Washout at Dawlish

Guest Belgian

logic reasons that the above closed staion pics scream - good time to revamp the stations like platform edge line and any other work needed, so as not to interrupt rail / passenger services. But there again we don't live in a logical world these days and the matter of getting rail staff in from else where to do the work. A good job they don't do it like roads as they would repair all the lines signals and two weeks later after full service running close all the stations for full modernisation.

Is it not possible that 'other rail staff' might have their hands full with trying to repair damage elsewhere? Dawlish may be important but others may think that other places are important as well. I don't think criticism of Network Rail's astonishing response is helping matters.

JE

Is it not possible that 'other rail staff' might have their hands full with trying to repair damage elsewhere? Dawlish may be important but others may think that other places are important as well. I don't think criticism of Network Rail's astonishing response is helping matters.

JE

I`m sorry if I gave the wrong impression there as I said in an ideal logical world this would be a good time to do any station revamp modernization while the lines were closed, yes there`s all the other south west rail problems like Somerset levels and the south west area. There is also the several land slips around the UK rail network and putting aside any problems the weather problems caused, there is/ was all the previous rail network upgrading / maintenance being carried out, some of it will be held back to sort recent problems out and other parts that cant be interrupted and work goes on.

so as I said in a normal logical world staff would be moved about to help sort these problems out, but if you look at the whole of the UK and see what network rail are doing at the moment, there up to their ears deep in work and problems and as the tread shows they get stuck in come hell or high water and crack on with it.

You cant get or beat a more determined work force then that, they all deserve a medal so far at this early start to the year,  but you can bet all they would say is

" I was just doing my job " 

• Like 1

I would agree that the 'sticky up things' are a form of piling as they are too deep to be drains. When I conducted a track and drainage survey along this line back in 2005/6 the drains were either side of the tracks and there were outlets via the sea wall side. I did  wonder if during the storm as to whether water had swelled up through the wall via these drainage outlets and had started to dislodge the track formation as there are several of the drainage pipes scattered on top of the track formation in earlier photo's. . From the photos of the damage to the upper part of the sea wall the high tide and tidal surge has obviously hit the sea defences well above the normal height.

• RMweb Premium

I assume that the 2 guys stood by the barrier are security. If so they are a prime example of H & S gone mad. There seems little point wearing self inflating life jacket in a car park.

(If they have been working on the wall in a location where there would be the potential to fall into the water then these jackets are more understandable).

Them containers look a little battered about a bit (!) - hope they don't have to return them... :jester:

It quite amazing how easy it would be to repair them back in to normal service, it just depends on which container storage base they get sent back to and onsite facilities they have for container repairs. I have come across far worse and its just a matter of cut, add new and weld or cut the good bits off like all the corner posts for spare parts.  they can take extreme abuse and be rebuilt and as strong as new.

• RMweb Gold

I assume that the 2 guys stood by the barrier are security. If so they are a prime example of H & S gone mad. There seems little point wearing self inflating life jacket in a car park.

(If they have been working on the wall in a location where there would be the potential to fall into the water then these jackets are more understandable).

Why worry about it? Do self inflating life jackets pose some other sort of risk? How do you know they were going to monitor security in a car park for their entire shift?

Why worry about it? Do self inflating life jackets pose some other sort of risk? How do you know they were going to monitor security in a car park for their entire shift?

That explains things earlier when CK said he was lucky not to be caught on the site cam screen crab I did, in other words he was dodging a parking ticket :jester:

Edited by yorkie_pudd

Does anyone know if they're putting reinforcement in the concrete? Usually that sort of mass of concrete would seem to have several layers of large mesh reinforcement in it - I even put one layer in the foundation I laid for a retaining wall in our back garden :O

Putting on my hat from my former career... You only need to add reinforcement to concrete where it is under tension ie. a more structural type situation. The concrete that's gone in so far looks like it's more of a fill than a slab. Any loads that are transferred into that concrete are well distributed and transferred straight onto the ground below. You won't get any tension and therefore don't need any reinforcement.

Not a car park, apart from staff vehicles -this is the access point to the sea wall.

• RMweb Premium

It quite amazing how easy it would be to repair them back in to normal service, it just depends on which container storage base they get sent back to and onsite facilities they have for container repairs. I have come across far worse and its just a matter of cut, add new and weld or cut the good bits off like all the corner posts for spare parts.  they can take extreme abuse and be rebuilt and as strong as new.

A fellow member of my local model railway club drives containers around the country for a living. He comes in on odd occasions with photos of damaged containers. How anyone can manage to fold a container back on itself or impart a twist in one of about 120 degrees is beyond me (both 40-footers).

It is normal to add mesh to mass concrete even if it is only expected to be in compression.  This is to help guard against cracking formed by differential settlement, etc .......

A lot depends on the way the concrete is laid and how the underlying surface is expected to behave.  Joints between mass concrete pours are another area of possible detail differences.

It is normal to add mesh to mass concrete even if it is only expected to be in compression.  This is to help guard against cracking formed by differential settlement, etc .......

A lot depends on the way the concrete is laid and how the underlying surface is expected to behave.  Joints between mass concrete pours are another area of possible detail differences.

I thought I saw some mesh going down before yesterday's pour commenced. It also looks as if there is a vertical mesh at the front of the wall.

Latest screen pic of work in action

more concrete laid as near to top of pipes now

post-14408-0-39155200-1392973541.jpg

A fellow member of my local model railway club drives containers around the country for a living. He comes in on odd occasions with photos of damaged containers. How anyone can manage to fold a container back on itself or impart a twist in one of about 120 degrees is beyond me (both 40-footers).

yes at times I`ve been staggered at the damage I`ve come across and thought why bother just scrap it. I have taken the note of the box number and been surprised when there it is rebuilt waiting for the next job to do, more amazing is tanks when they get dented or sucked in. which providing they are not split how they slowly pressurise them to blow them back out. In the short term and the amount of containers sat around in yards the easy quick job is to scrap them.

• Like 1

When travelling down to Cornwall on Monday we passed a HST power car (43173 I think), coming up on a low loader on the M5 near Cullompton.

Have there been many such moves to balance the stock since the washout?

cheers 

• RMweb Premium

When travelling down to Cornwall on Monday we passed a HST power car (43173 I think), coming up on a low loader on the M5 near Cullompton.

Have there been many such moves to balance the stock since the washout?

cheers 

Apparently Laira is the main heavy maintenance depot for FGW power cars so FGW are shuttling them from St Phillips Marsh to Laira.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what constitutes "many" but the stock trapped west of Dawlish will need scheduled maintenance from time to time and at least one power car suffered a minor fire requiring more significant attention.  There are some swaps going on and these will surely continue until the through route is reopened.

• RMweb Premium

Latest screen pic of work in action

more concrete laid as near to top of pipes now

attachicon.gifcamputerb86.jpg

After the previous comments about possible salt damage to the big red spider the above picture is interesting.  It looks as if the seaward outrigger legs have been well wrapped in some sort of protective sheathing.  As these are probably telescopic there would like;ly be quite a bit of exposed shiny steel work so people are obviously thinking along the lines of posts in this thread.  Hydraulic pistons with rust pitting wouldn't stay sealed for long.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208