Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

I think it could be a good thing that we now have two manufacturers producing the Adams Radial. Yes I know its "duplication", but one company may perhaps produce a model more highly detailed though perhaps more expensive than the other company. The result being that both camps are happy. The modeller and the dare I say collector, who doesn't mind paying more and the budget restricted modeller who doesn't mind less detail.

By the way, there were a total of seventy one 0415 Class Radials built, Three survived into BR ownership. There are thus several versions of livery to choose from, LSWR, Southern Railway, and British Railways. Should keep a lot of people happy.

Cheers,

Chris

Some people will be happy with the pre-grouping releases surely. There seems to be more and more pre-grouping models appearing.

I am very happy. There are plenty of prergrouping locos, coaches and wagons in preservation to inform those who are not fortunate enough to have seen them in service. There is the added advantage that many of the pre-grouping liveries were quite attractive!

• RMweb Premium

I think it could be a good thing that we now have two manufacturers producing the Adams Radial. Yes I know its "duplication", but one company may perhaps produce a model more highly detailed though perhaps more expensive than the other company. The result being that both camps are happy. The modeller and the dare I say collector, who doesn't mind paying more and the budget restricted modeller who doesn't mind less detail.

By the way, there were a total of seventy one 0415 Class Radials built, Three survived into BR ownership. There are thus several versions of livery to choose from, LSWR, Southern Railway, and British Railways. Should keep a lot of people happy.

Cheers,

Chris

I get what yo are saying, but there may have been a confidentiality agreement (CDA) preventing people from revealing it had been scanned by an interested party

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised by the 71 and Adams Radial as you'd obviously need the owners permission to have access to scan it (preferably with the brakes off),

Who says they need to scan it?

Just because several recent releases have been scanned, it doesn't mean they always have to be, else we wouldn't get any models of non existent prototypes.

e.g. Which P2 was scanned for Hornby's recent release?

Keith

This thread seems in acute danger of replicating the 'Announcements' thread elsewhere, so I'm going to be deeply unfashionable and ignore the ruddy Radial, and instead provide some personal feedback on the weekend's show.

Arrived circa 2pm, after walking from North 4 car park that has a different Postal Region from the halls.  If anyone thinks baby trains aficionados are a strangely attired bunch, then there was stiff competition from the frankly ludicrous sci-fi herd attending the Comics Show.  I heard one young woman bought a £140 fancy dress simply to attend this event.  Truly head-shaking stuff.  For the second year running, our biker jackets prompted ticket sellers to point us to Motorcycle Live across the lobby.  Oh how we chuckled as we pointed out we were here to play trains instead.

The cost was pretty much in line with what I'd expect for an event of this size.  The tenner for parking still hurts though, and £9.20 for two bottles of Stella Cidre inside was frankly beyond a joke.  Personal coup was raking in a pair of Bachy 12T vent vans from their stand for a tenner courtesy of Dennis Lovett.  Cheers!  

I soon sorted out my 'messages' at the Alan Gibson stand - thumbs-up for truly excellent service here, as I navigated the minefield of product with which I am profoundly unfamiliar.

Our anti-clockwise foray soon brought us back to front-of-house and at this point, fourish, we were underwhelmed by the quantity of decent layouts we'd seen.  However, we need not have worried.  A second thrust deep into the core of the hall revealed a cluster of truly fantastic projects including Alloa, Old Elms Road, Leicester South (GC), Halston, and a number of others whose names escape me for now.  Well worth the entry fee for about half a dozen of these in their own right.  

Old Elms Road - unless I'm much mistaken - featured a weathered and detailed maroon Western that ran through at line speed hauling a postal, and as I scoured its roof for the Dapol lifting eye detail, I realised it was a very tidily presented Lima specimen.  That's what I'd describe as inspirational!!!   Their road system was another great dimension, and they deserve an award for almost building an entire bus garage on a bridge!

At Alloa I had intended to say Hi to Jamie (erstwhile of this parish), but despite spending several indulgent periods there absorbed in the superb Clackmannanshire atmosphere, I failed miserably; he must have been touring the event.  Apologies (you could have had some Carlisle-bound EM wheels off me too!).  The Welsh NG layout with surf breakers and some lovely non-cliched cameos deserves mention too (Clydach?).  Blink and you'd miss this masterpiece, though, as it seemed to have a perpetual crowd around it.

This year I really did 'get' the Tri-ang layouts, with figures of eight and block trains from catalogue covers past that as a kid I could only fantasize about.  These to me really epitomise the raw fun to be had from the hobby, and which will have attracted perhaps the majority of a certain age group whose interest was fired as children.  I had always questioned their 'fit' at shows like this before, but today I really was sold on the sixties table-top set-ups.

Over at Heljan, the fresh Hunslet 05s were looking filigree - the cab roofs are suitably thin in appearance, a characteristic feature of the real thing. 

Trade support I thought was nicely balanced.  The box-shifters were the usual mixed bag.  I noticed plenty of evidence of the chaotic red box pricing - a silver and pewter WSMR DVT for £47 next to the lousy B&G Gresley buffet at an eye-watering £52.  But keep your eyes open and there are decently priced Bachmann MkIs pegged below £28, some well below.  It was good to see Warley's old school department store A.Oakes with a presence too, knocking out S/H stuff at pocket money prices to interested youngsters there with mum and dad.

A good afternoon out.  Be patient and the popular, crowded layouts will reward your time.  Don't get sucked into the new product hype, that's a distraction - there's plenty of inspirational modelling to feast your eyes on, and if you're that way inclined with the tenacity of a magpie, there are still some shiny bauble bargains to be had when the doors open tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Pay must be good at Colas! :jester:

Keith

credit card, 0% on purchases for 3 months!

i only intended to buy the 66, very nearly bought one via model rail last week but held out til today, saved myself £22 on RRP

the ioa's, again been eyeing them on on hattons, but got them today from model rail direct, £50 for the 4 so £2 more than hattons but no p+p so happy there, got the loads to go in them off the same stand too, i'll probaly end up with another 4 at some point

kernow clay wagons, hmmmm that was a bit of a splurge to be honest, been wanting a rake of them for a while but not cheap, got them from a trader (not kernow) still not cheap but the start of a rake!!

signals, from howes 2nd hand box, £5 a piece (with a bit of discount for taking the lot)

things i passed on but very nearly bought, sherwood models had a rake of Dapol side tippers for £85, locomotion had a schenker 60 "spirt of tom nedell" for £100, couple of traders had the arriva blue 67 for £92, all of which very nearly got the credit card flexing but i resisted

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed myself today

Layout wise first time ive seen banbury and hinksey in the flesh, although i did see the real thing last night!!

... as would a lot of people going to the show by train from the Oxford direction.

Spend wise, hmmmm, where do I hide this lot.

Probably in the same place as ...

... well I'm no expert (honest) - but I suspect it might be slightly easier if you didn't advertise its existence. (Please don't take this the wrong way -  I'm definitely not taking a "pop".)

I had a good day 1 at the show did my shopping. i have also upset some one at Hornby i told them they made toys and asked what they will do to get me as a customer, the man at the stall was speech less then said that the VEP was a mistake and the new locos are up to high standers. I think the new boys will be getting my business in the further. tomorrow (i think it is now today) i look forward to seeing the layout.

Richard 

There were some excellent layouts.

Personal impressions were that there might have been slightly less of them than some years (possibly slightly more than some others).

As for "toys", I can think of some people who might suggest that you have a point - after all, most of them are being sold for people to run round in circles, or to go back and forth on a shelf.

Coming from Wales, I don't know enough about the VEP to pass comment - but I don't think anyone could honestly say that every "red box" release has always been to the highest standards.

For some inexplicable reason, Pacers and Networkers spring to mind ... .

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

.. well I'm no expert (honest) - but I suspect it might be slightly easier if you didn't advertise its existence. (Please don't take this the wrong way -  I'm definitely not taking a "pop)

its ok, its only hiding them from my wife, and she doesnt know a 66 from a pot plant!!

chard: regards parking, i parked at hapton in arden station, free parking and a train every 1/2 hour to international and when you head back to the motorway you can avoid the NEC junction in both directions, i came in via dorridge and out via the M6 so didnt touch the M42 at all

One of the big advantages of modelling N gauge is that it's so much easier to sneak purchases past MrsJ!! They'd have been no chance if I modelled 0 - I'd have been in a lot of trouble.

I had a great day at the show, it was worth staying till 5ish as it really thinned out later. Totally agree that the first glance of the layouts was a bit disappointing but closer looks very rewarding. A few too many unfinished layouts for me.

I had a good day 1 at the show did my shopping. i have also upset some one at Hornby i told them they made toys and asked what they will do to get me as a customer, the man at the stall was speech less then said that the VEP was a mistake and the new locos are up to high standers. I think the new boys will be getting my business in the further. tomorrow (i think it is now today) i look forward to seeing the layout.

Richard 

Perhaps Hornby will reply by telling you that your English grammar is very poor.

Richard

That does seem a bit harsh. After all, the people on the stands aren't responsible for making the models, they are just there to answer questions. I see no reason to boast about having made somebody speechless and in fact think that it's more than a little tasteless that you have done so

It might also be advisable to remember as well that model railways in this country would almost certainly be a fraction of the popularity without Hornby and all that it has done over the years, and that publically condemning them for a product you didn't like could be seen as being more than a little churlish. Vote with your feet and don't buy it if you don't like it.

On another point: I entered this hobby by playing with their toys, as did practically all of my friends who do this too. Without the toys there will be a lot of nice layouts with nobody to operate them in a few years time as there will be no young entrants to the hobby any more

Well, I'm about to set off. Hopefully there's be plenty of good stuff to see, just the right amount of stuff to buy - enough to make me think I've got a few bargains, not so much that I'm tempted to over-spend :-)

Guest Belgian

I get what yo are saying, but there may have been a confidentiality agreement (CDA) preventing people from revealing it had been scanned by an interested party

Even so, I imagine there would be ways to at least broadly suggest to a potential manufacturer that another has already done it. It seems the class 71's current custodians at Barrow Hill have kept postponing Dave Jones' attempts to scan it at present, seeing as Hornby must have done it some time ago, although Dave is still intent in carrying on, according to his reply to my suggestion that he changes course and produces a 74. He said to look at an announcement on Tuesday (see the Hornby 2015 thread)

JE

I'm rather miffed about this year's Warley show. Not the show itself, but by the fact that for the first time in a decade I have been unable to make my annual 2 day pilgrimage to the NEC. What is especially upsetting is that I'll miss the Saturday and Sunday meet-ups, where faces were put to names, and friends, foes and old lags (sometimes all in one person) met up with and chatted to.

I look forward to your pictures of the show and will now start my planning for Warley 2016 (not gonna miss that one)

iD

Even so, I imagine there would be ways to at least broadly suggest to a potential manufacturer that another has already done it. It seems the class 71's current custodians at Barrow Hill have kept postponing Dave Jones' attempts to scan it at present, seeing as Hornby must have done it some time ago, although Dave is still intent in carrying on, according to his reply to my suggestion that he changes course and produces a 74. He said to look at an announcement on Tuesday (see the Hornby 2015 thread)

JE

I've had to sign more than my fair share of confidentiality agreements in my various jobs. Believe me, if there was the slightest hint given (assuming there was one in place) then the law is rather unforgiving. Even broad suggestions are not allowed, and the owners of the 71 could have found themselves in very hot water if they broke the agreement in such a way

Believe me, if there was the slightest hint given (assuming there was one in place) then the law is rather unforgiving. Even broad suggestions are not allowed, and the owners of the 71 could have found themselves in very hot water if they broke the agreement in such a way

That'll be 'full injunctive relief' then.

Not nearly so much fun as it sounds.

JE

Dave has stated, yet again, that he has already scanned it, when it was ideally situated during a shed move at Barrow, and will deliver the model in 2015. Hornby are stating they will not come to market with the 71 until 2016 and have not referred to any scanning having been done thus far.

• RMweb Gold

its ok, its only hiding them from my wife, and she doesnt know a 66 from a pot plant!!

chard: regards parking, i parked at hapton in arden station, free parking and a train every 1/2 hour to international and when you head back to the motorway you can avoid the NEC junction in both directions, i came in via dorridge and out via the M6 so didnt touch the M42 at all

If you are going and contemplating a purchase/s,the best parking spot is the B.I .station car park for a fiver.Over the footbridge and straight on to Hall 5. Buy & then get a pass out stamp to put them in the boot of the car.It worked for me yesterday.Another tip: look hard for bargains and don't be shy of making a cash offer.That also worked in one case.So take loads of Wonga with you.Yesterday,the nearest cashpoint to Hall 5 was u/s,so be warned.Take your loco to the test track and get it tested to avoid the gnashing of teeth when you get it home.Don't forget to ensure it looks o k & is with all its bits in place.

Enjoy!

Archived