Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

Oh there are, just not in construction!,

Heres a thought if you or I were to do this amount of work, even for repair, we would have council employees crawling all over us for planning permissions demanding we STOP (what ever the danger to property). until building regs and planning had wound there intermidable way through the council. I take it this will be a case of do it now and get retrospective after!!

The Q.

The work would be covered under permitted development rules.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly, the cement mixer 'doing the business' is right up on the main road, with a long pipe coming down the steps between Sea Lawn Terrace and Riviera Terrace, and then connected to the big 'spidery' type thing (another technical term), and thus down into the hole. My photos (to be uploaded later, visiting relatives permitting) will make all that clear.

The big 'spidery' crane is probably going to need a major overhaul from the long term exposure to the salt air, by the time this lot is finished! Perhaps by the time the extended hire period, at short notice is over, the owner won't care!

The big 'spidery' crane is probably going to need a major overhaul from the long term exposure to the salt air, by the time this lot is finished! Perhaps by the time the extended hire period, at short notice is over, the owner won't care!

From the webcam views, that "Giraffe" concrete pump has been there for over a week and was sat there all through the last big storm at the end of last week. I imagine it had a good dowsing of sea water and salt spray during that time.

• RMweb Gold

There is indeed a closer view of that "row of whatevers" (I wonder if you can ask for them at Travis Perkins?) in the photos you linked to Mike.    Click Here.

This view gives a different perspective to the relative size and height of the containers, compared with the sea wall.

Other interesting photos...

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/0/72/4294967297/2147483713/30064774313/30064774306/30064774314/fa7ce2c8-d9ab-48c4-8840-69d226213ac1.png

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/0/72/4294967297/2147483713/30064774313/30064774306/30064774314/1504e68e-b7b1-473e-b9b5-36345bad5b42.png

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/0/72/4294967297/2147483713/30064774313/30064774306/30064774314/8666206d-e1c6-4afa-935d-6f6fd56299f2.png

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/0/72/4294967297/2147483713/30064774313/30064774306/30064774314/ed554fd3-c8ec-4010-98dd-278e13eac489.png

Well, that's six photos I don't need to post up on here separately!! :lol:

The 'Spidery crane' is a concrete pump, in normal use they are just a HIAB type of hydraulic arm with a large diameter pipe attached, all mounted on a lorry. At the back of the lorry is a hopper to which a concrete mixer lorry backs up and discharges concrete down its chute into the big box at the rear. In this case it looks as if they may have 'daisy chained' a couple together to keep the discharging concrete mixers off the main work area, (the big red pipe), or they may even be mixing on site to allow them to have concrete on tap, without having to keep a plant open at all hours.

I didn't notice any holes being dug in earlier photos but suspect the vertical pipes are piles of some sort to give some anchoring into the ground of the finished structure.

What was interesting, on revisiting the photo's, was the

"row of whatevers" (I wonder if you can ask for them at Travis Perkins?) in the photos you linked to Mike.    Click Here.

it looks to me like a further bit of someone at NR thinking outside the box. I think they are the concrete bollards used in temporary motorway works to keep traffic separated from the public, and to stop out traveling friends for parking up on vacant premises. Looks like they are using them as formwork and will sacrifice them when the main concrete works are concreted. This would account for their looking a bit second hand, and being painted red and white. So you weren't that far out, it's just these guys, not Travis Perkins you need to go to!

http://www.safesitefacilities.co.uk/products/barriers-traffic-management/concrete-barriers/temporary-vertical-concrete-barriers-tvcb/

Another clever solution to the problems, as long as they remember to pay for them, not leave them on hire. :jester:

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 1

........it looks to me like a further bit of someone at NR thinking outside the box. I think they are the concrete bollards used in temporary motorway works to keep traffic separated from the public, and to stop out traveling friends for parking up on vacant premises. ..............

Crikey !

You don't think Pi**ys will turn up overnight and take up camp on this bit of unused railway?

That'll be another 6 months delay while NR have to go through the courts to get them evicted.

• RMweb Premium

The 'Spidery crane' is a concrete pump, in normal use they are just a HIAB type of hydraulic arm with a large diameter pipe attached, all mounted on a lorry. At the back of the lorry is a hopper to which a concrete mixer lorry backs up and discharges concrete down its chute into the big box at the rear. In this case it looks as if they may have 'daisy chained' a couple together to keep the discharging concrete mixers off the main work area, (the big red pipe), or they may even be mixing on site to allow them to have concrete on tap, without having to keep a plant open at all hours.

Thanks for that. Whatever, it sounds like an expensive bit of kit, to be getting wrecked in the weather. Not to mention the fact, that its presumably missing from someone else's booking for another work site.

....Whatever, it sounds like an expensive bit of kit, to be getting wrecked in the weather. Not to mention the fact, that its presumably missing from someone else's booking for another work site.

That's strange, there are few listed as "missing" from various worksites.

Mmmmmm? - just who is doing this work.....?

Did they just happened to we working in the neighbourhood?

Thanks for that. Whatever, it sounds like an expensive bit of kit, to be getting wrecked in the weather. Not to mention the fact, that its presumably missing from someone else's booking for another work site.

This time of year used to be a relatively slack one in construction; I remember dad trying to plan 'indoor' work, to avoid having to pay people off. The wet's no good for groundwork, and frost can cause damage to concrete going off, so it's quite likely the machine would otherwise have been sat idle.

• RMweb Gold

Concrete pumps seem to be relatively easy things to get hold of on hire although advance booking usually pays.  What worries me about the one there is what happens when they clean it using the usual method as the process involves pumping water through it and then pumping through a sort of foam rubber football which is a tight fit and thus cleans the bore of the pipes.  Every time I see the pics of the concrete pumps I have a vision of umpteen 'lost balls' floating out into Torbay or fetching up on the beach at Exmouth.

Does anyone know if they're putting reinforcement in the concrete?  Usually that sort of mass of concrete would seem to have several layers of large mesh reinforcement in it - I even put one layer in the foundation I laid for a retaining wall in our back garden :O 

Go Ahead Oxford are down here with about 10 coaches on RR services plus lots of local operators working mostley Plymouth Tiverton as this is quicker than the alternatives. The Oxford drivers are put up in the 4* Copthorne Hotel.

SS

Cool. That's where they were on about putting us up (we're also Go-Ahead). I didn't manage to get through to the office today so I might try next week. I don't think we're supplying any buses though because we don't really have any to spare.

I did manage to get some Brighton - Three Bridges rail work for March 2nd though.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

Them containers look a little battered about a bit (!) - hope they don't have to return them... :jester:

Blame James May.

They should have kept them boxes in pristine condition, for when they sell on the HST's in a few years time.

The HST's won't be worth half of what they would have been in the original packaging.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Concrete pumps seem to be relatively easy things to get hold of on hire although advance booking usually pays.  What worries me about the one there is what happens when they clean it using the usual method as the process involves pumping water through it and then pumping through a sort of foam rubber football which is a tight fit and thus cleans the bore of the pipes.  Every time I see the pics of the concrete pumps I have a vision of umpteen 'lost balls' floating out into Torbay or fetching up on the beach at Exmouth.

Does anyone know if they're putting reinforcement in the concrete?  Usually that sort of mass of concrete would seem to have several layers of large mesh reinforcement in it - I even put one layer in the foundation I laid for a retaining wall in our back garden :O 

I wonder how much glue they're putting in that wall. And how big the bottles of PVA they're using are.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of my former bosses, a civil engineer who is now a railway author, told me about watching an early implementation of pumped concrete, somewhere near Neasden. As Mike says, at the end of operations, the pipe needed to be cleaned, and they were going to deploy the "ferret". As the word went around about this, he swore he saw strong Irish navvies cross themselves and roll their eyes. Then he saw why - the ferret was a ball of barbed wire. This seemed to be placed in the breach, the pump run up, and then the chamber was opened. He believed it was last seen in the sky headed for Wembley Stadium........ NR, being a reputable concern, will be deploying something more civilised, I feel sure.

Meanwhile, things are fairly quiet along the coast in Teignmouth. Couldn't they have found room for 'damage' on the first screen?

post-6669-0-02526600-1392916145.jpg

post-6669-0-76093800-1392916146.jpg

post-6669-0-47792800-1392916148.jpg

post-6669-0-57599100-1392916150.jpg

post-6669-0-44457500-1392916162.jpg

The sea wall is completely closed off while repairs are carried out. I must have been one of the last people on it a couple of weeks back before it was shut (post #451).

post-6669-0-68108000-1392916153.jpg

post-6669-0-04952700-1392916158.jpg

Edited by 10800
  • Like 4

logic reasons that the above closed staion pics scream - good time to revamp the stations like platform edge line and any other work needed, so as not to interrupt rail / passenger services. But there again we don't live in a logical world these days and the matter of getting rail staff in from else where to do the work. A good job they don't do it like roads as they would repair all the lines signals and two weeks later after full service running close all the stations for full modernisation.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone put an application in when all done to turn the battered containers in to some retro beach huts, never say never as an extra tourist spot.