighten the place up a bit!

Rob

I think the white "other roads" would show the dirt a bit!

Keith

I think the white "other roads" would show the dirt a bit!

Keith

Rob

That would confuse the heck out of the yellow striped parking vultures. 2 yellow lines on a yellow road!

Rob

I once had the similar idea that they should paint coloured lines down the middle of London streets to indicate which Underground lines ran beneath them...

• Like 4

Rob

Rather than that, how about signs saying 'You are now leaving Page 49', so that your navigator knows to turn over the page.. Admittedly, you'd have to have a uniform scale and page size.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rather than that, how about signs saying 'You are now leaving Page 49', so that your navigator knows to turn over the page.. Admittedly, you'd have to have a uniform scale and page size.

Last time I was being 'navigated' my 84 year old navigators most common comment was 'We should have turned off there.'.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a non-driver but frequent navigator I have  experienced drivers who insist on relying totally on the navigator and ignoring road signs, apparently deliberately! As in "we've just passed a sign to the museum" (which was separate from the road sign I was looking at). Ex-SWMBO also insisted on being told which exit at every roundabout even on major roads where our destination and road number were clearly signed as straight ahead.

• RMweb Gold

More steam on Friday, with 5029 again passing Dawlish at 12/32 with a steam charter from Westbury to Plymouth, returning at 17/32.

'Earl of Mount Edgecombe' works to Plymouth on a pre-positioning move with the GUV water carrier and it's support coach on Friday afternoon, passing Dawlish at 16/38.

On Saturday we have more charter trains, with D1015 working a charter from Solihull to Plymouth, passing Dawlish at 11/41, returning behind 5043 at 16/02. D1015 returns a bit earlier with a shorter charter train (looks like the downward stock splits to form the two trains), passing Dawlish at 15/21.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just an aside on the Dawlish Beach webcam

Due to my regular views I have now exceeded my broadband download limit! :O  :scratchhead:

Just to let anybody know it's like doing a continuous 2Mb/s download!

Fortunately next week I am going on to unlimited fibre :declare:

Keith

• Like 2

Just an aside on the Dawlish Beach webcam

Due to my regular views I have now exceeded my broadband download limit! :O  :scratchhead:

Just to let anybody know it's like doing a continuous 2Mb/s download!

Fortunately next week I am going on to unlimited fibre :declare:

Keith

Further to this info, I have heard that installation of the webcam cost £5000 and we see the image 15 seconds after it has happened as the signal is routed via America!

• RMweb Premium

Further to this info, I have heard that installation of the webcam cost £5000

I'm not surprised, as the quality (for a webcam) is good and you get stereo sound!

Keith

As a non-driver but frequent navigator I have  experienced drivers who insist on relying totally on the navigator and ignoring road signs, apparently deliberately! As in "we've just passed a sign to the museum" (which was separate from the road sign I was looking at). Ex-SWMBO also insisted on being told which exit at every roundabout even on major roads where our destination and road number were clearly signed as straight ahead.

Hi Pete,

Having been a driver for many years my experience of navigating the South Circular Road in London in the early 1970's was on my own I completely lost the route as I couldn't navigate & cope with the density of traffic {always in the evening after rush hour on a journey from BAOR to Wiltshire} if however I had a friend navigating by atlas & road signs there was never a problem even in the day time as it left me free to cope with the traffic {horrendous} being told which exit to take on a roundabout was a god send.

To sum up a good navigator is worth there weight when it comes to traveling around as it helps the driver enormously to stay on the correct route.

Even today my wife & I take turns with the driving and navigation which relieves the stess on both of us.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture it's not meant to be just a drivers point of view.

Regards,

Les.

• RMweb Premium

I learnt my best 'Navigator' skills when training with the BSM  (didn't remain an Instructor for long though.....). An Instructor's 'directions' (or Examiner's for that matter) are really precise and brief and given in good time.

You remember the patter... "at the end of the road, turn.......";  "at the roundabout take the third exit...." (sometimes with destination/Road number added); "take the next road on the .......".           Not unlike good sat nav directions really. 

P

I learnt my best 'Navigator' skills when training with the BSM  (didn't remain an Instructor for long though.....). An Instructor's 'directions' (or Examiner's for that matter) are really precise and brief and given in good time.

You remember the patter... "at the end of the road, turn.......";  "at the roundabout take the third exit...." (sometimes with destination/Road number added); "take the next road on the .......".           Not unlike good sat nav directions really. 

P

My late father had two spells with the B.S.M. before going it alone. He brought home lessons he received in the R.A.S.C. to be an instructor in the Western Desert amongst other places. His favourite quote, "Only one tree in 600 miles and everybody hit it!"

Learnt my navigating skills from maps and cycling all over the country,then when I became a sales rep I had to just get on with it no sat navs  in the sixties seventies and eighties still use a map now .The webcam is addictive I find myself looking at least four or five times a day the sea is hypnotic and relaxing.

Yes reading a map is very useful, but sat navs and latterly phones are extremely useful (one evens warns of hold ups) if going to places/addresses you don't know. 

We stayed in a place in Cornwall last year would not have been without it, and if you miss a turn it works out a new route