Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

Yes reading a map is very useful, but sat navs and latterly phones are extremely useful (one evens warns of hold ups) if going to places/addresses you don't know. 

Only if you use them correctly! A friend of mine has managed to:

1) Turn up at an Exhibition Manager's house instead of the venue owing to entering the wrong postcode!

2) When setting out to drive from a hotel to an exhibition venue followed these instructions:

Out of the car park, turn left.

At the next junction, turn left.

Turn left into the car park.

Before he realised he hadn't updated the postcode since arriving at the hotel the night before....

Edited by RJS1977

• RMweb Premium

and if you miss a turn it works out a new route

True, but not always helpful if it's "turn round at the next opportunity" which because of a central reservation or whatever is many miles ahead...

I remember driving solo without sat-nav, and it was something I do not want to repeat. I have a poor memory so trying to remember every turn on a long journey was not an option. Even with a map, after every turn I had to pull off the road to consult it to confirm that I had indeed taken the correct turn as I would never read a map whilst driving, and to try and memorise the next one. I eventually had the idea of writing down all the turnings on a list that I taped on to the back of the sun visor as an aide memoir so I could flip it down and glance at it as quickly as glancing at the mirrors without the need to stop.  So yes I could manage, but it was a bit like managing with an abacus instead of an excel spreadsheet...

I have also found that most times I thought I knew better than the sat-nav, I didn't, and would have been better off following the sat-nav!

True, but not always helpful if it's "turn round at the next opportunity" which because of a central reservation or whatever is many miles ahead...

Mine seems to be pretty good in that respect, it knows where the gaps in the central reservation are, and will either say 'in 800 yards make a U turn' or just direct me off at the next junction and round the roundabout or whatever. It generally only says 'turn round at the next opportunity' if you have entered a dead end, or all the roads (if any) leading off your road are dead ends or no through route for some distance, which normally only applies on single carriageways.

Further to this info, I have heard that installation of the webcam cost £5000 and we see the image 15 seconds after it has happened as the signal is routed via America!

I guess that explains why the track router is slightly ahead of the camera.

It also probably explains why occasionally when a lot of users are watching, it can pause (it is a popular misconception that there is unlimited broadband connectivity between the UK and USA).

That said these are only minor points, I really appreciate the team who have setup this camera on one of my favourite pieces of line, I often have it on for a while whilst doing work on a second screen :)

• RMweb Gold

My misses had to stray from her usual school/Tescos run the other month.
No problem, the trusty satnav got her to the next town for her employers training session/update/waste of time meeting with no problems.
Meeting over with, she sets off back only to discover the batteries had died in the satnav.

She was besides herself with panic and worry.

But my girls initiative came up trumps when she spotted a bus going to our town centre.

Saved, she thought, and sets off behind it.

Only to stop every time it stopped!

Wait whenever it waited.
She says she even went round two housing estates.
I literally do not know how many bus lanes she abused!
(Luckily, no nasty surprises came in the post this month.)

Kev.

• Like 1

Ha! Just seen this go onto the depot at Exeter for fuel!

Hi

Couple of questions for you

Are the guys installing a permanent fence along the walkway under repair & seen from the Dawlish beach camera?

How will the containers & contents be removed when cut-up, and when will that be?

Thanks

..........(it is a popular misconception that there is unlimited broadband connectivity between the UK and USA).

And if that connectivity is by cable,

then it is likely that cable is running in the cabling duct

by the side of the track in front of that livecam!!!!!

Porthcurnow comes to mind

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Gold

Does any of the steam stop in the Warren loop

or just pass through?

Unfortunately (from the point of view that the organisers wanted a non-stop run from Plymouth to Bristol TM) the 1510 Plymouth to Solihull on Saturday is scheduled to stop in Dawlish Warren from 1605 to 1615, to allow another train to pass. Provided everything is running on time, this is what is likely to happen, but if there is any chance of a clear run through the Warren, the steam special is likely to run through non-stop...

The other steam special today, and the Western on Saturday, are not booked to stop at Dawlish Warren.

Don't forget that there is steam over the Sea Wall tomorrow and Saturday, plus D1015 on Saturday.

Today (5029 Nunney Castle):

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t14/t0509b.htm; Down: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54923/2014/05/09//advanced; Up: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54924/2014/05/09//advanced

Saturday (D1015 on down and 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe on up):

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t14/t0510c.htm; Down: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50572/2014/05/10/advanced; Up: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50567/2014/05/10/advanced

Edited by BR(S)