RMweb

Dapol silver bullets

(The) Youth

• RMweb Gold

Now am I getting these confused with something else or didn't these also spend some time in ECC Blue livery? If so, any intention of producing these at any time in the future Dave ?

In the meantime, I will be snapping some up as soon as they're available and will be weathering them immediately as the reflection of my face is bad enough without it being distorted by those curves!

The ECC Blue ones were a different design of tank.

I think they are too Chrome (if that's possible), but please let me know what you all think via this forum, and we'll go with the concensus.

Personally I agree they are a bit on the shiny side. Reflections are one of those things that do not scale well and tend to break the illusion with models. It is the same way that most modellers prefer a satin finish even if it is an ex-works loco that would have been glossy in real life.

However they are a bit too modern for me and I probably won't be getting them so feel free to ignore my vote if it goes against the concensus.

Personally I agree they are a bit on the shiny side. Reflections are one of those things that do not scale well and tend to break the illusion with models. It is the same way that most modellers prefer a satin finish even if it is an ex-works loco that would have been glossy in real life.

However they are a bit too modern for me and I probably won't be getting them so feel free to ignore my vote if it goes against the concensus.

Personally , i tend to think the other way - a satin finish on a model looks odd - if you scaled it up to full size the paint finish would be like orange peel -

more so with matt finish.

most models look more like mass produced plastic than lumps of metal because they arent glossy enough - especially steam locos .

Id say the more shine the better!

tfn

[Paranoia] I'm sure I'm being watched, I start scratchbuilding two more silver bullets at Scaleforum in September last year and within weeks the model was announced. I then finally get as far as lettering the last one this week, and no sooner have I done that, but first test shots appear - spooky... :icon_mutter: [/Paranoia] If I don't finish the bogie on the last one, and set up the coupler pockets, will that delay the Dapol ones 'til after Christmas? :icon_frustrated:

post-336-1256848355035_thumb.jpg

It takes quite a lot of courage to weather them, which is why I chickened out and asked fellow DEMU member Mark Lambert to do the dirty on the three that another DEMU member, Roget Tuke, had built for me from my resin castings :icon_clap:

post-336-12568483670578_thumb.jpg

Perhaps not a good as Dapol's effort should be, but I won't be changing my fleet. :icon_e_biggrin:

jon

These look excellent - well worth the effort you put into them - If you were to put these on eBay - they'd be snapped up like hot cakes.

Hi everyone,

Just in from the 'Chromers' the first 2 samples of Silver Bullet for you all to mull over for a bit.rolleyes.gif

I think they are too Chrome (if that's possible), but please let me know what you all think via this forum, and we'll go with the concensus.

They are on our home page. www.Dapol.co.uk

Cheers

Dave

Hmmm - I would agree - as photographed the chrome needs just a very subtle tone down (mainly to mitigate the non-scale reflections as another poster has pointed out) - What do they look like at the 3' viewing distance though cos close-up as in the sample photos just might not be doing them justice ??

Personally , i tend to think the other way - a satin finish on a model looks odd - if you scaled it up to full size the paint finish would be like orange peel - more so with matt finish. most models look more like mass produced plastic than lumps of metal because they arent glossy enough - especially steam locos . Id say the more shine the better!

Actually there is an effect of distance on colour and shine (from gloss) which is that they diminish over distance - so our models should not be as glossy as the real thing when seen from the same (normal) viewing distance. We need to replicate that diminishing effect at scale distances by using scaled colour and gloss;

http://www.naplak.com/articles/tips/paint/distance.htm

So I say less shine to get the correct scale effect. Especially in N gauge as when looking at the model from three feet away is the scale equivalent of about 150 yards where the effect would significantly reduce the gloss shine.

G.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick 'heads up' for those interested.

I have uploaded pictures of the 'master' weathered Silver Bullet wagon in OO gauge to the Dapol web site Home page. www.Dapol.co.uk

This was created for us by Mercig Studios as a model for us to use when spraying our production models, and as such the finished item should look very close to this finish.

Please remember they are being produced exclusively for Kernow Model Railway centre and will not be available through other parties.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Blimey!

A rtr model with decent weathering! What ever next?

Cheers

Jim

Careful, that's a hand weathered example for the factory to attempt to copy for the RTR examples. Its always possibly the factory get it wrong ;). However its very commendable of Dapol to take this step and attempt to at least try and get the best factory applied weathering possible and not just do the usual one colour blat with an airbrush :). Hopefully the effort will pay off and final RTR examples will look just as superb.

looks very nice but.... if i'm not mistaken that weathering is on a black (non chrome) sample model. How will the weathering 'key' to a chromed barrel? will the weathering be able to stand the rigors of exhibition life? If it can, great but if it can't, it's going to look a little shabby.

FWIW I think this model has a great future inpact on the hobby but maybe it needs to come out in chrome as a newish example, dull silver as a used example and filthy as a prototypical recent example, just a thought....

• RMweb Premium

looks very nice but.... if i'm not mistaken that weathering is on a black (non chrome) sample model. How will the weathering 'key' to a chromed barrel? will the weathering be able to stand the rigors of exhibition life? If it can, great but if it can't, it's going to look a little shabby.

FWIW I think this model has a great future inpact on the hobby but maybe it needs to come out in chrome as a newish example, dull silver as a used example and filthy as a prototypical recent example, just a thought....

Hi

According to the Dapol website the wagon was supplied finished in Chrome but without the decorations (markings).

Cheers

Paul

As Paul states, Dapol said the weathering was applied to a chrome body and its also hand weathered don't forget.

This model is for a limited edition for Kernow, the standard release is in fresh chrome I believe. An airbrush spray of misted grey may tone down the 'new' look if needed.

• RMweb Gold

I saw the post by Dave that it was a chromed model but the pics do look like it is weathered on a black base, was this typical of how these earlier bullets ended up looking? The ends definitely look black same as the chassis.

The ones I'm familiar with tended to end up brown with a hint of the silver showing underneath. Dapols factory weathering on the MCAs looks very good so I would expect a fairly close copy of this if they are anything to go by.

Now if I buy some of these will they do the later ones too? wink.gif

Just to confirm that the model was supplied to me fully chromed with the weathering based on prototype photos that had no underlying silver showing through. Although not the photos that I worked from you can get a good idea of how the tankers went from pristine to dirty from these photos:

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c814284.html

The model really is excellent the detail is spot on and the chrome gives the model a real feeling of weight and authenticity that I have yet to see on any other RTR wagon, just hoping that the N Gauge version will be as good as the 00 model.

Hi everyone,

Tust another 'heads up' to let you all know that the first factory finished 'clean' + 'weathered' OO gauge Silver Bullets are on display on our web site right now. www.Dapol.co.uk

I sincerely hope you all like them. wink.gif

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Tust another 'heads up' to let you all know that the first factory finished 'clean' + 'weathered' OO gauge Silver Bullets are on display on our web site right now. www.Dapol.co.uk

I sincerely hope you all like them. wink.gif

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Me like... but I'm wanting a nice clean one. Is the 'shine' issue sorted (i.e. the level of reflection) Mr DD?

Given my earlier reservations about the factory managing a good copy of the prototype hand painted build they really do seem to have excelled themselves there. Its a really superb finish.

What 'shine' issue?

The real things were very shiney

Cheers

Jim

They were but the shadows and reflections don't scale very well and I personally think it still needs toning down a little. People can do this at home though with a little bit of a wash and a light mist. Its not really a model I need but I have bought some modern bits that have a certain unique quality and this may be one of them!