Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

post-57-0-55986100-1395784184.jpg

See - I told you it was Code 100 flexi track ;)

It's seriously starting to look like an operating railway will be delivered on time by 4th April.   The colour scheme at the repainted Dawlish station (no doubt specified by its operator and a copy of what was already there) is dull an uninspiring to my eyes but the fact that it's ben done at all is highly commendable.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Tim, have you per chance made a photo of the gap where the road was (i.e. where the bridge currently resides)? I also notice that the 'land-side' concrete sections in that breach are significantly higher then the surviving retaining wall next to it. Is that going to be cut-down or is the road being raised?

Vincent - as I understand it, some kind of fence will be added to the top of the concrete sections, so that on the reinstated road side, you will have a low wall, and then a fence...

I hope they fence off the glued ballast area so nobody walks on it while the glue is setting. 

Well, I came within a whisker of getting diluted PVA mixed with Johnsons Klear on my boots yesterday, but managed to get away with it!...

It should all have set solid overnight by now.

• Like 2

post-57-0-55986100-1395784184.jpg

See - I told you it was Code 100 flexi track ;)

It's seriously starting to look like an operating railway will be delivered on time by 4th April.   The colour scheme at the repainted Dawlish station (no doubt specified by its operator and a copy of what was already there) is dull an uninspiring to my eyes but the fact that it's ben done at all is highly commendable.

Dawlish station pretty much lacks any character whereas the Victorian Teignmouth station was recently repainted in bright red, green and cream. The roofing stanchions are multi coloured and it looks good. At the back of the station they have painted bolt plates on the wall bright red which looks quite strange. Pairs of red bolt plates and red downpipes on grey granite walls. But in general they have brightened it somewhat.

• Like 1

Probably off topic, but I saw a class 43 on the back of a low loader on the Devon Expressway (A38) today, I was wondering why this might be?

Apologies for my ignorance, but my best guess would be that one of the marooned HSTs needed replacing.

Seems to be almost the opposite of that from the articles i've read - Laira is the main "hub" for HST heavy maintainence, so they are gradually cycling power cars into the West for planned heavy work, rather than out of it!

Seems to be almost the opposite of that from the articles i've read - Laira is the main "hub" for HST heavy maintainence, so they are gradually cycling power cars into the West for planned heavy work, rather than out of it!

But when the work's done haven't they have to returned to service? And as yet there's no rail link, I understand.

• RMweb Premium

Pity they can't run a 'special' to Dawlish on the 4th of April for all the enthusiasts.

Topped and tailed by a pair of Kings on the front and a pair of Westerns on the back by any chance? :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The subject of the West of England mainline made Radio 4's "You And Yours" today. Discussion about alternative routes was featured......the usual from reopening the LSWR route to a new "cut" ,presumably in the Ashburton direction. The transport guru interviewed made the usual socio-economic arguments and that .....wait for it...."new thinking" might be needed in a few years time."Sea Defences " ( barrage?) also given airing. Report to Minister Patrick Mc.in a couple of months. (Sound of ministry desk spike sharpening).Point forcibly brought home re: damaging economic losses sustained due to breach in rail services in an already depressed area..No doubt token noises will be forthcoming from HMG on the matter

Which leaves me asking the question,folks....when much excitement is generated over HS2,why do we neglect a great chunk of the UK and starve it of 21st century rail infrastructure ? I live in an area soon to "benefit" from the "economic regeneration" of a Hissy2 link.by the way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I miss RM web for a day and this thread goes bananas. Many  thanks to all those who have put up the various images, Great stuff.

A big thanks to CK and the crew for all their efforts over the past few weeks to get us re-connected to the rest of the world.

Thanks SS

• RMweb Premium

Probably off topic, but I saw a class 43 on the back of a low loader on the Devon Expressway (A38) today, I was wondering why this might be?

Apologies for my ignorance, but my best guess would be that one of the marooned HSTs needed replacing.

That task has been pretty much on going from quite soon after the line was severed.

Ive seen about half a dozzen PC's and another similar amount of trailer cars on Alleys wagons over the last few weeks going up and down the 38.

Laira also have some of their fitters working and digging away at O.C aswel! :good:

NR are footing the bill for the lot.

With apologies to Wordsworth and poets everywhere:

On the ages old stones of the Dawlish sea wall,

A huge amount of storm driven channel water did fall,

It moved huge stones, wrecked the tracks and caused a massive breach,

The station suffered equally, collapsing on the beach,

The people ahhd and hummed, and looked at the hole that had appeared,

The future of the railway was discussed and the closure that was feared,

Up stepped the Orange army from places near & far,

Lead forward by Captain Kernow a jolly Cornish ex tar,

Protection of the hole was made and work was soon commenced,

The beach was declared 'off limits' and it was duly fenced,

Containers blocked the walkways and security was installed,

Concrete was pumped by a red spidery thing and they built up L-shaped walls,

The Captain kept control of things, he wandered oft the tracks,

Photos taken by his fair hand as a 'buzzy whirly thing' watched his back,

The Orange Army carried on filling in the breach,

Cap'n Kernow, pasty in hand, strode along the beach,

'The land may fall' the Cap'n heard and off he was seen to go,

Arranging to pump water down and up from down below,

The ballast was turned deepest red which washed onto the beach,

The captain had another idea and for the glue did reach,

"The ballast here at Dawlish must be really well secured",

So along came tanks of fixative, the Orange Army poured,

The track was relaid and fencing put, to keep the people safe,

The Captain and his army were watched, by a 'buzzy whirly' strafe,

The Tee-shirts made, the pasties baked, the ribbon put in place,

Kernow and his army, marched, proud smiles on every face.

.......I'll get me jacket ................

• Like 7