Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Is there a billiard table nearby?

Coat, got. Door, out of.

I baulked at that comment ;)

CK has his hands well and truly full at the moment.  As if Dawlish was not enough - whether or not the container wall has shifted and / or more sea wall has been claimed by the latest storm - Penzance station is flooded to platform height (depth?) meaning no trains are running in Cornwall for now and no road replacement can be offered owing to the condition of most roads in the area.  FGW has advised that "anyone waiting on platforms should make alternative arrangements for travel"

We might wonder when this will all end.  When it does I have every confidence in being able to travel on a superbly rebuilt railway with a little more inbuilt resilience than it had before.

• Like 2

The containers shifting would be bad, another section washing out may be worse. Both are bad.

Another (small) section of the wall has collapsed (you can make out the track hanging over the end), the containers have stood up to the onslaught really well.

Just listened to the latest news from Radio Devon. Many road closures due to fallen trees and flooding. 5,000 homes without power in the SW, mainly around Taunton and, sadly, the sea wall has been breached at Dawlish. Also, 50 residents on Dawlish seafront have been evacuated.
There was also mention of the loss of two lives due to the weather.

After a noisy night here, the wind does seem to be a little less strong at the moment. Good luck to CK and his team continuing their sterling work in such abysmal conditions.

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Premium

I doubt CK will get his deposit back on the containers!

Goes to show again just how powerful the sea can be. All the best to all working in testing conditions, battling the weather and,I'm guessing, no end of paperwork.

As I see it, they were put there to take the worst out of the waves before they hit the sea wall, & from that aspect they've done very well indeed. Good thinking. Let's now hope that the weather has moderated sufficiently to allow CK et al to crack on with their repairs.

I'm a little concerned that I heard a Met Office person say that the storm of yesterday looked to be the last for "a while" on R4.

There's a large storm leaving the Canadian Maritimes today. That may well go way to the north of the Channel but I'm worried about another one (that looks mild in comparison to the East Coast of the USA) which will be passing thru the New York area today - it looks very much like it will explode in intensity when it gets over the Gulf Stream. The NOAA have already posted Hurricane Force warnings for 300 miles out to sea.

It's as well to remain vigilant.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Sorry the "National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration" of the USA.

Edited by trisonic

Mogman1969 - if you are going to contribute to this or any topic please at least make it coherent; then we have a fighting chance of seeing whether or not it's helpful or relevant.  From what I could see it was mostly just ranting and repeating of comments we've had several time already.

For everyone else, I've deleted this and subsequent 'what?' posts to declutter the thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking carefully at the webcam picture there appears to have been about 30' of seawall washed out leaving the down track hanging. but the up line doesn't appear to be undermined.  The seawall parapet also seems to have been damaged all the way out of camera shot.  The containers have taken a real battering but seem to have held though with buckled tops.   Hopefully this will allow some reinforcement to take place in the coming week.  We might well see another couple of containers put in place.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

No offence, I understand the reasoning behind it, but selective removal of contributions borders on censorship. The edge of the sword is very, very sharp... :bomb_mini:

It's happened since the beginning of this forum and is simply a case of management of contributions (and occasionally contributors) for the benefit and convenience of the majority. 

I'm a little concerned that I heard a Met Office person say that the storm of yesterday looked to be the last for "a while" on R4.

There's a large storm leaving the Canadian Maritimes today. That may well go way to the north of the Channel but I'm worried about another one (that looks mild in comparison to the East Coast of the USA) which will be passing thru the New York area today - it looks very much like it will explode in intensity when it gets over the Gulf Stream. The NOAA have already posted Hurricane Force warnings for 300 miles out to sea.

Best, Pete.

'For a while' seems to mean two days off rather than one.  BBC pressure charts for the Atlantic suggest the next will hit us on Monday, but at nothing like the intensity, and the one after that is shown as heading further north nearer Iceland, which is where they normally go, with a ridge of higher pressure developing over Newfoundland on Wednesday.  I don't know if this is just a blip or is indicative of some shift in the jetstream further north.  If it is, conditions in the US should also be improving, we'll just have to see.

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

The Met office in the UK is very much basing it's predictions on the state of the Jet stream and the relative positions of warm and cold air masses.

Apparantly the large dip over the US which is dragging in the cold air is expected to recede as relatively warmer air pushes up from the Gulf.

This is likely to cause a change of course for the Jet stream (which also currently has a large dip over the UK) and possibly move it northwards in both cases and also reduce it's velocity (around 300mph at the present!)

This would mean the low pressure systems which have been the bane of the UK this winter would return to their normal course further north as they cross the Atlantic.

As a result of this the intensity of the storms would also diminish compared to what they are at present.

In a week or so we will be able to judge whether they got it right!

Regards

Keith

The Met office in the UK is very much basing it's predictions on the state of the Jet stream and the relative positions of warm and cold air masses.

Oh good! Time to get the deck chairs out on Dawlish beach to watch the funny men in orange throwing stones around :no: I have very little faith in the Met Office - though at least they are closer to the weather now they are no longer in Bracknell where looking out of the window might have produced better results than staring at their expensive computer predictions.

What must always be borne in mind is that even with computer modelling, weather prediction is still an inexact science. Compound that with what the jet stream is doing at present & it does make any form of forecasting problematic, to say the least.

What did I say in the final sentence of my last post?

According to the data over here the jet stream will not alter significantly  until Wednesday at the earliest. 

Looking for the "Silver Lining" can get people hurt. Alternatively, if it makes anyone "feel" better....

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/qdtm86bw.gif

Best, Pete.

Edit: Add 48 hour forecast for Atlantic.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Many more years ago than I care to remember, Control used to get a 1 2 3 weather forecast from the Met office (1= snow, 2= frost 3= fog) It was to help us gcall out the required staff (remember those days when such a luxury existed). One night I took the call and was told 1nil 2nil 3nil. At that moment there was 6" of snow on the ground and a blizzard blowing. My gentle and courteous comment (Controllers were renowned for their charm) to the actual facts resulted in "wait a moment". There was the distinct sound of a window opening. A cheerful voice the announced ..... "here is an amended forecast".

If only we could go back to the innocence and fun of those days.

Mike

• Like 2

Oh good! Time to get the deck chairs out on Dawlish beach to watch the funny men in orange throwing stones around :no: I have very little faith in the Met Office - though at least they are closer to the weather now they are no longer in Bracknell where looking out of the window might have produced better results than staring at their expensive computer predictions.

That's odd. I've noticed how accurate the Met Office's expensive computer predictions have been throughout the recent chain of storms. Last night's was in the five day forecast  several days ahead and the windspeeds were within about five knots of the forecasts. They also gave very accurate and timely warning of the storm surge in early December and you might want to compare that with the lack of an accurate forecast of the similar surge in 1953 when computer modelling wasn't available.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I could tell quite a few amusing anecdotes from my 6 years at the Met Office, but that would probably take the thread far enough off topic to get it locked again....

But you could start a new thread in Wheeltappers. I think there are a number of people on here with a genuine interest in meteorology who would be pleased to hear more from the inside.

• RMweb Premium

The network rail photo in Trevor's link seems to show that extra stone has been added to the containers today, I guess to help weigh them down more.