Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Seems to be minus its nameplate in the pic?

According to a picture in "The Colour of Steam - the LNER Pacifics", dated September 1966, BP had a blue nameplate, was still labelled 61B, had white/aluminium paint on smokebox door hinges, buffers etc. and nothing on the buffer beam.

Alan

Can't say for certain Alan without digging deeper however it was minus the railtour special paint accoutrements in July of that year, still with it's nameplates and without the cab side builders plates - Barking Bill has some lovely shots of it here. The 61B plate remained on it even when it returned to Ferryhill. I guess it all depends on what photographs they based the model on.

Bob,

The September '66 "tarting up" must have been for some special run.

Isn't there some doubt about whether she ever did actually get back to 61B Ferryhill?

The bufferbeam "Dundee", no warning flashes on the Bachmann model suggests about 1962 - just after move from Ferryhill. Split handrail on smokebox happened in 1962 - someone will know the exact date.

Alan

by which time it had lost both of it's cab side works plates - see this pic as just one example so they did well in that respect.

The photograph in the link also shows up the missing step on the curved section of the footplate and just how thin the footplate edge is at this point. For me the rendition of the curved footplate is the worst part of the Bachmann model. Some of the minor detail points are things that I can live with and many of us will be adapting for specific locos, but the footplate is just wrong. That and the droopy cab leave me a bit disappointed overall with what is otherwise a great addition and something I personally have waited many, many years for.

On the plus side - there is no problem with the motor (remember the A1 saga) 12 mark 1's round Balbeggie Sidings without any hesitation.

John

The only way for that footplate edge to be any thinner john is if it was made of etched n/s or the like - 3/8" plate scaled and rounded up to 0.13mm and it's finger cutting thin. I don't actually think they've done too bad - is it the depth of the angle supporting the footplate that you think's wrong or the shape of the curve? To be honest if you are going to modify it anyway, that little step shouldn't be any bother to add.

I seem to have struck lucky this time, the cab isn't drooped and everything remains firmly on. Certainly the marginally shinier finish gives it a far better appearance!

The only way for that footplate edge to be any thinner john is if it was made of etched n/s or the like - 3/8" plate scaled and rounded up to 0.13mm and it's finger cutting thin. I don't actually think they've done too bad - is it the depth of the angle supporting the footplate that you think's wrong or the shape of the curve? To be honest if you are going to modify it anyway, that little step shouldn't be any bother to add.

I've added the step and its very simple. The question though is why when they seem to have worked to photographs did Bachmann miss it. And all of the reviewers in the magazines appear to have also. As for the footplate I understand the difficulty of manufacture and its not the thickness of the plate but the fact that the vertical member supporting the footplate on the prototype does not follow the edge of the footplate as it falls down to the cab floor. It means that the vertical member is further inboard for want of a better expression, during the sweep down. I think it is made worse by the fact that the lining on the model is very noticeable.

I know it is a detail but it is something that catches my eye, as the graceful curve down past the firebox is quite a signature of this handsome class.

John

Just recieved my first BP & its already been converted to Suger Palm ! I'm taking it down to the Railway Club tonight to give it a run on the club layout. I have fitted a Lenz new standard decoder which are very good but will probably have to do a bit of fine tuning to get it running perfect. I will post pictures when I get it all finished. Jobs to do : paint top of tender BR Green, remove lining from cylinders, fit add-ons & most strange fit works plates under cab numbers. For some reason Bachmann have not fitted them. Other loco's I am doing are 60533 'Happy Knight' 36A Doncaster, 60538 'Velocity' 52B Heaton & 60539 'Bronzino' 52B Heaton (using Bachelors Button) All these loco's along with lots of other East Coast Pacifics can be seen on my layout 'Haymarket Cross' at the Doncaster Model Railway show 13/14th Feb 2011 so come along & have a chat with us.

cheers

silverlink

Am happily modifying a couple more Blue Peters & on inspecting LE certificates note on one its in the 1700's & the other 2500's. Qustion here is did Bachman say it was producing 1000? or was it someone else. Personally I'm not bothered as it means more of them which will hopefully keep price down a bit. Does anyone know how many Bachmann said they were going to release.

cheers

silverlink

If they are producing 300 does this qualify as a limited edition? Not that I'm that worried - and my Wife likes the box too! :D

300 or 3000 (which it is) it doesn't matter - as long as it's limited quantity in issue to that spec (which of course could include the box as well). The NRM Deltic is perhaps a case in point of changing quantities!

I seem to have struck lucky this time, the cab isn't drooped and everything remains firmly on. Certainly the marginally shinier finish gives it a far better appearance!

Bob-65b

Any chance of a couple of pics (Side on, low angle) of your running-plate cartazzi truck interface so that we can see how a non-droopy cab lines up? My guess is that it 'hovers' above the cartazzi casting, but would like to see a real example before adjusting mine!

Thanks and greetings of the season one and all.

Alpha Fox

Couldn't resist and paid for it. It certainly isn't as straight as I thought on looking at it last night fresh out the box!

post-6691-0-23851200-1293230837_thumb.jpg

Nice gap at the back of the firebox.....sad.gif

and alongside it's neighbour

post-6691-0-80801100-1293230879_thumb.jpg

I'll certainly be interested to see what mods get done to correct this. It would appear the back ends getting pulled down somehow.

Cheers Bob! I had the same problem. Looked perfect at first sight. Then under careful examination... Maybe we're all being too fussy?

Cab rear does look *slightly* higher than the A1, which is probably a good think. I haven't had the courage to take the body off mine, for fear of it not going back correctly...

And a seasonal offering for everyone, my video review of BP. I was up against the clock memory wise, so bit rushed, and some items not addressed as thoroughly as I would have liked.

Enjoy if you've got a spare 8 minutes.

Just recieved my first BP & its already been converted to Suger Palm ! I'm taking it down to the Railway Club tonight to give it a run on the club layout. I have fitted a Lenz new standard decoder which are very good but will probably have to do a bit of fine tuning to get it running perfect. I will post pictures when I get it all finished. Jobs to do : paint top of tender BR Green, remove lining from cylinders, fit add-ons & most strange fit works plates under cab numbers. For some reason Bachmann have not fitted them. Other loco's I am doing are 60533 'Happy Knight' 36A Doncaster, 60538 'Velocity' 52B Heaton & 60539 'Bronzino' 52B Heaton (using Bachelors Button) All these loco's along with lots of other East Coast Pacifics can be seen on my layout 'Haymarket Cross' at the Doncaster Model Railway show 13/14th Feb 2011 so come along & have a chat with us.

cheers

silverlink

Here are my first pictures of these loco's, still got a bit of work to do which in the main is a little light weathering. You will see the modified smokebox on Suger Palm & Velocity (one piece handrail) & as comes with BP on Happy Knight. New numbers & shedplates off course. They are done as running late 1961 early 1962.

Cheers

Ian H

(silverlink)

post-4401-0-31290800-1293368473_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-47345200-1293368505_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-27749800-1293368532_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-48309400-1293368552_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-07145600-1293368581_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-30749600-1293368601_thumb.jpg

There Top Notch conversions Silver Link,but then why am I not surprised. I have to say I am little surprised by the critiscism of what is after all a Ready To Run Lcoc that as recentley as 2004'ish we would all have killed for

,well almost if you get my drift.

Regards to All especially the Scarborough Flyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't resist and paid for it. It certainly isn't as straight as I thought on looking at it last night fresh out the box!

post-6691-0-23851200-1293230837_thumb.jpg

Nice gap at the back of the firebox.....sad.gif

and alongside it's neighbour

post-6691-0-80801100-1293230879_thumb.jpg

I'll certainly be interested to see what mods get done to correct this. It would appear the back ends getting pulled down somehow.

I think that the pipe and rod on the A1 firebox rhs should also be present on the A2.

Also, whereas the inspection covers on the A1 are underscale, those on the A2 seem slightly overscale and should they really be oval? Of course, they seem oval in any broadside drawing, but I believe they are circular in reality

Alan

Here are my first pictures of these loco's, still got a bit of work to do which in the main is a little light weathering. You will see the modified smokebox on Suger Palm & Velocity (one piece handrail) & as comes with BP on Happy Knight. New numbers & shedplates off course. They are done as running late 1961 early 1962.

Cheers

Ian H

(silverlink)

Silverlink, what did you do to Velocity to get the cylinders at the correct slight incline? They appear to be inclined the wrong way on the other two, and my BP is distinctly horizontal! Velocity really looks beautiful